Private online library
Hey,

I've been using XBMC for streamed media for a while already but now I would like to create my own private movies library. However, I would prefer to keep the files on a remote server and instead of purchasing still new drives, I'd prefer to pay for a good server where I could keep my movies stored and watch them streamed by XBMC. Is there any dropbox-like site allowing for that? A site whose services I could integrate with XBMC?
What kind of videos or quality and size?
You need a fast internet connection and a decent dedicated server for something like that.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
I got a fast connection and hoped there would be a decent service allowing me to create something like that. Costs of a dedicated server are much higher than just setting up a home NAS server so I guess i'll have to pass.

Thanks for reply!
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

I think the big issue with this is whether or not you can stream your files consistently fast enough from a particular "cloud" service to have an enjoyable viewing experience. There won't be any bandwidth issues if you store your private media locally. Also, large capacity hard drives are pretty inexpensive. It's a one-time cash outlay for a drive vs. on-going monthly "rental" fees for cloud storage.
I see that now. Prices for cloud services are still too high to think about such solutions. I hoped for being able to access my library from other locations but I believe I'm grounded for now. Thanks, I will start looking for an extra hdd now.
You can still access you movies via a home server or NAS, you just have to look into solutions like VPN's or plex
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I understand many services are just re-selling Amazon S3. You can by S3 direcly and mount it a server with a small or no disk.
You will have to pay to store it, Pay to upload it and pay to consume it. (They do not do it for fun)

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

It is unlikely that managed & backed up storage will ever be cheaper than unmanaged local consumer disk.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Private online library0