• 6(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
Did you use version 2 or version 2.1 of the script. I've just uploaded the new version a few minutes ago. I'm still testing with your help. So forgive me if some stuff doesn't work properly at the first try. if you can provide me with feedback, I'll solve the bugs as soon as possible.

I'm also using an ASROCK ION 330 HT. Maybe I need to do a complete a fresh install to be sure everything works well.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
I'd used 2, can I just reinstall with 2.1 or first remove xbmc?
Just try and run the script on your current installation without removing anything. We'll see how far you come Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Nope i'm afraid no luck with this version also.
Do you know where I can find some logging to see what could go wrong?
In most cases, if there is an error, you should have seen it appear in the log screen. I'll add functionality to log to a file to in a few minutes!

i will also start a new install so no faults on my end will be there when i will use your log option
If you run the script again the output shown will also be logged to a file /home/xbmc/xbmc_installation.log .

Make sure that before you run the script old version are not accidentally still present in your home directory by running..
Code:
cd ~/ && rm ./prepare_install*

then download the script with:
Code:
wget https://github.com/Bram77/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.10/prepare_install_2_1.sh

And run the script:
Code:
bash ./prepare_install_2_1.sh nvidia

At the start of installing xinit:
FATAL ERROR: Xinit could not be installed 'Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package ttf-dejavu-core.

At the end of the log file:
Installation terminated
Ok, that helps Smile.

edit: give me one sec...
Ok, please try again with the 2.1 version as described in post #82 . The problem should be solved now. Thanks for helping debug Smile

Tried again, installation looks fine.
Also the log has no erros or warnings.

When the system is rebooted i have again only the login screen.
When i login and type xbmc i get the message that xbmc is currently not installed.

Also i noticed that when the system is cleaned installed i have a high resolution, i think 1920
After the script the resolution is low, also the text is really bigger that in the beginning.
Alright. Use the first version of the script. That one must work since I've used it to install my current installation with it. If it's not working the problem isn't the script, but most likely in the packages in the repo's.

Make sure that before you run the script old version are not accidentally still present in your home directory by running..
Code:
cd ~/ && rm ./prepare_install*

then download the script with:
Code:
wget https://github.com/Bram77/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.10/prepare_install.sh

And run the script:
Code:
bash ./prepare_install.sh nvidia

Perfect, now xbmc is installed and started.
only my remote control is not working with all buttons but i will try and find a solution for this (maybe keymap)

Do you have some other posts or xbmc tweaks?

PS: thanks for you quick response and effort to build this.
No prob, I'll look into what's causing the problem. I'll revert the start post back to version 1.

I don't have specific links, but searching the forum will probably provide you with some. I believe there are some HDD tweaks in fstab possible that you might be interested in, but I haven't bookmarked the related topic.

I think I've got the problems in v2.1 fixed. A new bug in Ubuntu came to light because I've switched to add-apt-repository for the xbmc ppa installation. Currently add-apt-repository does not create the directory in which the gpg keys are stored (/home/xbmc/.gnupg/) which it should. This resulted in the added repo not being authenticated. Thus was the script unable to install xbmc. I've fixed this by manually creating the directory.

I've updated the start post with version 2.1 as a test version, for whoever is willing to help debugging.

I've updated the start post to allow for testing of version 2.2 There are a lot of improvements to it. It's starting to get there Smile.

I've added optional installation of TvHeadend and Oscam (untested) in version 2.2.

• 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11