Linux Noob about to embark on maiden XBMC voyage, a few questions.
Thanks mate. Not too keen on opening up the nettop as it will be under warranty, but after that is up I will probably look in to one of those as it is better than having a big receiver hanging out.

Nettop or not, I'm fairly certain that opening it up doesn't void the warranty. How else would people install more ram or upgrade the HDD?
Hello all.

I finally have my nettop and am ready to start setting XBMC up.

As far as I can tell, it has Ubuntu 12.04 installed on it at the moment. I think it has a graphics driver missing. I am trying to get it from the AMD site but I can't get the auto detect or the installer running (I'm unfamiliar with Linux). the GPU is AMD Radeon HD 6320.

My aim is to have the PC boot in to XMBC from the start, and I understand the quickest way to do this is to have Openelec installed with XBMC on top of that. Is that correct? If so....

do I install Openelec over the Ubuntu partition (I have no need for it as I only want to use XBMC)?
If there are hardware drivers missing, can this be resolved from within Openelec?
Hi again.

Please ignore my above post.

I have installed Openelec 2.0, the fusion build aimed at amd/ati chipsets.

It seems to be working OK, but I've not tried it extensively.

One thing I have noticed is that playback on HD files is inconsistent. Sometimes it seems OK, but I've tried files where the video seems to flicker. I have xvba enabled. I played a few files and pressed 'O' to give some dianostics but I don't know what they mean. Perhaps they can help diagnose the problem?

OK. I think I have managed to improve video playback now. I went in to the BIOS and increased the setting for UMA Buffer size from 'AUTO' to '512mb'. It seems to be working better now, but I will test it further in time.

The last thing I need to do is enable menu sounds. Apparently I need to 'SSH' in to the system and configure some files. I do not know what this means so I don't know where to start.

My interpretation was that SSH is to access the XBMC system from another PC over a network. Not sure if that is right but I can't find any guide on it that a noob would understand.

I downloaded something called Putty to try and do this from another PC (Windows) but there was a network error and it wouldn't connect. When I installed the Openelec build it had a couple of options during the install and one of them was SSH, which I said no to. Could this be why I can't connect via Putty?

EDIT: Solved

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob about to embark on maiden XBMC voyage, a few questions.0