[ANDROID] MK808 the current champ!?
Hey guys, this one might be worth looking at.

its the MK808, similar of course to the MK802 and UG802 android sticks.

so whats new about it? whats going on with it?

well, here are the highlights.

- uses the latest jelly bean 4.1 Android O/S
- first stick to use the RK3066 Dual Core 1.6GHz CPU
- 8GB internal storage
- 1GB ram
- comes with two WiFi antennas
- improved cooling technology

overall it seems pretty powerful!
I think once again this will be a non-starter for xbmc based on the chipset choice.

The rockchip SOC is also closed source and not open enough for xbmc to take advantage of hardware decoding.

The killer xbmc set top box will be in my opinion like this:

set top box form factor (more connectivity options and better wifi signal strength)
dual core CPU
mali GPU
1GB minimum of RAM
Open VPU processing like the amlogic chipset (eg Pivos)
Easily flashable to xbmcbuntu

I really think android is a waste of time on TVs. I just set up my Mele A2000 with the latest jellybean and it's an absolute pain to navigate/type with a simple remote.
XBMC is where it's at for a TV "OS" and the manufacturers just dont get it.
I'm hoping this dual core Amlogic box will be able to run linux. Should be available in about a month I'm told.
nice find. That could be the one right there! Let's hope they set the price point well (im thinking 100USD)
Quote:I think once again this will be a non-starter for xbmc based on the chipset choice.
The rockchip SOC is also closed source and not open enough for xbmc to take advantage of hardware decoding.

well, i dont %100 agree on this one.
i've seen videos clearely showing that this little stick
can play 1080P movies without a hitch.
yeah maybe its not HardWare accel, but hey,
if it can play 1080P using software accel, it still plays 1080p right?

Quote:The killer xbmc set top box will be in my opinion like this:

set top box form factor (more connectivity options and better wifi signal strength)
dual core CPU
mali GPU
1GB minimum of RAM
Open VPU processing like the amlogic chipset (eg Pivos)
Easily flashable to xbmcbuntu

im not saying these little android on a sticks are the best thing in the world but,
they do smart your dumb tv so, you have to give them some props no matter what.
android is a great O/S.

the form factor is a personal opinion, if u like more the look of a stb,
well, all good with me.
i too, would prefer a stb form factor in general.
but the stick way is portable so it has its advantages.

Quote:I really think android is a waste of time on TVs. I just set up my Mele A2000 with the latest jellybean and it's an absolute pain to navigate/type with a simple remote.
XBMC is where it's at for a TV "OS" and the manufacturers just dont get it.

the MELE A2000 is a pretty anemic android box. weak CPU, not enough RAM and more...
the RockChip 3066 kills it totally, so snappy.
navigation using the MELE F10 remote solves all issues.
as you know, its like a Wii mote and has a qwerty keyboard in the back.
many reviews say its currently the best air mouse on the market.

(2012-10-21, 14:35)Vaevictus2 Wrote: nice find. That could be the one right there! Let's hope they set the price point well (im thinking 100USD)

$66.99 free shipp
almost dumped $79 on this and air keyboard but glad i found this and a video on youtube showing hd glitching.

must be that bootleg china quality cpu.

Quote:well, i dont %100 agree on this one.
i've seen videos clearely showing that this little stick
can play 1080P movies without a hitch.
yeah maybe its not HardWare accel, but hey,
if it can play 1080P using software accel, it still plays 1080p right?

The issue isn't if it can play 1080 with hardware acceleration or not, the issue is if XBMC can access the hardware acceleration or not. XBMC requires an open source solution that doesn't have NDAs attached to it. That's what's currently being worked on, but isn't finished yet outside of some AMLogic chipsets. So it's not uncommon to see other players working in 1080 on just about every Android stick/box out there, but that doesn't mean much for XBMC right now.
(2012-10-21, 14:35)Vaevictus2 Wrote: nice find. That could be the one right there! Let's hope they set the price point well (im thinking 100USD)

No need 100USD, I found one only 75.89USD, But i have a mk802.
MK808 Dual Core
(2012-10-21, 12:45)Chris P Bacon Wrote: I'm hoping this dual core Amlogic box will be able to run linux. Should be available in about a month I'm told.

I have one, it works quite well
Where did you get it from?
Thanks!
(2012-11-06, 16:01)BrokenCodes Wrote:
(2012-10-21, 12:45)Chris P Bacon Wrote: I'm hoping this dual core Amlogic box will be able to run linux. Should be available in about a month I'm told.

i had my eyes non those models too, the ATV120 and ATV1200.
they should be able to use Hardw Accel just like the single core amlogic did,
(2012-11-06, 16:01)BrokenCodes Wrote:

Super, would you be kind enough to give us a bit more of a review please?

Have you had any other android box previously, Pivos or G+Box for example that you can compare it against?

This looks quite good to http://www.indiegogo.com/open-amlogic-box
the problems of WiFi take turns to harass me...
I have both the MK802 and the MK808. XBMC runs like lightning on the 808 but 1080p video playback is terrible Sad

However at the price points of $55 and 40 for the 808 and 802 respectively, with free shipping, you can't beat it. I"m using other video streamers that work flawlessly with HD, but their ui is lacking. I mount drives from my ps3 media server to play video and music via the boxes and have found they work really well, with the exception of 1080p.

I've had no wifi issues, other than having to move it from the far side of the house to a bit closer.

Here's my mk808 playing back with xbmc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWN_uITixB0

Here's my mk808 with 1080p playback:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a--YgbbJEk

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ANDROID] MK808 the current champ!?0