Bug Actor search results inconsistent
In the "Movie" view, selecting "Actors" gives a list of actors in the movies I have in my library with no problems, and as long as "Show Movies in Sets" is not selected, everything works as expected (click on actor name and see all the movies they are associated with).

The problem happens when "Show Movies in Sets" is selected. In that case, if the actor is associated with a movie in a movie set, the movie set does not appear in the search results unless the actor is in more than one of the movies in the set. Because the movie set doesn't appear, you can't drill down to the matching movie in those sets.

The best example I can use for this is "Jenette Goldstein" as she has appeared in one movie of 4 different movie sets (Alien Anthology, Terminator, Lethal Weapon, and Star Trek TOS movies) along with other movies that should be popular enough that this can be reproduced easily.

If you go to a movie and select "Cast", then click on a name, you always see the correct results regardless of the setting of "Show Movies in Sets", so this appears to be a database query issue, and not an actual problem with the data.

This also does not appear to be a skin-specific issue, as it happens on 3 widely varied skins.
What is the exact behaviour you see when clicking on Videos->Library->Movies->Actors->Jenette Goldstein in the case where "Group movies in sets" is enabled? Similarly, what is the exact behaviour you see when "Group movies in sets" is disabled?

Perhaps you could list what you get on screen in each case?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Wow, I assumed that some user or developer would have these hugely popular movies in their video library and could click once or twice to see the result, but I guess not.

First, with "Group Movies in Sets" disabled, we start with the baseline:
Searching like this from the cast list (or the director) always returns the correct results regardless of the "Group Movies in Sets" setting.

Selecting the link to run the search, and we get the results as expected:
Next, after navigating to the actor in the "Movies/Actor" menu:
Selecting the link to run the search, and we get the results as expected:
Now, after going to "Video - Settings" and enabling "Group Movies in Sets", we navigate back to the actor in the "Movies/Actor" menu and run the search:

New post because of stupid 6 image per post limit...

This bug also affects directors, as we can see:

Note the "Alien Collection" is missing entirely, because "Aliens" is the only movie in the set that was directed by James Cameron, but the "Terminator Collection" is shown because at least two movies in the collection were directed by him. Here is the correct result with "Group Movies in Sets" disabled:

Last, we can see just how twisted this bug is, when clicking on Leonard Nimoy as a director:
Since Nimoy directed more than one movie in the ST:TOS set, the set is returned as a result, but when drilling down, we get a nasty surprise:

Nimoy only directed Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home, not all those listed.

If you can't see the screenshots (as I cannot, and there is no way to upload them as attachments...is it any wonder why I just gave an example that somebody else could just run) they are sequential from 000 to 010 at:

Code:
http://www.nabs.net/Personal/Jeff/Images/xbmc/ActorBug/screenshotXXX.png
Thanks - it wasn't completely clear to me from your original description as to exactly what was wrong.

You're running Eden. It's most likely already fixed for Frodo (I couldn't reproduce with a very quick play). Feel free to give one of the nightlies a go to check.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

So what you're basically saying is that any bugs in 11.0 won't be fixed, and users will have to wait until the next stable release, which could be months away.

For me, I don't think trading a slight inconvenience for possible complete breakage of the program is a viable solution. For others who have real issues, though, it might be worth it, as if you can't use the current version, not being able to use an unstable version isn't much of a loss.
Correct, no further changes will be made to Eden by the XBMC team.

Ofcourse, it's likely that if it's not fixed as yet in Frodo, that it will remain as so until enough people test it out to make sure. We do the best we can, but we cannot possibly test all possible iterations to make completely sure things are solved.

Those that already can reproduce, know exactly what they're looking for, and can thus quickly check things out are thus highly valued. If you don't have the time or inclination, then that's cool - let's hope someone else picks it up.

Cheers,
Jonathan

(2012-10-31, 18:04)nabsltd Wrote: So what you're basically saying is that any bugs in 11.0 won't be fixed, and users will have to wait until the next stable release, which could be months away.

For me, I don't think trading a slight inconvenience for possible complete breakage of the program is a viable solution. For others who have real issues, though, it might be worth it, as if you can't use the current version, not being able to use an unstable version isn't much of a loss.

For XBMC v10 we did a bug fix update, v10.1, but for v11 things were just too busy. It's an organizational thing, and things weren't really set up well for sorting "fixes compatible with this version" kind of thing. We hope to have this better set up for v12.
Well, I downloaded a nightly, and it does fix my minor inconvenience, and also introduces complete breakage, as I guessed it might.

See here for the details.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Actor search results inconsistent0