Guide to TvHeadend needed
So, I've been working on this for a week trying to get my Hauppauge 2250 tuner to work with HTS Tvheadend 3.0 and XBMCbuntu 12.04. I have some channels showing up but I still need some help understanding some things:

Does it matter what network location I use for the dvb mux scanning? If I scan again using a different location will it screw up the services it has already found? If I want to rescan to a new location do I need to reset anything?

The Hauppauge 2250 is a dual tuner so do I need to use the same location and fill in the same channel name if it shows up as unmapped? I don't think I did that the first time and now my channels don't match up. For instance, the History Channel is AMC. So, did I do that or is the Service Name wrong from the mux or possibly the DVB network that I chose to scan?

I cannot find freequency numbers for Suddenlink cable in Arkansas or a network location. Is there such a database? that would be nice to have users upload the frequencies for different providers.

EPG data is blank in tvheadend. I've read that companies put this in a digital stream in one of the frequencies. Do I have to do something special to get EPG data?

Or do I have to set up XMLTV to get EPG data?
How does XML TV data work? Is there a free site to get the data from? When I tried to set it up XMLTV in a terminal it asked my to log into Schedules Direct, which is a pay service.

It sure would be nice to have a guide explaining these things for new users to save them hours of useless searching on the internet (most everything is outdated or non-existent). Maybe as the new version is officially released and more people are using the PVR functionality? I can't wait to get it all working and have one slick interface(XBMC) to supply all my entertainment needs!
hi,
what kind of tv do you wanna receive, satellite?
i am from germany so i do not really know if what i am about to say covers you too.
if your tuner is dvb-s2 or satellite tv you can select the location as you already noticed and regarding the location the starting frequencies are selected and scanned.
so if you choose another location, other frequencies will be scanned and if there is nothing to find on those frequencies, the system wont find anything.

the scanning process just scans for frequencies where the receiver actually receives a signal respond. so with the mux scanning complete you just have all the available frequencies for your region but not any channels yet.
so if you scan again you should still keep your before mapped channels.
when you start to map the channels to the frequencies the system automatically tries to recognize what channel lies under which frequency.

to scan a new location you just add the new location and on the status page it should show you how many muxes are awaiting scan.
the scan should start then anytime soon.

as far as i know xmltv is only used in europe and most of them are based on a subscription plan. i had a problem with epg too. after a while the problme solved itself as i tweaked the pvr settings and finally some epg started to load.
i set my settings to take the channel order from my backend and everything else also from my backend and on every xbmc start it loads the epg data from my backend. it is like an initial library update on every xbmc start.
You need to enable "OTA Interfaces" in TVHeadend if you don't use XMLTV for EPG. I use(d) only EIT grabber and that worked but it has a few bugs (sometimes it would give the EPG information for the wrong channels).
If you're using DVB-S(2) you can find the frequencies and other settings at kingofsat.net
Thanks meandor, that makes sense. Yeah, I am in the United States and subscribe to cable tv from Suddenlink. I thought I would be recieveing ATSC signals but it looks like, from the tvheadend multiplex scan, the modulation type is QAM256 and 8VSB. Although, none of the 8VSB signals have strength.

Snippo: Where do I enable OTA Interfaces in tvheadend? It's not on any of the tabs.

What would be wrong with just scanning all frequencies available to the tuner card? I guess I don't understand why you need to select a regional network in the first place? If the tuner scans to find available reception could there not be an option to scan all frequencies, or is the scan based on a regional database that can help map the channel?

Is the NIT-o Network ID important in the Adapter Configuration tab? If so, would I get that from suddenlink?
Maybe it's for DVB-S signals only. For me it's under Configuration>EPG Grabber.
I'm not sure how ATSC works but for DVB-S you definitely wouldn't want to scan all frequencies. You would end up with thousands of channels that are outside your subscription or in a different language. I think it might also slow TVHeadend down because afaik it does an initial scan on every frequency when it starts up.
gotcha- I was wondering why each time it shows muxes waiting to be scanned.
That tab is not on my version. Maybe it is device specific.
If you know the NIT-o Network ID will it just scan that?
@Cank/Snippo - I suspect Cank is using the pre-built 3.0 (referenced in the first post) vs a self-build from master.

@cank - if you're up for it, you could try compiling it yourself, that will give you OTA data
I only just found there was a whole new forum section since PVR was merged, doh!

Just to let you all know I'm about to make a post about the 3.2 release (beta phase). So worth checking that out.

Adam

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Guide to TvHeadend needed0