Custom movie fanart
I'm using the Confluence skin and recently i did a download of the latest source. I think it is fun to try the latest and to learn new things. But sometimes there are problems. I've already had a few and here is a new one.

Before i did that update and built from source i had created a lot of custom fanart files for movies. They are named as moviename-fanart.jpg and is in the same folder as the movie, it worked very good. After the update i still have all those files in the same folder as the movies but the fanart is not shown anymore. I tried to clean the library, update the library but nothing.

Has the behavior of custom fanart changed in recent versions and the wiki hasn't been updated yet?
When i look at the log i see no information about loading fanart or anything. Is it possible to see such messages on another log level? Would like to figure out why the images isn't shown.
Since i cant find the problem and i'm all alone with this problem i'm thinking about creating a folder for each movie to see if that helps. Not a perfect solution since i share the movies with MythTV, and this makes it harder to navigate. But in the future i would like to move completely to XBMC so i want fanart to work.

My question now is, is there a quick way to create folders for each movie file and move the associated files to that folder? Besides the actual movie i have the fanart and a nfo file that should be moved.
Perhaps reading this thread will help http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143920

The recommended is a folder for each movie named exactly as the movie_file which is placed inside and any files associated with that movie inside that folder, named accordingly.

its says here (and this is old information) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=FanArt

xbmc wiki Wrote:Movies via moviefilename-fanart.jpg in the same folder as the 'moviefilename' media file.
Movies fanart.jpg if the movie is in it's own folder.

So its expected to have a folder with a single movie inside and relevant files inside too. Obviously a great deal of things are changing in scrapers, if this isn't behaving as intended then it probably a bug?

Hope it helps.

uNi

Thank you, yes i've read that, and don't think it does help with my problem. Since the wiki says it is possible to use the format moviename-fanart.jpg for custom fanart, and it was working for me before a upgrade, i would have liked to get it working again.
But since i also know that one folder for each file is the preferred way i thought i could try that. But since we are talking about about 3-400 movies i wonder if there is some easier way to create folders and move files for Ubuntu?
Probably something like

Example:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#Add file extensions as necessary
#Create folders from filenames and move filenames into the created folders
for f in *.mkv *.avi *.mpg *.srt *.jpeg; do
    d="${f%.*}"
    mkdir "$d" && mv "$f" "$d/"
done

or another example

Code:
#!/bin/bash

for DIRNAME in `ls | awk -F_ '{print $2}' | sort -u` ; do
    if [ ! -d ${DIRNAME} ] ; then
        mkdir ${DIRNAME}
    fi
    for EXTENSION in `ls *_${DIRNAME}_* | awk -F. '{print $NF}' | sort -u` ; do
        if [ ! -d ${DIRNAME}/${EXTENSION} ] ; then
            mkdir ${DIRNAME}/${EXTENSION}
        fi
        mv *_${DIRNAME}_*.${EXTENSION} ${DIRNAME}/${EXTENSION}
    done
done

Both an example, not a proven or even slightly tested "possible" solutions. Test on a small directory with a few copys of files to see if it does what you want.

Further reading http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc/file-to-folder-script/ for windows .bat

Im not responsible for inappropriate use causing damage or data loss. Cool

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom movie fanart0