Win XBMC on Windows RT
Surprised that there is just one thread in the developer forum (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...dows+rt%22), while Android threads were openly discussed in the user forums.

I am also very curious whether anyone tried to run XBMC on Windows RT (Surface Tablet) yet?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I doubt it we don't even compile the windows version for 64bit yet let alone arm processors
(2012-10-27, 03:46)steve1977 Wrote: Surprised that there is just one thread in the developer forum (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...dows+rt%22), while Android threads were openly discussed in the user forums.

Maybe because Windows RT is an entirely new beast, while Android powered devices been around for sometime and are familiar to both users and developers?
XBMC works on Windows 8, so I would have hoped that it does not take as much work to port it to Windows RT? How different are those OSs? From what I am reading here, this is as much as a mission as Android was?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
The processor is totally different, too.
Windows RT cosmetically looks the same as Windows 8 but it's actually very different under the hood. You can only run ARM Metro (or whatever they're calling it this week) apps on it so it would be a whole new monster to wrestle.
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
(2012-10-29, 05:05)snarfo Wrote: Windows RT cosmetically looks the same as Windows 8 but it's actually very different under the hood. You can only run ARM Metro (or whatever they're calling it this week) apps on it so it would be a whole new monster to wrestle.

Hope someone is working on this though Smile

By the way
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2096820
I'm wondering what it will take for the XBMC team to take a serious look at Window's RT? Microsoft isn't going to let this fail, especially with low priced units coming out.

I believe the RT user base is going to really start accelerating now that the RT is getting priced correctly. I use the RT for home automation control and the only thing I'm missing is an XBMC app so I can watch my movie catalog.

Some may scoff at the idea the RT will gain traction, but the Surface is a good unit and it's going on sale at the Window's store for 199.00 this Thanksgiving.

I really think the community here needs to take another look at this OS.
Heading 'Microsoft May Finally Put Windows RT Out To Pasture'

According to this Slash article http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/11/27/...to-pasture

FTA: We have the Windows Phone OS. We have Windows RT and we have full Windows. We're not going to have three.'" "Microsoft may finally be ready to put Windows RT out to pasture. After ignoring pundits, the public, and a staggering $900 writedown, the subsequent lack of sales for the second edition of the RT "
I would be interested in this.
They should have just put the Windows Phone OS on tablets, the way iOS and Android were scaled up. Make it clear that it's the same OS, running at a higher resolution on larger screens, completely separate from the Windows ecosystem -- the same way nobody expects their OSX programs to run on their iPad and vice versa.

The problem was that once you call it Windows, the public assumes it will run all their legacy Windows applications, because Microsoft spent over 20 years making sure that every OS called Windows ran every program that ever ran on any prior version of Windows. There was no way to explain that Windows RT can't run the Windows programs you're really familiar with because it's running on a different CPU architecure.

I'm not sure there was much of a demand for Windows Phone tablets, but then we know there was no demand for Windows RT tablets. It's only a matter of time until MS pulls the plug on this -- it's not a growth platform.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Windows RT0