Unidentified files / movies repository? Not in library.
NOTE: I am using a monthly build, I am unsure if the detection code has changed?

Hi all,

Is this a bug or should this be a suggestion?
I've managed to find about 4 or 5 movies in my movie path which are not identified by XBMC, the filenames are pretty bad as are the folder names. Definitely understandable.
What's concerning is they simply don't appear at all, the movies are 'lost' for lack of a better word - me never knowing they're missing.

Is there somewhere where a list of files which aren't matched, in a valid library folder is stored? This seems like a bit of an oversight.
If I manually browse to the folders via the 'files' view and find them, when I click 'i' on the keyboard it even says "Querying IMDB info" and obviously finds nothing (hence the initial library scan ignoring them)

I have what could only be described as an extremely large collection, so there could be dozens of movies which I'll never know about due to this. I admit I should be keeping my files in good order and continue to try to by renaming the files, re-scanning, rather than forcing XBMC to the correct info - so it doesn't happen again - but when I don't know they aren't even matched and I have so much, it's difficult.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd really appreciate it.

It might be nice to just have an 'unmatched' section or something somewhere tucked away - so I know what to clean up?

Here's what the string looks like in the log.

11:20:39 T:2736 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: No NFO file found. Using title search for 'smb://USERTongue[email protected]/j$/!Movies/blahblahblah(etcetc).avi' (obviously not the real path)
NOTE: Yes, I could enable debugging, manually go through the entire log and identify the files to solve the problem, however for long term usability for 'dummy users' and a useful feature - adding a record in the XBMC library database for "UNMATCHED FILE, MEDIATYPE:MOVIE" might be really awesome for people to find this later - it doesn't sound particularly difficult to impliment.

There's an add-on that may be able to help with this...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90258

I've not used it as I'm a pretty persnickety file namer.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I have used this add-on, it works. There will be some issues, in which XBMC has wrongly identified the movie, so it will appear in the library but will have to be manually scraped to correct the issue. The trick is to monitor your additions before the quantity gets out of hand, perhaps a temp folder and once scraped properly.. move the folder, and do a local scrape & clean-up.
I will try the addon but I feel like this should be core functionality - simply create a D/B entry for non matched files, flag as "UNMATCHED" and have a view availlable which filters these, showing full path and filename.

Having to mess around manually installing a plugin (and scripts) - not ideal

(2012-11-03, 03:00)PatK Wrote: I have used this add-on, it works. There will be some issues, in which XBMC has wrongly identified the movie, so it will appear in the library but will have to be manually scraped to correct the issue. The trick is to monitor your additions before the quantity gets out of hand, perhaps a temp folder and once scraped properly.. move the folder, and do a local scrape & clean-up.

Seems un-necessary though when you could just dump and file them - have a view show the bad stuff and rename from within XBMC (I admit , I'd alt tab personally ) but a more pleasant interface simply showing a list.

My stuff is stored like this

L:\Movies\2012\01-Jan\
L:\Movies\2012\02-Feb\
L:\Movies\2012\03-Mar\
L:\Movies\2012\04-Apr\

and so on

In file mode you can actually see videos that are not included in the library, depending on skin and view. T! shows files not yet in the library when using the 'media info' view, the file name shows up without metadata. So from my point of view... I don't see an issue that would need a builtin 'missing finder'. Once you've scraped your library... exported as separate files, scraped once and you're done.

You can name your files anyway you like, in folders or not in folders... XBMC will play it all. But if you want to utilize the benefit of the library you need to have your nomenclature set up for the scrapers to communicate information to the online databases in a meaningful manner that will result in filling out the metadata. Once you've scraped and have a library, using smartplaylists you can create sorts according to date, time etc..

XBMC is a movie manager, so give it a chance to make sense of your collection and so on.
(2012-11-03, 04:31)PatK Wrote: In file mode you can actually see videos that are not included in the library, depending on skin and view. T! shows files not yet in the library when using the 'media info' view, the file name shows up without metadata. So from my point of view... I don't see an issue that would need a builtin 'missing finder'. Once you've scraped your library... exported as separate files, scraped once and you're done.

So you want me to manually hunt and peck around my filesystem in file mode to isolate missing files? Rather than an incredibly powerful piece of software simply creating a "null" database entry automatically and compiling a list for me which contains the filepath..... which one is vastly superior here?

(2012-11-03, 04:31)PatK Wrote: You can name your files anyway you like, in folders or not in folders... XBMC will play it all. But if you want to utilize the benefit of the library you need to have your nomenclature set up for the scrapers to communicate information to the online databases in a meaningful manner that will result in filling out the metadata. Once you've scraped and have a library, using smartplaylists you can create sorts according to date, time etc..

XBMC is a movie manager, so give it a chance to make sense of your collection and so on.

The majority of my data is in a format it accepts, the program is very forgiving, it's well coded. I definitely understand why some of these awful files are being ignored, the issue is with the difficulty of isolating the files.
Considering the program itself knows via the "NO NFO" string in the log, it's clear it knows the path of the files and the fact it can't do them.........

On a similar note to this topic, possible bug / issue just found.
EDIT: Bug able to be easily re-created, I've posted elsewhere regarding this. :-> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144315
I've manually cleaned up all my "NO NFO" files by going through the log as I stated I didn't want to do in my earlier posts. (At least my suggestion for the feature might help others?)
Anyhow, I have 0 records of "NO NFO" matches in my log, yet however watching the scan process as it occurs, I can clearly see it get stuck on a particular file and then ignoring it, with no record of the file in the log (of ANY kind)
"[HDTV 720p ITA-ENG-JAP AC3] Name of movie in plain text (no special characters).MKV"
Unsure as to why this is being ignored, perhaps it's the [ ] brackets throwing XBMC out?
It's definitely not in my database as recognised when I search for it and in the file view, it's not working (prompt for "Querying IMDb info" again)

Thoughts?
Bug has been replicated by copying a different movie which matched into a folder and named it similarly.
[ANYTHING IN HERE - TESTING - LOL] Avatar (2009).MKV
It appears the [ and ] in a file name really throws out IMDB - I specifically chose the name of a movie which would match and added the year, no dice.

I have 2 problems here, 1 of which I'll solve
1, This is a seperate but similar issue to this thread - I'll create a bug report / suggestions in the relevant forum
but more importantly
2, This is not in the XBMC log _AT_ALL_ (can provide log on request)
That's not good

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/d425...cbea76a948
That url appears busted, sorry.
I would point out this is the 'general help and support' thread, suggestions should be posted in the 'features suggestion' area to get the attention of the developers as to what users want in the program, then you would be helping.

I have my collected my movies over time, and don't see an issue with crafting my collection and don't seem to run into the issues you're putting forth. If creating a null database would seem vastly superior, then I'm sure the devs would welcome your coding expertise, but I don't like the idea of unnecessary coding slices if it's only used but once in a while. As you've noted, you did get it done... and there is an add-on that can be of assistance (link provided)

Have a look at the program theRenamer, drag & drop multiple files into it, renames and makes a named folder with date. I've never had an XBMC issue once I've floated the file through this program.

Neds Scott's links works for me.
Yeah, pretty much a feature request, but something that's definitely on the radar (or at least on several people's minds). The Team has often talked about ways of handling unmatched content. For v12 (Frodo) we will have entries in the log (even if debugging is turned off), and hopefully we'll have a nice GUI option for v13, if an idea and implementation comes through that seems to work well.

So keep the ideas coming, but know that we are aware that it's something that can be better handled.
This suggestion is more for the people I recommend XBMC to, then myself - people with technical knowledge can fix things up.

Fact is, it's scanning files, finding no match and people have no idea about it, as for a whole new database, I'm merely suggesting the program flag the file and remember it and the path.
Ahh, I didn't see your reply on page 2, thanks Ned.
(2012-11-03, 10:12)Ned Scott Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/d425...cbea76a948

Looks like I'm on a roll bumping my old threads this week.
This is now working in my log but it's still not an elegant solution to the problem.

Is there any thoughts or plans on having XBMC do more for files it can't identify? I still think a "NOMATCH" entry in the library which we can smart filter for to find would be a nicer solution, or dare I even say a nasty pop up box appearing "warning this file couldn't be matched, care to manually re-match it?" and we can run through the refresh style menu to try to re-pull the information?
I would love to see such a feature.
I have a pretty large library. I know for a fact that some movies are not scraped.
I have to manually go through the file listing and search for unidentified movies (those who have no art of any kind), this is nuts. A way to mitigate this would to to be able to filter out unidentified movies the same way we can filter out watched/unwatched or any kind of a simple fix the developers may seem appropriate.
The big problem is users who won't be able to handle it themselves manually such as my my inlaws and my brother in law who have a similar problem and need to wait for me to come and manually look up for unidentified movies.

Movies are being downloaded by couch potato from usenet with standard release names. 99% are being scrapped well, but when you have to look for a needle in a haystack it's a bad user experience imho.

I sound like I am bitching and I apologize for that. XBMC is still the best media center imho and I thank the developers for everything they do!
Yes, this particular request of mine is still not fixed - not that I'm fussing, it's just one of those slick little additions which would make you think "hey, they thought of it all"

I would like significantly better control over not only un-identified movies but better handling of multiple copies of the same movie. I've made suggestions on this but unfortunately not had much luck on getting traction, I'm probably going to write up yet another new post on this in the coming weeks when I've thought of some suggestions.

Program is very very good, just needs some tweaks to break into the land of perfection.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unidentified files / movies repository? Not in library.0