Lookling for tutorials, but having a hard time finding exactly what I need...
I'm about to embark on my first XBMC adventure. I am a Linux noob, yet I want to install my XBMC on Linux.

I'm wondering if there's a guide out there that'll help me with the following:

1. Installing a fresh Linux XBMC on an SSD drive (not a USB FDD).

2. How to make said Linux XBMC installation automatically boot to XBMC

3. How to install drivers for my build... or is this automatic with Linux? =S A

Again, I've never used Linux, so any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks everyone Smile
Just install one of the bundled XBMC offerings, such as XBMCbuntu or OpenELEC. They come with Linux and the XBMC application. Just boot your system with an installation CD/USB thumbdrive, follow the prompts and, when it's done, you can boot your system directly into XBMC. Typically, no special driver installations necessary. If you want to access the underlying Linux OS, XBMCbuntu would be a better choice; conversely, if you want an appliance-like setup, OpenELEC is better.
So everything should be plug and play? I don't need updated drivers for an Ivy Bridge CPU or anything? XBMCbuntu is that straight forward?
Bump...
Both XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC (as long as you install the correct OpenELEC build based on your system) would already come with the drivers you should require installed. Both of them are meant to be a linux install with XBMC already configured as the frontend.

Either of them are pretty simple to try out and then you can decide. With OpenELEC you download your build to a machine and extract it, and then there is an install disk maker that you run (it's called something like 'create_installstick.exe, this part you'd be doing on a windows machine, there are tutorials on the openelec site for other OSes I believe as well), you install that to a usb flash drive. Then you boot up the machine you are installing it to with that flash drive and it runs through an installer where you then point it to the drive you want to install it to (in your case, you'd point it to install to your SSD) Once installed and rebooted, if all went well, you'll be booted up and automatically running xbmc. If you try openelec, make sure to try 2.0 as the stable 1.0 version is based on Dharma, whereas 2.0 is based on Eden.
It's more likely that I'll run with XBMCbuntu. Is the install process similar to that of OpenElec? Plug the installer data on a USB stick, plug into HTPC and choose the SSD?
It should be someone similar, I believe XBMCbuntu is an .iso so you'd burn it to disc and boot from that (or you could probably put it on a flash stick as well).
Okay, sounds simple enough.

Thanks Big Grin
Yeah, give it a whirl Smile

Post back your results or questions.
(2012-10-08, 05:13)gabbott Wrote: Both XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC (as long as you install the correct OpenELEC build based on your system) would already come with the drivers you should require installed. Both of them are meant to be a linux install with XBMC already configured as the frontend.

Either of them are pretty simple to try out and then you can decide. With OpenELEC you download your build to a machine and extract it, and then there is an install disk maker that you run (it's called something like 'create_installstick.exe, this part you'd be doing on a windows machine, there are tutorials on the openelec site for other OSes I believe as well), you install that to a usb flash drive. Then you boot up the machine you are installing it to with that flash drive and it runs through an installer where you then point it to the drive you want to install it to (in your case, you'd point it to install to your SSD) Once installed and rebooted, if all went well, you'll be booted up and automatically running xbmc. If you try openelec, make sure to try 2.0 as the stable 1.0 version is based on Dharma, whereas 2.0 is based on Eden.

You wouldn't suggest starting with the nightly builds using Frodo?
This sounds like what you may want to try HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10
You get a cleaner install than xbmcbuntu, up-to-date (using alpha frodo builds, drivers and you may learn something about Linux in the process.

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lookling for tutorials, but having a hard time finding exactly what I need...0