Issue with playback of some .iso files
Hi there,

First I ran a Raspbmc on my RPi. Easy install and seems to work though to some bug on their RC5, it still comes with CEC support, and a config part via XBMC, which means that users who havn't that much linux experience, can easily add their codec license via XBMC.

The problem for me with RaspBMC is, that while it plays some of my .iso files (all my movies are imaged into .iso files, so I could remove the old video rack), and some others it struggle on, even though I have the MPEG-2 and the VC-1 codec inserted.

I then try'd to install an OpenELEC on my SDcard. It doesn't ship with the CEC, and I had to use SSH more than with RaspBMC. But anyways, if that would solve my problem, I've be ready to do that (even tho it ain't that wife-friendly Tongue)
Created a config.txt file in /flash, added my licenses, and excatly same issue as with RaspBMC. It plays some .iso files without any problem, and some others it struggle with. Those who struggle, plays a short intro, and freezes in black screen after.
Before I created the config.txt with the linceses in it, the struggling .iso files played with sound, but with a black screen. But at least I could hear that sound of the DVD menu, waiting for me to select play.

So here I'm, after posting the topic on RaspBMC, they concluded that it must be something with XBMC on a RPi, and thats why I'm here, to ask if any1 have experienced the same issues, and hopefully, the solution they found to fix it??
ISO playback support on the PI is an experimental feature. Until someone jumps in this area and fixes the issues the will remain open. In othe words, ISO playback works as it is.
I really hope there is someone that jumps in to fix the issues, otherwise I'm doomed with all my movies I ripped (guess there is around 200).
Are there any suggestions for other file types to use when ripping your DVDs instead of .iso, if .iso ain't being fixed in any near future?
Use Handbrake and encode to MKV or MP4 format:
http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
You can also use various tools (see Supplemental tools (wiki)) to just put the raw mpeg2 files into an MKV. That will allow you to use a non .iso format, but retain full quality without any re-encoding. You won't have a DVD menu, but you can throw extras into their own folder and MKV files, if you want those.
I just wanted to bump this up a little to see if anyone knows if there has been any change to the above situation. (apologies if this is the wrong place but it's really hard to search for "iso" and "dvd" issues with a 4 letter minimum search limit Smile

I've tried both raspbmc and xbian on my pi (with mpeg2 license) and they both play some dvd isos, but any with complex menus, or initial "choose language" menus they fail.

Some may think this is a relatively minor issue, but as a long time xbmc user (original xbox and pc) I have nearly 900 movie isos and multiple years of about 60 tv series and ripping to another format is not an option (and frankly, worrying about formats isn't what xmbc has ever been about)..

So, even if its not a priority, is it a possibility for the future or is there a fundamental reason why these formats don't work, and should I start building small pcs?

On a positive note .. I know some people criticise the speed of pi versions but mine brings up the menu for 900 movies in less than a minute, which is slow, but much better than the original xbox :o)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with playback of some .iso files0