Redbox (Lionsgate) titles without HD audio
I'm an infrequent renter from the Redbox kiosks. Usually i wait for their free rental texts each month before i visit again...

I'm noticing a disturbing trend though. I rented The Hunger Games a few days ago, and today I brought back Cabin in the Woods. These are both Lionsgate releases, and both of them have the HD audio stripped from the disc, and only provide a DD 5.1 track. Hell, on the Cabin in the Woods disc it even has a DTS-MA HD label imprinted on the disc! I decrypted them and poked around in the titles seeing if it was an obscure playlist that had the HD audio, but none were to be found.

I understand not including special features and extended/director's cuts on rental BDs, but stripping away audio tracks?!? I've not noticed this on any Netflix titles yet, but I guess it's only a matter of time. Hopefully this is just Lionsgate doing this, and not all the studios start doing this...

Anyone else notice any rental titles with the HD audio stripped from it?
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
My non-Redbox rental of Hunger Games had the HD audio - DTS-MA in fact...haven't seen this anywhere from my end north of the 49.

I don't understand how or why that would be feasible? You wouldn't think the price differential for a single-layer BR disc with stripped features would be that much cheaper than the standard mass-produced model with all the features...strange indeed.

--------------------------------------------------

Everything I've checked locally matches up with what I've seen here: http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Found this: http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definit...stion.html

Looks like there is a "bulk" version for rentals and such. Very odd and sneaky.
(2012-09-20, 07:43)thethirdnut Wrote: My non-Redbox rental of Hunger Games had the HD audio - DTS-MA in fact...haven't seen this anywhere from my end north of the 49.

I don't understand how or why that would be feasible? You wouldn't think the price differential for a single-layer BR disc with stripped features would be that much cheaper than the standard mass-produced model with all the features...strange indeed.

--------------------------------------------------

Everything I've checked locally matches up with what I've seen here: http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

I don't think it has anything to do with how cheap it is to produce, and everything to do with them missing out on a ~$20 retail purchase. $1.50 to rent, or $20 to own? Rent first, and if you really like it or need the HD audio, buy it.

(2012-09-20, 10:43)Ned Scott Wrote: Found this: http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definit...stion.html

Looks like there is a "bulk" version for rentals and such. Very odd and sneaky.

Yeah, i went over some forum posts from a few sites as well. It's actually pretty alarming. Red is a Summit Ent. release also , not Lionsgate. So there are multiple studios practicing this BS.
Looks like i'll be curtailing my Redbox rentals, as I've not had this experience from Netflix.... yet.

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Netflix is doing it too. What To Expect When You're Expecting, The Hunger Games, & Cabin In The Woods all had no HD audio. Just Dolby 640. Stupid. Like the movies studios being a-holes is going to make it more likely for me to buy it.
<whatever head-shaking emoticon fits here>

And these studio knuckleheads wonder why people steal their products!?

Renting a movie shouldn't short-change the consumer - at least they're paying for the privilege of watching the film....
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
ive been googling for an online petition to get this stopped but found nothing Sad
I don't see the movie studios responding to a petition, honestly. Studios have not been happy with the rental system since its inception. In the early 80's VHS copies were priced outrageously because the studios were wanting their cut of the rental market. This was before the mainstream retail of the film-to-video market. They've been trying all kinds of nonsense since then to undermine the rental market, and this is just their latest iteration...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Redbox (Lionsgate) titles without HD audio1