• 14(current)
Req Teletext Subtitles
(2017-03-19, 15:32)m33ts4k0z Wrote: Created an account just to add myself to the pool of those waiting...

Whats so special with the TvHeadend client that makes teletext subtitles work perfectly in kodi? AFAIK, it doesn't do any kind of transcoding for them to work. or...?
The Audio/Video stream isn't transcoded but it converts Teletext subtitles to a format that Kodi understands.
But many people are streaming from Enigma2 boxes or IPTV with IPTVSimpleClient for example and there it doesn't work.

Intel Core i5 2320 8GB 500GB HDD - Tvheadend + Kodi, Raspberry Pi 3 - LibreELEC, HDHomeRun HDHR3-4DC, Epson TW3200, Pioneer VSX-1123
(2017-03-19, 18:15)Leatherface Wrote:
(2017-03-19, 15:32)m33ts4k0z Wrote: Created an account just to add myself to the pool of those waiting...

Whats so special with the TvHeadend client that makes teletext subtitles work perfectly in kodi? AFAIK, it doesn't do any kind of transcoding for them to work. or...?
The Audio/Video stream isn't transcoded but it converts Teletext subtitles to a format that Kodi understands.
But many people are streaming from Enigma2 boxes or IPTV with IPTVSimpleClient for example and there it doesn't work.

I know I will be offtopic now but it looks like I've finally figured out how TvHeadend does that using ffmpeg... I came up with a command that works great. The problem is that the output that it produces is matroska(.mkv) with embeded srt streams which will work fine in kodi but it won't work in the IPTVSimpleClient.

The reason is that IPTVSimpleClient understands only MPEGTS streams and in their turn, MPEGTS streams only support DVBSUB(Image based) and they dont support any kind of text based subtitles. The interesting part is that libzvbi ffmpeg library has the ability to transcode to bitmaps (Image based) but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the built in ffmpeg dvbsub encoder.

This is the reason why all this fuss since it looks like we dont have a tool that can convert text subtitles to image based ones and we need special written clients that can stream directly from .mkv containers.

For some reason it didn't work the first time I imported a .mkv stream but it did work after I restarted my Windows KODI. it indeed works perfectly with the IPTVSimpleClient and here we have a solution. Of course the transcoding is innevitable but at least now we know what needs to be done for the channels to work with subtitles without using a specific backend. All we need is a ffmpeg command.

Still the question remains... How does VLC and MPC-HC do it? I suppose that they have proprietary tools that aren't open source and therefore cannot be used in linux?
I know this thread is old.

But I also "dream" of the day that Kodi will have teletext (or close caption, which term I should use ?). Not that I'm "hard of hearing" but sometimes it's useful to put the TV to mute and have CC.

I remember that one Kodi Alpha (or an RC maybe) 18 had teletext (don't remember which version exactly). It was working fine, for the exception of accentuated characters in French.

Then, all the versions after that lost this feature. :-(

P.S.: Using TVHeadEnd 4.2.7-44 under LibreELEC 9.0.1 on x86  and  Using Kodi 18.1 on AndroidTV and FireTV (and some more devices...)
Teletext and closed captioning are different things.  CC's are typically what you see in North America and works fine here for me in v18 here but you need to enable it.   Teletext is a different service different from subtitles but there are also internal subtitle streams on DVB broadcasts around the world.

Martin
He is talking about Teletext subtitles and is not the same as DVB subtitles that already is supported by Kodi.
All other PVR solutions i know of and even a cheap box can handle this but not Kodi.
You can ofcourse manuelly activate it in Teletext and select subtitle page but it's a lot of extra steps to do just to get a subtitle.
Besides that it's out of sync with that method.
But with TVheadend and when using HTSP protocol it works because TVheadend converts it to a format that Kodi understands.

Intel Core i5 2320 8GB 500GB HDD - Tvheadend + Kodi, Raspberry Pi 3 - LibreELEC, HDHomeRun HDHR3-4DC, Epson TW3200, Pioneer VSX-1123
(2019-03-01, 01:10)Leatherface Wrote: He is talking about Teletext subtitles and is not the same as DVB subtitles that already is supported by Kodi.
All other PVR solutions i know of and even a cheap box can handle this but not Kodi.
You can ofcourse manuelly activate it in Teletext and select subtitle page but it's a lot of extra steps to do just to get a subtitle.
Besides that it's out of sync with that method.
But with TVheadend and when using HTSP protocol it works because TVheadend converts it to a format that Kodi understands.
I use TVHeadEnd and it doesn't seems to be working. Can you point me in the direction to check if everything is correctly setup on my side ?

FYI I'm in Canada, if that matters.
I tested the files (*.ts) in VLC and I can see CC.
I even tried with HTSP links in VLC and it still works.
So I know that the data is there in the streams. It looks like my Kodi is unable to read it correctly. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!
(2019-03-01, 16:30)esenterre Wrote: FYI I'm in Canada, if that matters.
In Canada we don't have teletext, we use closed captioning in OTA as your use case suggested.  Closed captioning needs to be enabled in the Language Subtitles setup but is not a Basic option

Martin
(2019-03-01, 16:48)emveepee Wrote:
In Canada we don't have teletext, we use closed captioning in OTA as your use case suggested.  Closed captioning needs to be enabled in the Language Subtitles setup but is not a Basic option

Martin 

Same problem in switzerland, teletext subtitle not works fine. I can go to teletext site 777 (subtitles SF1) and there is one teletext subtitle line, but it doesn't update the text exept I press enter after every subtitle line.
(2019-05-04, 13:48)mindcook Wrote:
(2019-03-01, 16:48)emveepee Wrote:

Martin 

Same problem in switzerland, teletext subtitle not works fine. I can go to teletext site 777 (subtitles SF1) and there is one teletext subtitle line, but it doesn't update the text exept I press enter after every subtitle line.

Same behaviour for me. If I enable debug logging (and get the debug overlay on the screen) the subtitles will auto advance properly. Maybe related to UI refreshes which are suppressed during fill screen playback?
Tried this on Ubuntu with the latest distro package and it works just fine for me. Previously had only tried on RPi4 LibreElec. Seems like LibreElec/RPi4 video pipeline interrupts the UI updating during video playback.
(2020-07-18, 01:43)willat8 Wrote: Tried this on Ubuntu with the latest distro package and it works just fine for me. Previously had only tried on RPi4 LibreElec. Seems like LibreElec/RPi4 video pipeline interrupts the UI updating during video playback.

On RPi4 LibreElec adding the below advancedsettings.xml file makes teletext subtitles work perfectly for me (in Australia, Freeview teletext 801)

xml:

<advancedsettings version="1.0">
  <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <smartredraw>true</smartredraw>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>
(2020-07-18, 01:43)willat8 Wrote: Tried this on Ubuntu with the latest distro package and it works just fine for me. Previously had only tried on RPi4 LibreElec. Seems like LibreElec/RPi4 video pipeline interrupts the UI updating during video playback.
What are you using as the TV streaming server? Tvheadend? Because we know it does something special with the subtitles.
(2020-09-25, 09:56)End0 Wrote:
What are you using as the TV streaming server? Tvheadend? Because we know it does something special with the subtitles.

MythTV
I didn't end up leaving smartredraw enabled, it caused some strange side effects. But <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions> by itself works fine for me.
(2020-07-19, 01:31)willat8 Wrote:

On RPi4 LibreElec adding the below advancedsettings.xml file makes teletext subtitles work perfectly for me (in Australia, Freeview teletext 801)

xml:

<advancedsettings version="1.0">
  <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <smartredraw>true</smartredraw>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>

Works fine with osmc/RPi3 too. Thank you
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Teletext Subtitles2