Linux Getting my MCE remote to work properly
Hi, I have a Gateway RC6 Windows Media Center Edition infrared remote control. Gateway slapped their logo on it but the manufacturer is SMK. I hooked it up and noticed that right away, the arrow, playback and mute buttons were working correctly. However, to select any item, I needed to hit the enter button, when the OK button would have been more appropriate. Also, the volume up and volume down controls were very slow. I had to push down on them over and over to get the volume to inch up and down. Also, my remote has buttons like 'My TV', 'My Music', 'My Pictures' which I would like to correspond to their respective places in XBMC, but they don't.

I looked at the WIKI and it listed all these different remotes but not my specific one. I installed lirc, and selected the configuration for Windows Media Center remotes, and this just stopped all the buttons from working. I uninstalled the package, and still the remote doesn't work anymore.

How do I get my remote working properly with XBMC? I would imagine there might be some custom button mapping going on here, and I'm afraid I don't know how to do that either. Any help would be much appreciated.
Exact same problem
Try the following:
  • Enable debug log (wiki)ging in XBMC.
  • Note the system time.
  • Press each of the buttons you want to map (pausing a few seconds between each keypress) and make a detailed note of the sequence in which you pressed them.
  • Exit XBMC and locate your debug log (wiki) (xbmc.log)
  • Examine the log file, starting from the timestamp you noted above, and see how XBMC identified each of your keypresses and correlate them to the sequence of button presses you noted above.
  • Create a keyboard.xml (wiki) file in the keymaps folder of your userdata (wiki) directory where you would assign your remote control button names to the desired XBMC functions.
  • Restart XBMC and see if the mapped buttons now work.
HINT: You may want to just map a couple of buttons to start... just to see if the keyboard.xml (wiki) approach even works for your particular installation and remote.
I was able to get it working usng Lirc. I selected the Windows Media Center remote and it didn't work, but when I rebooted it was all good.
Lirc worked for me as well

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting my MCE remote to work properly1