• 11(current)
Req Teletext Subtitles
Sorry for a dumb question, but what is the status on this from a Kodi perspective?

As I understand this thread, there is no intention to support teletext subtitles in ts files or streams in Kodi, am I right?

And the available workarounds are manually entering the teletext page containing the subtitle (which usually is 1-2 s out of sync), or to remux ts files to e.g. MKV using some external tool?
"No intention to support" is not true, it's just that no one has bothered to do it yet.
I am also very keen to see this fixed. I have been watching live TV on Mediaportal back and frontend for about 5 years now, just switched over to Kodi (still with Mediaportal backend) and never had an issue with any subtitles, teletext subtitles were treated exactly the same way as all other subtitles.
Now in Kodi, I have to select teletext (v) then 199 to get subtitles on screen, at this point subtitles are 2-3 secs too early and all remote buttons are disabled unless I "go back" and turn off teletext, if I want to pause or something.
All Sky UK Satellite channels use teletext subtitles (SKY 1, SKY Movies, etc), so it would be really good to get teletext subtitles to work in Kodi the same as other DVB subtitles, for example, having to activate the teletext is not great.

Kind regards.
+1, this is very important for me now, especially now that my parents are becoming more and more hearing impaired. I'm getting the same issues as speedyrazor. It's there, but it's just not really usable yet. I've had to move to Kodi full-time for PVR thanks to Windows 10, and whilst Kodi is amazing in other respects it really needs a little attention on this teletext issue. I really hope this is fixed in Kodi 15.2 - there are people out there who really need it.
Since no one has picked this up it definitely won't be supported in Kodi 15.2.
(2015-09-27, 15:39)negge Wrote: Since no one has picked this up it definitely won't be supported in Kodi 15.2.

Ah damn. Is there a chance it could be looked at for the final release of 16.0?
add one for me and thousand out there but i managed to get wmc on win10 which is good enoung for me for time being if stop then i would swtch to media portal not kodi until teletext subtitle add on it.
Does anyone know if a skin could perhaps manage this better?
It seems it is more a bug than a feature request. Should just work after enable parsing for closed captions. It should show teletext cc here in Australia but when I go to subtitles i can enable subtitles but nothing shows. So I see's the subs in the video but not shows them. Astc cc might just be the only that works atm.
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

Don't forget the Thank User button if i have helped!
|
V
(2015-10-08, 14:35)stephendt Wrote: Does anyone know if a skin could perhaps manage this better?

No, this is not skin related.

Rjsachse Wrote:It seems it is more a bug than a feature request.

It's a feature request since we currently don't have code to parse teletext subtitles at all.
I am far from an ffmpeg expert, but can the ffmpeg libzvbi support be used somehow?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1847114

http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1415

/D
So closed captions only work for north America? I have read how atsc cc used ffmpeg to show captions. I see vcl works with *.ts files and shows subs as teletext closed captions. Most of the world uses dvb. I really hope this can be fixed.

Yes I see teletext working and can get closed captions working with teletext enabled. The issue is once you have teletext cc you can't seek the video or anything else because teletext has the control.

Why does kodi see the teletext subs and you can enable it but just does bot show. Seems half working

|
V
(2015-10-27, 00:13)Rjsachse Wrote: So closed captions only work for north America? I have read how atsc cc used ffmpeg to show captions. I see vcl works with *.ts files and shows subs as teletext closed captions. Most of the world uses dvb. I really hope this can be fixed.
It works with the dvb subtitles we use in New Zealand. My understanding is that it's just teletext subtitles that don't work. dvb subtitles do work.
So do you just go to settings-video-subtitles enable parsing of closed captions? I thought nz was same as aus. Wish a aus with windows can help with aus dbv subtitles

|
V
I'm using NextPVR. In Kodi, while viewing live tv, when you move the mouse and see the controls, move the mouse over the subtitles control (4th control from bottom right), then select 'enabled'.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Teletext Subtitles2