• 8(current)
[RELEASE] Apple Itunes Podcast Browser (video/audio plugin)
Hi.

I've gotten this working in Kodi 18. Is there a way to force the plugin (or scraper, I don't know the innards) to download high quality album art? The imagery appears to be really low-res, like ~100 px.
Thumbs Up 
Thank you for this patch, that save me some headache. Finally got Podcast working again on my Kodi laie 18.2.  Cool
(2018-10-11, 20:06)tofen Wrote: I'm having a lot of issues opening certain podcasts with this add-on lately. Some have never worked, but some I know I have listened to a bunch of times before without any issue.
All of them seems to give the same error in the log file:

Code:
19:51:41.135 T:2500   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in position 20: ordinal not in range(128)
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Glenn\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.itunes_podcasts\addon.py", line 305, in <module>
                                                plugin.notify(msg=_('network_error'))
                                              File "C:\Users\Glenn\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.module.xbmcswift2\lib\xbmcswift2\xbmcmixin.py", line 300, in notify
                                                (msg, title, delay, image))
                                            UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in position 20: ordinal not in range(128)
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
19:51:41.200 T:3036   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.itunes_podcasts/video/podcast/items/1208492513/
19:51:41.202 T:3036   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.itunes_podcasts/video/podcast/items/1208492513/) failed

It seems it's a certain character that it can't figure out. Anyone who can help me solve this?
I'd very much appreciate if someone was willing to give this a crack. Thanks'!

That's the error they give you, but the underlying issue is that urllib2 is old. I had podcasts that weren't working with all ascii characters, the real problem is that urllib2 isn't up-to-date enough to verify SSL connections from some websites. I was able to fix it using urllib3, but I don't know how to submit the update.

Was able to see the varvet and varvet international podcasts after updating as well.
Hi folks,
first and foremost: thanks for your great work!
After some hassle I got the addon working with Kodi 18.1 (LibreELEC) and can play all my podcasts. No problems there.

BUT: In the list, I now only see the icon of the podcast, for every episode the same. Not the default symbols for unwatched/watched items, like it was before the patch for 18.1. Since I follow multiple different podcasts, I miss the at-one-glance-overview, if I had watched these specific episode before, I really miss the checkmark for watched items.

I have already tried to fiddle with the thumbnails in the view by experimenting inside the addon.py, and even traced it down to the following lines (with help of post #85):
Code:
'thumbnail': podcast['thumb'],
Code:
'thumbnail': item['thumb']
But I never found a way to change one of these to show the checkmarks again.

Do you have any hint as how to get the default symbols (watched/unwatched) back?
Thanks alot and greetings from Hamburg!
Bert
(2018-04-21, 09:29)predakanga Wrote: For anyone wanting to use this addon with Kodi 18, you'll need to either patch xbmcswift2 (see here for changes), or install the unofficial update I've published: https://github.com/predakanga/xbmcswift2.../tag/2.4.1

Thanks! This worked and the addon is working now! Smile
Is anyone else having problems with the Apple Itunes Podcast Browser? It was working fine for me on 12/17/2019 but on 12/18 it no longer displays My Podcasts in the first menu. Also that menu still lists Audio Podcasts and Video Podcasts but if you click on either one you just end up looking at the same menu of those two items. This happens on my libreelec box and on my laptop that is running Linux Mint 19.2 and Kodi 18.5. Any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance
(2019-12-19, 10:44)lurker0 Wrote: Is anyone else having problems with the Apple Itunes Podcast Browser? It was working fine for me on 12/17/2019 but on 12/18 it no longer displays My Podcasts in the first menu. Also that menu still lists Audio Podcasts and Video Podcasts but if you click on either one you just end up looking at the same menu of those two items. This happens on my libreelec box and on my laptop that is running Linux Mint 19.2 and Kodi 18.5. Any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance

My apologies, it looks like the same problem was reintroduced that was fixed before by using the info in post #95
(2018-04-21, 09:29)predakanga Wrote: For anyone wanting to use this addon with Kodi 18, you'll need to either patch xbmcswift2 (see here for changes), or install the unofficial update I've published: https://github.com/predakanga/xbmcswift2.../tag/2.4.1

So xbmcswift2 has been updated to 2.5.0 which breaks the Apple Itunes podcast addon. If i revert back to this patched 2.4.1 and then turn off the auto-update it works again.  I am just curious is this update managed by Kodi admins anymore?  Thank you.
For those that are still interested in this addon like me, I've made a fix that you can apply without downgrading xbmcswift and by proxy not break any addons that depend on the later versions of xbmcswift.

In the 'addon.py' replace this entire area with the code below and the addon should work again as expected.
Quote:@plugin.route('/')
def show_root():

if 'audio' in xbmc.getInfoLabel('Container.FolderPath'):
        content_type = 'audio'
    else:
        content_type = 'video'

#content_type = 'audio'
    #xbmc.log('THIS IS THE CONTENT_TYPE ' + str(content_type))
    items = (
        {'label': _('browse_by_genre'), 'path': plugin.url_for(
            endpoint='show_genres',
            content_type=content_type
        )},
        {'label': _('show_my_podcasts'), 'path': plugin.url_for(
            endpoint='show_my_podcasts',
        )},
        {'label': _('search_podcast'), 'path': plugin.url_for(
            endpoint='search',
        )},
    )
    return plugin.finish(items)
Here's a more convenient release.

https://github.com/mitigd/plugin.video.i.../1.1.6-fix
(2020-03-11, 21:33)mitigd Wrote: Here's a more convenient release.

https://github.com/mitigd/plugin.video.i.../1.1.6-fix

Thanks a lot, saved me. Was about to uninstall the whole plugin, thought it was dead.
Hi,
the addon is working but the podcasts which I've added to "my podcasts" disappear after restarting kodi and I have to add them again.

Can someone confirm this issue?
it seems that the my_podcasts.json will be overwritten (empty) when starting the podcast addon after a reboot of kodi

here is the error in the log:
Quote:2020-04-17 15:09:09.536 T:9755   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.OSError'>
                                            Error Contents: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.itunes_podcasts/.storage/my_podcasts.json'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.itunes_podcasts/addon.py", line 303, in <module>
                                                plugin.run()
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/script.module.xbmcswift2/lib/xbmcswift2/plugin.py", line 349, in run
                                                storage.close()
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/script.module.xbmcswift2/lib/xbmcswift2/storage.py", line 74, in close
                                                self.sync()
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/script.module.xbmcswift2/lib/xbmcswift2/storage.py", line 66, in sync
                                                os.remove(self.filename)
                                            OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.itunes_podcasts/.storage/my_podcasts.json'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
2020-04-17 15:09:15.580 T:9765 WARNING: [xbmcswift2] No converter provided, unicode should be used, but returning str value
2020-04-17 15:09:15.584 T:9765 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2020-04-17 15:09:15.584 T:9765  NOTICE: [xbmcswift2] Request for "/video/podcasts/my/" matches rule for function "show_my_podcasts"
2020-04-17 15:09:17.415 T:9769 WARNING: [xbmcswift2] No converter provided, unicode should be used, but returning str value
2020-04-17 15:09:17.418 T:9769 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2020-04-17 15:09:17.419 T:9769  NOTICE: [xbmcswift2] Request for "/" matches rule for function "show_root"
Hello,

Apple_iTunes_Podcasts doesn't work for me (I would like add "France culture / la conversation scientifique" podcast). I'm not able to extract log file to analyse.

Thanks for your help.
Hello,

thanks for the nice Addon and the continuesly good work on it.

I just have a small thing, that could be nice. During the run of a Podcast the Addon shows just an universal CD logo. It would be nice to see instead the individuell logo of the cast. I have no idea, how difficult it is to implement, but I definitely would like it to have.

Sindbad6
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Apple Itunes Podcast Browser (video/audio plugin)4