• 5(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
(2012-10-01, 15:57)Bram77 Wrote: What do you mean by the 'previous script'?

Thanks Smile
The previous version of the script.
As i am forced to do again as i noticed after a reboot that xbmc starts and freezes with the basic background display and no menu items.
Also the shutdown command forces the system to go into single user mode and can't be shutdown, it keeps returning in single user mode, a reboot works - reboot -p just reboots the system and does not power down.
Under 12.10 the add-apt-repository is missing, and can't be added/updated, no even with the python-software-properties trick.

add-apt-repository used for getting the latest tvheadend version (3.2 beta)
That's correct. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to install add-apt-repository which would make things a bit easier. I don't understand why it's not in python-software-properties anymore. My 12.10 desktop installation does have add-apt-repository but I haven't figured out yet in what package it resides now. I can't seem to figure out where it's been moved by googling either.

Why do you use the previous version of the script. I don't understand.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
try
dpkg -S /usr/bin/add-apt-repository

this will tell you which package it belongs to.
(2012-10-01, 15:57)Bram77 Wrote:
(2012-10-01, 13:30)platinum8317 Wrote: @Bram77
I'm very happy with the last install. Everything went smooth and installed quick. Your script is very easy to follow and install. This boots up so much faster than Openelec and xbmcbuntu so i am very happy about that. I will be using it on both of my htpc's. So thank you.

There is just two things i now want to work through and figure out. One is getting the sound to pass through my actually sound card drivers and not the generic hdmi ones. Second is getting my remote to somehow not turn on my xbox360 when i go to power on or off my htpc. I know both of those are beyond your script. Its going to be a challenge but it should be fun to figure out.

I've tried rather hard to figure out how in the to give you guys reputation points but i can't seem to figure out how. It seems like it should be something simple. I'll keep looking tho.

Thanks a million.

I'm happy you're happy! Nice to know people are actually using the script and see it as a viable option next to the excellent other options available.

You can add to my reputation by clicking the reputation link under every post of mine. It's the button with "+/-" in it. It's a bit unclear, I agree to that. Maybe it should say something else. Adding to my reputation is very much appreciated Smile

Unfortunetly that "+/-" button you describe does not show on my screen. I've seen it in other types of forums. But for some reason either I'm blind or it doesn't show up on my. Maybe there is a minimum post level i need to be. So odd.
Bram, I used you "old" script just a few days ago, before you updated it Smile
I am now running on 12.04 ( which has the the ppa downloader )
Installed tvheadend 3.2 which has been improved a lot \o/
running your current version of the script to install nvidia drivers and xbmc.

xbmc@HTPC:~$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/add-apt-repository
python-software-properties: /usr/bin/add-apt-repository
In 12.10 add-apt-repositories has been moved to software-properties-common. Thanks for pointing that out wsnipex!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Due to the script not working on a 12.04 install i reverted to 12.10 to try again, but this is what happens every time ( installed clean for 3 times with the same result )
-Installing everything from your links in the post.
-Running the install script for nvidia. the script reboots and i can configure xbmc ( starts up correctly )
-I reboot the system either by sudo reboot now or using the xmbc power option.
-system boot into xbmc, i get the blue bubble wallpaper and the mouse cursor stuck in the left upper corner... xbmc freezes.
able to login via ssh, are there any logs i can check why xbmc crashes ?

Installation:
Linux install 12.10 for the mini.iso ( link given by you ) software install : Open SSH & Samba.
Nvidia setup with Lirc (MCE setup), no Dirty region rendering, no extra software installed.

My guess is a problem with the xbmc package, Sorry to say but i tried wsnipex packages before and had problems with them also.
With the previous version of your script (running on 12.04) if i killed xbmc it returned to a graphical log-in screen with user/password, this version drops me to a black screen.
stopping and starting xbmc gives the same result, blue bubbles and the cursor in the left upper corner ... frozen.
The script won't work with 12.04, that's correct. The problem could be in XBMC. But I've never had any problems with wsnipex repo. The only bug I'm currently aware of in this build is that dialogs won't close when hitting cancel.

There could be an xbmc crash log in your home directory. If you upload that to pastebin and post the link here, maybe someone can help you. Maybe it's best to start a new topic for it, so we don't go offtopic here.
Maybe it's something specific in your configuration. You could try to just reboot again after the first XBMC boot (without configuring XBMC) and see if is still hangs.

Here's an optional thing you could add. It's not XBMC-related, however, I find it incredibly useful and put it on all my Linux or FreeBSD boxes. This isn't my invention - credit goes to a former work colleague.

1) Append these 2 lines to /etc/inputrc
Code:
"\e[A": history-search-backward
"\e[B": history-search-forward

2) Add these 4 lines to ~/.bashrc
NOTE: might be easier to create new file and overwrite via scripting since commands need to be added near top of file.
Code:
export HC=ignoredups
export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
export PROMPT_COMMAND='history -a'
shopt -s histappend

What does it do?
For all your bash / CLI work it allows for a more convenient command HISTORY search. It differs from other CLI history options I've seen - easier to use IMHO. Just keeping hit UP - or DOWN if gone past - after a partial command entered until you find one you want.

IE.
Type in 'sudo apt-get' in the terminal and hit 'UP arrow'. It'll then cycle through all bash commands HISTORY starting with 'sudo apt-get' Of course it works with any previously used command like 'ssh' to cycle through hosts you commonly connect to. I use it everyday and can't do without it for any amount of CLI work.

NOTE: see if any of these commands are already in default XBMC version of the files and remove if redundant. Also, test out first to see if you like it.
Terminal commands are added to .bash_history as entered. You won't see it take affect until you make the file changes and then close and then reopen a terminal.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Version 2 of the script is available (start post updated). It's a total rewrite. It now uses the dialog bash gui to provide a more user-friendly experience and the code is a lot easier to manage for me. Please provide me with feedback of problems occur (which is likely because I've started from scratch)!

A plus is that I can use several types of dialogs now. It'll make it easier to provide extra functionalities in a user friendly way. I'll see what optional installation packages I'll add to the process some time this week (like tvheadend...)

That's a cool feature thethirdnut. I'll add that on my machine for sure. It's something I think OSX it's terminal provides by default (although I stay clear of OSX whenever I can :p)

I'll give it a try here in a second. I'll rebuilding my unraid server and my second htpc at the same time. So much fun.
@Bram77
I just tried the new script. It went alot slower than before. Also i didn't see any hiccups with anything. Until It reboot after installing xbmc. This time I'm doing it on my 2nd htpc. This one is a Intel C2Q with onboard Nvidia graphics. Unfortunetly I closed the window thinking it was fine. But It didn't boot into xbmc just the ubuntu loginHuh? I'm going to try again.

same thing with second try. although re-installing ontop of previous install it all went through in seconds. it did stop on

prepare_install_2.sh: line 274: cd: /home/xbmc/temp/: No such file or directory

but then went on a couple seconds later.
Does version 2.1 fix this problem (start post updated)? -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1200165

Hi There,

first thanks for making it easy to install this.
I was thinking off updating or installing a new clean version and because off your script I choosed the install a new one.

Unfortunatly it is not working for me?
All went well till the reboot and I receive a login screen for user xbmc.
When I login and type xbmc I receive the message xbmc is not installed.
So I run the script again, without any luck.

I then did sudo apt-get install xbmc which installed xbmc, but now it will fail to start with all kinds of error messages.
Mostly with FEH.py GtkWarning ......
I'm thinking that the install script didn't install all the features needed for xbmc.

I'm using an Asrock ION 330 with Atom CPU and Nvidea.
Who can help me out?
I prefer not to install the old way because of all the extra stuff I don't need.

Many thanks.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11