• 18(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
(2012-10-25, 17:49)Bram77 Wrote: This one has been fixed. I'm not yet sure what's causing the errors when rebooting.

Thanks Bram. Just had a test and here's the code to auto-uppercase the $GFX_CARD variable:
Code:
lspci |grep VGA |awk -F: {' print $3 '} |awk {'print $1'} |tr [a-z] [A-Z]
Works nicely.
Auto uppercase code has been added. Thanks Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2012-10-25, 11:36)Flynsarmy Wrote:
(2012-10-25, 09:02)uNiversal Wrote: Under which user did you run the script?

It was running under the standard xbmc user.

I also got a black screen on boot until I removed nomodeset from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line at the bottom of /etc/default/grub like so:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=uvesafb:mode_option=1920x1080-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"

What kind of videocard are you using exactly?

EDIT: Never mind... I saw your post earlier where you posted that you have an Intel onboard cideocard.
In version 2.6 I'll remove the nomodeset for intel cards only to see if it will work with all intel cards.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2012-10-24, 18:39)uNiversal Wrote: @Bram77

Found a few of lm_sensors "tricks" this is obviously ION1 orientated, more specifically the 330HT but seem to work with 270 (like acer etc)

For the ION1 in particular we dont want to read cpu coretemp-isa-0000 values (for advancedsettings.xml) because these values are wrong! 28C (we wish)
So we want instead to query the nct6775-isa-0290 temperatures, the more accurate "100% to bios readings" is:

Code:
cputempcommand>echo "$(sensors -u | tail -n64 | grep temp1_input | awk '{print $2 }' |awk '{printf("%d\n",$1 + 0.5);}') C"</cputempcommand>

I won't be doing fan speeds for now. Maybe I'll give it a go later on. Thanks for the info though!
On my ION1 machine the following displays CPU temperature correctly, so that's what I'm using in the script. You sensors command does not work for me. It needs to have "temp2_input", not "temp1_input".

Code:
<cputempcommand>echo "$(sensors -u | head -6 |grep "temp2_input"| awk '{print $2 }' |awk '{printf("%d\n",$1 + 0.5);}') C"</cputempcommand>

Yours gives 28c your grepping coretemp with the head -6 , im grepping tail lol, but perhaps the driver in 12.10 is newer than 12.04 it works, I been using that command since karmic. But its not important in relation to the other issues.

I presume your looking through my many posts?

I tested things almost to death (my death), I hope its useful.

uNi
Yes, I'm working through the posts. You're help is very much appreciated! Thanks a lot Smile
I really can't do all the testing en debugging myself. It's just too much.

I'll hopefully find a sensors command that will work with all systems some day. You command returns nothing on my system. Head -6 seems a bit more logical but is essentially the same Smile

(2012-10-24, 13:06)uNiversal Wrote: @Bram77

usbautomount for devices left connected, is now fully resolved, please add to script if you wish!

Solution as I posted here on this thread.

For reference sake I have added all fixes e.g. ION internal CIR fixes, 24p/23p playback with 30x.x Nvidia drivers fixes, to my signature which you can add to script at your leisure and consideration.

I have also updated your script with typo and other small changes and its available here

Please revise adding xbmc to the groups required not just audio/video and not using $USER variable.

suggestion: The script should add playback 23.976p and 24p tweaks to all drivers versions

let me know if there's anything else I can do?

Some feedback would be nice! Blush

uNi

I've added your usbautomount fix to version 2.6 . I'll test it later this evening. Thanks a lot!
Both the CIR and 24p solutions are very hardware and driver specific. So I won;t be adding this. I can;t possibly add support for all types of hardware. This doesn't mean that your guides aren't very helpful! I could add links to your posts in the start posts if you're ok with that?

Yes use whatever you think its best, I would expect adding support for everything would not be easy, specially multiplatform, I would have though you add support for what you need or can test directly in some way.

Its a useful script either way, fantastic in fact. thx for that!

Its a shame to let any potential useful stuff go to waste.

thx

uNi
Hi Bram, I was almost there. Install seemed to go well but although the XBMC splash screen shows on boot, I get dropped to a command line. typing xbmc or xbmc-standalone both give following error

Code:
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Error: unable to open display
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
  window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Quit")
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Quit")
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: Screen for GtkWindow not set; you must always set
a screen for a GtkWindow before using the window
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_new: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_text: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_alignment: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_ellipsize: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_single_paragraph_mode: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_width: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_extents: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_window_new: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
  window.show_all ()
Segmentation fault

for reference lsmod gives
Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
mceusb                 17884  0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     32007  1
nvidia              11257759  0
snd_hda_codec_realtek    77876  1
arc4                   12529  2
ath9k                 131308  0
mac80211              539908  1 ath9k
snd_hda_intel          33491  0
snd_hda_codec         134212  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              13602  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                96580  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
ath9k_common           14055  1 ath9k
ath9k_hw              395218  2 ath9k,ath9k_common
ir_lirc_codec          12859  0
lirc_dev               19166  1 ir_lirc_codec
snd_seq_midi           13324  0
ir_mce_kbd_decoder     12723  0
snd_rawmidi            30512  1 snd_seq_midi
ir_sanyo_decoder       12513  0
ir_sony_decoder        12510  0
ir_jvc_decoder         12507  0
ir_rc6_decoder         12507  0
ath                    23827  3 ath9k,ath9k_common,ath9k_hw
snd_seq_midi_event     14899  1 snd_seq_midi
ir_rc5_decoder         12507  0
snd_seq                61521  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              29425  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device         14497  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
ir_nec_decoder         12507  0
rc_rc6_mce             12502  0
psmouse                95552  0
nuvoton_cir            21918  0
snd                    78734  10 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
rc_core                22330  12 mceusb,ir_lirc_codec,ir_mce_kbd_decoder,ir_sanyo_decoder,ir_sony_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,nuvoton_cir
serio_raw              13215  0
cfg80211              206566  3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
microcode              22803  0
soundcore              15047  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         18484  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
wmi                    19070  0
i2c_nforce2            13013  0
shpchp                 37108  0
joydev                 17457  0
mac_hid                13205  0
w83627ehf              42929  0
hwmon_vid              12783  1 w83627ehf
coretemp               13400  0
lp                     17759  0
parport                46345  1 lp
uvesafb                28804  1
hid_generic            12493  0
usbhid                 46947  0
hid                   100366  2 hid_generic,usbhid
forcedeth              67156  0

This on an Asrock ION 330HT-BD.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it as I'm trying this installer because of http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1222744 problem.

Ta.
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
That's strange. You have basically the same device as I have (ION 330-HT) and that's one error I haven't seen before. Maybe you could try starting from scratch again? Did you follow the exact guide from the start post. From beginning to end?

The start post has been updated for version 2.6.0. I've incorporated a lot of the suggestions mentioned the last few weeks. Not all, but a lot.
Thank you all so much for helping out! Please let me know if you run into problems with the script. I haven't been able to test it because I have re-installed XBMC like 40 times over the last month. I don't have the time to do more clean installations at the moment. Bugs are likely, so please keep me posted. With your help I can keep/make the script stable.

(2012-10-26, 22:43)Bram77 Wrote: Did you follow the exact guide from the start post. From beginning to end?
Yup ;-)

However, I noted somewhere else in the thread about removing xbmc and restarting the script. So I did that. No luck. So then I manually uninstalled xbmc and reinstalled it
Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Now it works - sort of... Got xbmc with video but no audio. I'm outputting to an AV amp via hdmi (as per sig below) but none of the settings are working at the moment. I seem to recall having these problems about two years ago (same kit) but can't remember how I fixed it :-( Job for tomorrow I guess, as it's getting late.

Love to figure out what went wrong cus your script is the closest I've come to a painless install of xbmc yet. Good job Bram.

Any help on the audio appreciated.

Cheers
A
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
You could try to re-run the script (version 2.6). If somehow the script didn't run properly last time the xbmc user might not be added to the audio group or something like that.
Are you sure all volumes are up and channels not muted? To check this run alsamixer from console.

@Bram77 libcec is part of the xvba packages it pumps in auto, one less to do! Feature added already.

Script installs stable xbmc, but it could offer cutting edge as well?

While your making a lists the IONHT CIR can be fixed as well , Link in my signature.

Th mini xinit upstart scrip is the way to go, problem is that if you press exit on power menu xbmc restarts, instead of going to terminal (no biggie)

Ill have a look at script tomorrow for anything that may have been left out, typos etc.

Im sure I have posts that just too much info... lol.

uNi
(2012-10-27, 00:15)chippyash Wrote: Now it works - sort of... Got xbmc with video but no audio. I'm outputting to an AV amp via hdmi

Go to System - Audio and make sure XBMC is set to use the HDMI. That fixed it for me.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11