Live TV Buffers and Pixelate
Hello

I made a fresh install with windows 7 home premium 32bit, on a workbench pc for testing purposes, its a low power pc (intel atom 1.6ghz 2gb ram 320hdd) with an analog hauppauge PVR 150.

the installation went great, and media portal is playing really well on this system...the problem relays when i try to use the client, which is an apple tv 2, with the last nightly install of XBMC frodo and Media Portal Add On...

the atv connects ok to the server, shows the channels, epg and everything, however when i try to watch live tv, its constantly buffering and pixelates, i've uploaded a video on youtube showing the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...66kIOycwtM

I dont think that this is something related to the network, because on the same network i play 720p mkvs without buffering...i even test to record a show, and then play it on the atv but outside the add on, on the regular videos part of XBMC and it runs (it buffers but just a little after 4 minutes of playing the video)

the other option, if there is, is to lower the quality of the tuner to make the files smaller (an hour show took almost 2,8gb), is there a way to lower the frame rate?

Thanks
Buffering indicates that XBMC is waiting for new Live TV data. Try pausing the Live TV stream for 30 sec and test if it is able to play now without buffering. If you still see buffering, then it might be that the network connection is problematic (difficult to keep a steady tv stream running) or that the ATV2 is just not powerful enough to play the TV stream.
What happens if you play a recording using the PVR addon? Also buffering or does this work normally?

Note: I don't have an ATV2 so I can only guess...
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Most likely the raw video stream is in mpeg2, which the ATV2 can't handle. ATV2 can only hardware decode h.264, and can only software decode some non-interlaced content (might work with some interlaced, but generally it will be pushing it) that is in SD due to the weak ARM processor. More or less.
Youi could always try to bypass the PVR addon and play one of your recording .ts files directly from a network share using the standard XBMC video player to see if XBMC is able to play your mpeg2 or h264 recordings.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
It seems to be some sort of problem with the pvr protocol...

If i try to play the file directly, it plays fine, however, if i try in add video source, instead of smb share, the pvr source...it happens the same buffering and pixelating issue...and if i pause it, when it resumes, it buffers again almost instantly...

It seems to me that the issue is the way the atv2 handles the pvr protocol...(not sure if its an actual protocol)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV Buffers and Pixelate 0