WIP New XBMC box/stick (Pre-Development)
If you want to make it more than just a media player then add an internal slot for optional 2.5" or 3.5" SATA-harddrive, that could also be used for local storage, NAS, and possibility even personal cloud storage.

People pay ~$100 for a decent media player, ~$100 for a decent NAS, and ~$100 for a decent personal cloud storage device (Pogoplug), so they might pay ~$200 for a jack-of-all-trades device based on XBMC?

It would not quite be a HTPC, but almost, so I think that should be unique enough for the press to take notice.

(2012-10-24, 19:00)mastercpt Wrote: I am mixed on the android vs Linux. I like the android option. I think I would have to see how they both run. I think the downfall on the android would be compatibility with file formats so would need to make sure it plays everything. I do like the android option if it can run HULU and Netflix apps from the XBMC interface (as well as others)
On Android you can just launch the Netflix and Hulu apps from XBMC, it is all the apps and games available on Google Play app store which is the reason why Android devices are hyped today and sell so well.
(2012-10-24, 18:46)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-10-24, 18:31)Dave_qp Wrote: as with so many of the current devices they don't have Gb Ethernet Sad which to me is essential

That would only matter for raw file transfer speeds. Not even raw bluray data will exceed 100Mb ethernet.

A complaint I read a lot with different devices is files play fine when connected via USB but when large files are played over 10/100 Ethernet they stutter... the average file size in my collection so far is 25GB so always puts me off buying one
I have to say that I don`t believe in Android as the main system in the background.
Yes it is good for apps and so on. But is stable enough?

I believe that making XBMC as the system an only that, as the user can see. If you get what I mean.
Less for an everyday user to manage, that is the most important I think.

I`m not an programmer myself, and not good at this. But less clutter is the best for the user.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
(2012-10-24, 22:39)pettergulbra Wrote: I have to say that I don`t believe in Android as the main system in the background.

I believe that making XBMC as the system an only that, as the user can see. If you get what I mean.

I`m not an programmer myself, and not good at this. But less clutter is the best for the user.
I think many (if not most) users here concur with your sentiment that simpler is better. That is the driving force behind the popularity of OpenElec. However, if you have a vanilla Linux+XBMC design, then you have to give up DRM applications like Hulu, Netflix, etc. That's a tough trade to make.
(2012-10-24, 19:00)mastercpt Wrote: I had 100mb ethernet setup and things worked, but had occasional stutter on some MKV video files larger then 10GB. upgraded to gigabit and everything worked much better

Something else might have been wrong, like the file sharing protocol might have been taking up excessive bandwidth for overhead protocol things. Believing that gigabit ethernet is essential for an HTPC is absurd.

(2012-10-24, 19:21)Dave_qp Wrote: A complaint I read a lot with different devices is files play fine when connected via USB but when large files are played over 10/100 Ethernet they stutter... the average file size in my collection so far is 25GB so always puts me off buying one

I read a lot about people who blame one thing when the issue was something else, but I don't base my purchases on it :\

All of my currently active HTPCs are 100megabit max, and none of them have had any issues with 25GB+ video files.
I've only ever had a problem with a few files when on 100 ethernet. Full blu-ray rips of The Dark Knight and Iron Man struggled during really busy scenes. Not necessarily the connection though.
Pivos XIOS DS have both Android and Linux images available for it from the manufacturer, and while supporting two operating-system images like that is more work it will be easier to detect problems and fix them.

Pivos XIOS DS comes default with Android 4.0 today, and only if you feel adventurous then you can download and install their Linux image onto it instead if you want.

(2012-10-24, 22:39)pettergulbra Wrote: I believe that making XBMC as the system an only that, as the user can see. If you get what I mean.
You can still do that with Android.

XBMC will just act as the main interface and the user will not ever see anything unless the specifically choose to launch a other application or game from XBMC's programs meny.

Just look as OUYA and Google TV, those are both based on Android but use a custom interface application that will also act as launchers of other applications.

(2012-10-24, 22:39)pettergulbra Wrote: I have to say that I don`t believe in Android as the main system in the background.
XBMC for Android is not stable today, no, but XBMC for Linux is not 100% stable on Raspberry Pi today either, as you have to give it time no matter which new hardware platform that you port XBMC too.

Realistically mastercpt can't have a new custom device available for us to buy in the next 6-months from now, you are more than likely taking about 12-months, and Android will be more stable by then.
(2012-10-24, 19:11)Jako Wrote: If you want to make it more than just a media player then add an internal slot for optional 2.5" or 3.5" SATA-harddrive, that could also be used for local storage, NAS, and possibility even personal cloud storage.

People pay ~$100 for a decent media player, ~$100 for a decent NAS, and ~$100 for a decent personal cloud storage device (Pogoplug), so they might pay ~$200 for a jack-of-all-trades device based on XBMC?

It would not quite be a HTPC, but almost, so I think that should be unique enough for the press to take notice.

(2012-10-24, 19:00)mastercpt Wrote: I am mixed on the android vs Linux. I like the android option. I think I would have to see how they both run. I think the downfall on the android would be compatibility with file formats so would need to make sure it plays everything. I do like the android option if it can run HULU and Netflix apps from the XBMC interface (as well as others)
On Android you can just launch the Netflix and Hulu apps from XBMC, it is all the apps and games available on Google Play app store which is the reason why Android devices are hyped today and sell so well.

That is a good idea with the internal drive, but couldn't you do the same with an external drive hooked up with USB 3.0.

I was not sure if you could launch other apps from within apps, that would be nice to be able to open the apps from with in XBMC, or even use XBMC as a "SKIN" with video/music playback and access to the other android apps. All the current apps out there is one reason why I do like the Android option. However I feel the Linux option will provide better media playback (maybe that will change as android XBMC gets better). Also not sure if I would be able to include HULU or netflix options in linux as they are not Official addons but would be able to in android.

Stable is the question. If I decide to go the Android option. I would want to make sure its stable to play everything. For the general user I think Android may be a great option as it would provide access to easier "apps". However if I do decide on Android, I want it easy to be able to install Linux on it for the more advanced user.

(2012-10-24, 22:48)teaguecl Wrote: I think many (if not most) users here concur with your sentiment that simpler is better. That is the driving force behind the popularity of OpenElec. However, if you have a vanilla Linux+XBMC design, then you have to give up DRM applications like Hulu, Netflix, etc. That's a tough trade to make.

This is exactly my delima. Need to merge both words together

(2012-10-25, 09:56)Jako Wrote: Pivos XIOS DS have both Android and Linux images available for it from the manufacturer, and while supporting two operating-system images like that is more work it will be easier to detect problems and fix them.

Pivos XIOS DS comes default with Android 4.0 today, and only if you feel adventurous then you can download and install their Linux image onto it instead if you want.

This would probably be the path I will choose, have 2 options.

(2012-10-25, 09:56)Jako Wrote: XBMC for Android is not stable today, no, but XBMC for Linux is not 100% stable on Raspberry Pi today either, as you have to give it time no matter which new hardware platform that you port XBMC too.

Realistically mastercpt can't have a new custom device available for us to buy in the next 6-months from now, you are more than likely taking about 12-months, and Android will be more stable by then.

Exactly. Hopefully in a realistic time table, it will be much more stable. Of course once the "hardware" side is taken care of I can start helping on the software side to provide a stable android experience. I think the hardware will be the most important thing right now since the software is there already. Once I figure out the hardware, the software will need to be adapted to run on it including any custom versions and skins.
just a crazy thought but with the right bootloader could you make the thing dual boot?
I've used XBMC for Windows for a while, but I am a Boxee Box user for my HDTV. With the recent announcement that it's discontinued, I Googled if there was a similar "XBMC Box" solution and found this thread. I, like the OP said, just wanted a simple out of the box solution that played everything with a great HDTV interface, which is why I went with a Boxee Box and it has met my needs well.

An XBMC box would be amazing, and from reading this thread, I just wanted to offer my input. I'm not sure the difference in Tegra 3 vs. Atom and everything, but whatever works works. Stability, playback ability, and quickness are what matter, whichever is best for that in terms of hardware, go for it, I don't think price is as big of a concern assuming it stays under $250. I wouldn't blink at a $200 box, obviously the cheaper the better, but many of us consider building HTPC's for this specific purpose, and that's always going to cost more than $200.

In terms of all the "extras" being tossed around, anything extra that can be tossed in is great, as long they don't kill the cost. A "jack-of-all-trades" box sometimes doesn't do the one thing it's meant for better than everyone else. If this is being built to be the king of local playback, then as long as it does that, whatever else is great. Yes, having Netflix, Hulu, Apps, Games are great, but not at the sacrifice of the boxes "main purpose" in my opinion.

I think I have 4 devices that play Netflix now (Samsung SmartTV, Boxee Box, PS3, WD HD TV) so I don't need stuff like that, but I do think the inclusion is important for true cord cutters, along with the "local tv" playback assuming the interface is also built into the XBMC software. I'm not tech inclined enough to know the benefits of Linux vs Android base, but again codec support/playback is one of the "main" features of a box like this, so if Linux is clearly better (or dual OS option), then it's not really a question, even if it means the lack of some of the extras.

One question I do have if people with hardware are experienced enough in this thread. I have an HDTV and everything, but my parents, and my uncle still have old school tube TVs and don't care to upgrade. None of the new boxes come with anything than HDMI outputs. Is it not cost effective to include Composite options anymore, or does it more so have to do with the scaling of the software? I'm not saying to consider Composite in this box, I'm just wondering why it's cut out of everything?
mastercpt:

Did this thought of your`s die out?
Largely depends on your timeframe. ARM/Android is not quite ready for XBMC at the moment. For example HD Audio support is missing entirely.

I have recently become involved with a project to bring an XBMC box to market, mainly aimed at the hifi & home theater sector. We are looking at android devices currently as 'extender' or 'lite' versions of the full product to bring multi-room capability at a reasonable price point, but the primary unit is still very much x86 based for now.

Can`t wait to see witch direction this is going. :-)
I think this is a great idea, in fact I just mentioned it to a friend here not long ago. Alot of the "what should I buy" questions would go away if XBMC would develop a box they would stand behind. I know this isn't XBMC but it's still a step in the right direction.
mastercpt:

Is this a dead project?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New XBMC box/stick (Pre-Development) 2