linux is so complicated for me that I can not install windows
Best linux users,

I've installed XBMC Ubuntu on my laptop for using XBMC media center in combination with a NAS. This NAS is performed with a torrent down loader, but this won't work correctly.
So I want to use the laptop as a download machine, but I'm not that good with linux to use/install software on it. Because of that I want to install Windows again en de-install Ubuntu... (Sorry for that)

But here comes the problem:
- The machine doesn't recognize the Windows installation CD (original Win XP and also illegal Win 7)
- The machine recognize a XBMC Ubuntu USB-stick and recognize also a USB-stick with Ultimate Boot CD, but the system doesn't recognize the USB-stick when I've loaded Win 7 on it (I've burned it on the same stick on the same way)

I can't detect anything wrong in the BIOS settings.
I hope that somebody recognize this problem en can help me to solve it! I really can get out off it...

Already thanks for your help
Regard Thijs

Ps.: I hope this is the right forum to ask (If not where must I place it?)
Since its totally unrelated to XBMC or UBUNTU (ubuntu doesn't influence the ability to boot from a CD). I would say this is the completly wrong forum/place to ask something like that.

But i don't wanna be an ass and let this thread open. Maybe someone wants to give you some hints or knows something.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks Mephiz for let this thread open. Where can I ask this question better to get more response and keep the subjects together?

You say that Ubuntu doesn't influence the boot ability, but before I installed Ubuntu there was Win7 on the laptop installed with the usage of the same install disk...
So that is why I think Ubuntu has changed something I can't find. Or maybe there is some way to solve my problem or install Win7 by anther way.
(2012-10-04, 10:20)Thijsvdh Wrote: - The machine doesn't recognize the Windows installation CD (original Win XP and also illegal Win 7)
Would you care to elaborate what you meant by this?
(2012-10-04, 10:44)Thijsvdh Wrote: Thanks Mephiz for let this thread open. Where can I ask this question better to get more response and keep the subjects together?

You say that Ubuntu doesn't influence the boot ability, but before I installed Ubuntu there was Win7 on the laptop installed with the usage of the same install disk...
So that is why I think Ubuntu has changed something I can't find. Or maybe there is some way to solve my problem or install Win7 by anther way.

boot ability is controlled by motherboard BIOS.
Best search for that on how to boot from disk
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I've borrowed a illegal cd from a friend to test if the CD function was the problem, but both disks failed to run at the start up. When I insert the disks in another machine, these will run correctly (both of the CD's). It was only to show that it doesn't matter what kind of CD I've insert and that's why I've tried to install Windows by using USB. (I've copied the disk to a USB, both CD's I tried)
(2012-10-04, 11:17)Thijsvdh Wrote: I've borrowed a illegal cd from a friend to test if the CD function was the problem, but both disks failed to run at the start up. When I insert the disks in another machine, these will run correctly (both of the CD's). It was only to show that it doesn't matter what kind of CD I've insert and that's why I've tried to install Windows by using USB. (I've copied the disk to a USB, both CD's I tried)

just copying a disk to usb doesn't work. You have google for that to help
I know that the boot is controlled by the motherboard BIOS, but first I could install Windows by using a CD. But after installing Ubuntu it wouldn't work that way, so that's why I thought Ubuntu created the problem and that's why I ask it hereWink
But please correct me if I'm wrong.

(2012-10-04, 11:16)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-10-04, 10:44)Thijsvdh Wrote: Thanks Mephiz for let this thread open. Where can I ask this question better to get more response and keep the subjects together?

(2012-10-04, 11:20)Thijsvdh Wrote: I know that the boot is controlled by the motherboard BIOS, but first I could install Windows by using a CD. But after installing Ubuntu it wouldn't work that way, so that's why I thought Ubuntu created the problem and that's why I ask it hereWink

(2012-10-04, 11:16)Martijn Wrote:

well your wrong.
an OS can't just change the BIOS
I know that for this kind of question Google is the solution, but I've searched Google for almost 5 day's to find a solution... Without any result

(2012-10-04, 11:18)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-10-04, 11:17)Thijsvdh Wrote: I've borrowed a illegal cd from a friend to test if the CD function was the problem, but both disks failed to run at the start up. When I insert the disks in another machine, these will run correctly (both of the CD's). It was only to show that it doesn't matter what kind of CD I've insert and that's why I've tried to install Windows by using USB. (I've copied the disk to a USB, both CD's I tried)

I've read that a view times, but I've also read that Ubuntu (Linux) does something with a Grub or something...

(2012-10-04, 11:22)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-10-04, 11:20)Thijsvdh Wrote: I know that the boot is controlled by the motherboard BIOS, but first I could install Windows by using a CD. But after installing Ubuntu it wouldn't work that way, so that's why I thought Ubuntu created the problem and that's why I ask it hereWink

(2012-10-04, 11:16)Martijn Wrote: boot ability is controlled by motherboard BIOS.
well your wrong.
an OS can't just change the BIOS

If you performed a google search you would find tons of tutorials how to install torrent clients on ubuntu.

Quote:The machine doesn't recognize the Windows installation CD
Explain what you mean by this?
I know this, so I've made a bootable USB-stick (witch works on other systems)

(2012-10-04, 11:18)Martijn Wrote:

Indeed, I've found a lot of tutorials... (But forgive me, I want my familiar Windows back)

In terms of your question: The system doesn't run a boot device where Windows is installed on. When I put a Ubuntu or another DOS program (like Ultimate Boot CD) than it will be detected.

(2012-10-04, 11:24)zxz0O0 Wrote: If you performed a google search you would find tons of tutorials how to install torrent clients on ubuntu.

Quote:The machine doesn't recognize the Windows installation CD
Explain what you mean by this?

Just to be sure, you are switching your computer on and after the BIOS logo you are pressing the key to go to the boot menu. There you are choosing CD (Windows CD is inserted), after that nothing happens and Ubuntu boots.

Correct?
If you can boot from an Ubuntu CD, then use the disk utility to reformat your hard drive to NTFS. Shutdown and reboot your system with your Windows installation CD and see if it works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
linux is so complicated for me that I can not install windows0