Apple TV2 - How to clear space?
Recently started having problems with my XBMC v.11 install on my Apple TV 2. The MovieDB add-on stopped working and my background images will often fail to load.

Not sure of the cause of this problem, but perhaps it is related to the lack of space on my internal flash drive? Just checked it, and it's at 100%

I read through the FAQ's, and found this entry:

4.10 Not enough space/memory
Shortcut: #Disk_space
Have you run out of space on your ATV2? Check with (via SSH) the df -k command. If any /dev/disk* filesystems are at 100%, use du -h / to see what's taking up space. or to show which files are, for example, bigger then 9 Mb do find / -size +9000b
First places to check are:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/packages
/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental
/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/Other
/private/var/cache/apt/archives/
See also #Thumbnails for saving space with smaller thumbs or moving them to a network location.

I can find these files.

My question:
1) Which files can I delete? Can they all be erased without undue harm? If not, how can I determine the appropriate files to remove?
2) While I still want to clear space, will that help the issues I noted above?

Thanks!

J
I just did this for my brothers atv 2 that I had jailbroken some time ago for him and I had no idea that these folders would house so many archives. I deleted the contents of all the folders that you mention and I was able to gain back almost 5 gb of storage! Once I did that, the atv was running smoothly with no problems

I am a novice on this and have same problem. Can I use the remote to delete files and if so how? Or do i need to do some[/align]thing involving my pc, again any isntructions would be great.

Cheers.

Blighty
You'll need a computer to SSH into the ATV2. See iOS FAQ (wiki).
or you can install an addon called HUB Maintanence which will allow you to do this from within xbmc itself. Check out the hub for the addon.

Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
This one:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/packages

is now automatically taken care of in Frodo. I think the default is that it will save 200 MB of add-ons for the rollback feature, and this can be tweaked via advancedsettings.xml
ned are your sure? I can't remember that spiffs pr about that got pulled in tbh.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-12-14, 00:11)Memphiz Wrote: ned are your sure? I can't remember that spiffs pr about that got pulled in tbh.

Yes it is. Should be advancedsettings.xml setting
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yeah, I remember bugging him about it before the feature freeze :)
ohh great Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for all the advice. If anyone can talk/walk a complete novice through it would be great. I'm not sure how to do what I'm informed will be a solution.

Regards.

Blighty
the correct path for me is:
/private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook/AppleTV/Video/Other
/private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental

i deleted everything in those folders woohoo so much better now

thanks all
Hi,

I am just looking to see what I can clear down myself on my Apple TV2 (Frodo 12.2) and came across this thread.

I have cleared out around 50mb from this directory...

However, looking at the directory from the previous post, the directory on my ATV2 is different. My path contains a 'Caches' directoy after 'Libary' instead of 'AddressBook'. There is almost 4gig in this directory on my ATV2
/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental

Am I safe to delete the contents in this directory? (I notice a file contained within here called: 'diskcacherepository.plist', would this also be save to delete?)

Thanks in advance
what command do i have to introduce to delete stuff
AngelI used Cyberduck and followed the directions for deleting items from the folders listed in the thread.
private/var/cache/apt/archives/
I did have to do the following:
http://www.fantaghost.com/how-to-fix-arc...untudebian

Only because the "apt partial folder" was deleted. Oops!
All working fine now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV2 - How to clear space?0