Beginner, enlighten me. Please!
Exclamation 
Hello everyone, this is my very first post on these forums...and hopefully the first of many. I have been creeping on here a few hours this morning and a few last night but everything I am reading is way over my head. I used the forum search tool and typed in "beginner" but it really didn't narrow it down all that much at all. I was kind of hoping for a basic beginners FAQ sticky forum or something of likeness (perhaps I missed it somehow).

Anyways, I will try to keep this as brief as possible for ease of reading and answering. Basically, I have a very capable computer and for about the last week I have been heavily researching torrents and taking every needed precaution to keep my computer as safe and as far from prying eyes as possible (by downloading extra anti-virus, scanners, peer blockers, ip routers etc) and it is safe to say that I am secure and have really been enjoying what I have downloaded on my uTorrent so far. Ive kept downloads to a minimal mainly because I am currently downloading/running my movies etc from uTorrent off my harddrive. What I ultimately want to do is: download torrents normally, but on an external hard drive, and stream these torrents onto my tv. So...what is the easiest way to do this?

1. Should I buy an external hard drive for my torrents and route all downloads to this? Once I have the torrents on the EHD (external hard drive) how can I stream them on my HDTV most easily?

2. Previously, I used to run an HD cable from my computer tower directly to my TV. This enabled me to watch from my TV, whatever my computer monitor was showing (Im sure this is basic to all of you). Problem is...I now run dual monitors and I only have 2 HD jacks coming out of my graphics card and they are both used (one by each monitor). So, I am no longer able to simply run an HD cable from the PC tower to the TV to enable streaming movies etc from computer to TV...unless there is a way? For instance...is there some sort of 2 to 1 adapter I can buy that plugs into 1 of the 2 graphics cards jacks in the back of my tower that will allow me to plug in both a monitor (for dual monitor usage) as well as a cable to allow computer to tower viewing? It seems the best thing to do would be to run a cable from tower to tv to watch torrents but I dont want to sacrifice dual monitor usage.

3. Once I get the above figured out (Downloading numerous torrents onto an EHD and getting them to play on my tv)....how can I take advantage of XBMC? What exactly are the benefits...its totally free correct? Do I utilize it from the computer or the TV or both? I have an Xbox ... but it is a giant paperweight only used for playing DvDs at the moment. I dont currently have, nor do I want to purchase XBox Live..unless needed.

This is a lot to ask I know...but I figured no better place to turn than to the XBMC forum community itself! I appreciate any help in advanced guys and I hope to hear back soon.
Edit: I have looked over the wiki for windows (I assume XBMC requires some type of active internet connection) and I currently have Windows XP...is it required to get Windows 7 if I really want the full benefits?
Wow, nothing so far? So many views! Anything helps guys... I really want to join the XBMC community, but want to do it right.
(2012-10-29, 16:33)cctaylor88 Wrote: Wow, nothing so far? So many views! Anything helps guys... I really want to join the XBMC community, but want to do it right.

Since you are new here. Don't look at the number of views. It means absolutely nothing.
Don't expect answer within 24 hours because this is an international forum so be patient
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
You'll probably want to start here

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...orum_rules
XBMC FAQ (wiki)
XBMC all platforms FAQ (wiki)
XBMC Quick Start Guide (wiki)

You'll want a dedicated computer/device running XBMC connected to the TV.
XBMC itself does not contain content. It's mostly for video files that you already have, but there are a lot of community add-ons for streaming content.
Yes so... the PC next to my TV could be my "dedicated" computer to run XBMC....problem is my PC isnt connected to my TV as I am running dual-monitors and my gpu only has two slots. How then can I connect my PC to TV to stream HD and everything else
I don't know what you want me to tell you. If you have no more monitor ports on your PC, and can't do something like add another GPU for another port, then... you can't hook it up to the TV.

I'd get a dedicated box for around $100-150 (say one of those Pivos XIOS guys) for the TV and not fuss with the desktop, but that's just me.
There is no way I would buy a dedicated box when my PC is literally right next to my TV, what about an HDMI splitter? Is anyone familiar with this?
A quick google search yields this about xbmc+hdmi+splitters

Second link on my list, I dont think anyone using this posting how to do it, but you can try.

uNi
(2012-10-30, 16:43)cctaylor88 Wrote: There is no way I would buy a dedicated box when my PC is literally right next to my TV, what about an HDMI splitter? Is anyone familiar with this?

A splitter would work. XBMC needs to read the TV resolution before it starts up (if it is different from the monitor) for it to display correctly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beginner, enlighten me. Please!0