Linux Choppy, slow XBMC video on ubuntu
Tongue 
Hi, this is my first post here! So I hope this will all go well...

I have just begun to configure a media centre using XBMC running on an computer with Ubuntu. I've installed XBMC but when I play the video (especially .mkv files) it tends to be extremely choppy, with the picture slowing down and speeding up every second. My idea is that the computer's specifications just dont do it, but just to be sure.

These are the specs (its an ancient computer)

Nvidia GeForce Fx 5500
Intel Pentium 4 (3Ghz)
512Mb DDR
256MB Video memory

Many thanks!
Would you be so kind as to enable debug logging in settings, then play a file (so it reproduces what you describe.
Please use a pastebin to share your debug logs, there are some useful information here about how to do this.

On another note I believe that your hardware is borderline on the minimum requirements. A quick search on a wiki will prove fruitful if you so wish to proceed

Greetz&Saluts.
mkv files can be processor-intensive to unwrap - combine that with, say, a high-profile H.264 video stream and you'll hammer many systems. So what you're tryign to play is very relevant here, as well as from where you're trying to play it (e.g. an SMB share over 802.11g wireless isn't going to be as good as NFS over GigE wired).

If you press i (I think!) while playing a file, you'll get an information screen up - that will tell you CPU load, amongst other things. Similarly, the System Information on the main menu (far right, System, sub-menu) will tell you how you're doing on RAM before you start loading a file up. That'll help check whether you're running out of grunt or whether something else is up.
Hi,

I've come back and figured that my system really isn't up to scratch. One thing I have noticed though, is when I play files on VLC it is much better and smoother. Is there a way to enable VLC as the default media player for all video files? I'm not very good at coding so It'll have to be basics here I'm afraid...
There is a way to add external player to XBMC, without coding knowledge, but will require you to Read This here and adapt it for your needs.

There are topics on this forum, which cover this topic, even if they are old, they contain valid information.

Hope this helps.

Greetz&Salutz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy, slow XBMC video on ubuntu0