Mediaportal - WMC best for WIN7?
Am completely ignorant of MediaPortal on Windows7 with LiveTV.

1) Is it the best server tool, to connect to the WMC server, running in the background of my WIN7 installation (that has WMC running and programmed with channels, and recordings already)?

2) Will MediaPortal pull all my programmed channels, for use with its EPG, or will I need to do all that configuration myself?

3) The XBMC plugin for MediaPortal works well and is integrated into most of teh functionality of XBMC, as long as I use the latest (or most appropriate) nightly build?

3) Do I persieve this correctly? WMC - MediaPortal - XBMC all working together with all the extra plugins running to make this an ultimate media tool for my WIN7 HTPC?
For me, I use 7MCE for recording HD OTA and watch Live HD OTA....I combined XBMC and 7MCE with this- "post #571".....

It's working very well so far.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-10-11, 17:54)bluray Wrote: For me, I use 7MCE for recording HD OTA and watch Live HD OTA....I combined XBMC and 7MCE with this- "post #571".....

It's working very well so far.....

I have that already, and use it to go back and forth. But if I had something that was a native LIVE TV tool in XBMC for use with PVR scheduling, and with an EPG would be worlds better.
1) I don't understand that question

2) You have to configure/scan you TV channels in MediaPortal TVServer again. MediaPortal is not using the WMC TV service.

MediaPortal's TVServer is a replacement for the TV part of WMC. You don't need WMC to use the TVServer.
You can see MediaPortal + MediaPortal TVServer as a full replacement of WMC.
The XBMC + MediaPortal TVServer is another replacement of WMC
The third alternative for a Windows backend is XBMC + ForTheRecord

3) Yes, almost all supported XBMC PVR functionality is implemented. Watching TV, listing radio, EPG, watching recordings and (simple) scheduling of new recordings is all implemented. Basic timeshifting is already working but this can still be improved.

Note that I cannot fully map all supported MediaPortal TVServer functionality on XBMC (like series recording and proper channel sorting).

2nd 3) Besides 7MCE, there is no real integration possible between XBMC and WMC as far as I'm aware. There is for example no PVR addon that allows you to watch the WMC TV channels directly in XBMC.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Looks like I will instead run XBMC and 7MC simultaneous and switch back and forth upon demand with XMBC LAUNCHER as 7MC works in the background to record my shows regardless if I have anything else running.
ktjensen - i'm not sure why you have to go back and forth?

as margro said, you can use mediaportal as a backend to xbmc...so use the live tv function inside xbmc, and (with pre-frodo/nightlies) you will be able to watch live tv, get and EPG and recordings...the only thing missing is more complex (or further) timeshift/recording...but the rest seems to work great..
Time shift recording is a must have for a basic PVR. With 7MC I just click on a show in EPG and record the whole series. Also with 7MC I have an IR blaster that can control the cable box, which can be hard to do with many IR blaster tools. Under 7MC it's all built in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mediaportal - WMC best for WIN7?0