ffmpeg conversion
Long time pyTivo user which is a Python app which streams video to Tivo. The video is converted to Tivo playable format automatically during streaming using ffmpeg.

Want to switch this setup to XBMC running on a HTPC. Does XMBC convert video files? Does it use ffmpeg? ffmpeg tends to be CPU intensive. Can an HTPC handle this?
XBMC will not/does not convert files, but it does use ffmpeg, depending on your hardware some files can be passed to gpu for decoding/playback.

HTPC is very vague to ask this. Be more specific. (list of components/link to system with details etc).

uNi
(2012-11-03, 16:10)uNiversal Wrote: XBMC will not/does not convert files, but it does use ffmpeg, depending on your hardware some files can be passed to gpu for decoding/playback.

HTPC is very vague to ask this. Be more specific. (list of components/link to system with details etc).

uNi

I am considering the Acer Revo since it seems to be the most popular. Since Acer Revo RL100-UR20P is the latest model of that line I will buy that.

Can I drop any format video file into XMBC and it can play it back?
(2012-11-03, 20:36)riteshraja Wrote: I am considering the Acer Revo since it seems to be the most popular. Since Acer Revo RL100-UR20P is the latest model of that line I will buy that.

Can I drop any format video file into XMBC and it can play it back?

Pretty much everything that doesn't have DRM encryption on it. Download XBMC to your normal computer and test it out on some of your files.
It should be a fine machine, never seen a amd cpu+ion gpu combo. Should be as Ned Scott says, anything except DRM content, though I dont use windows+xbmc on mine (atom ion gen1) just Linux+xbmc

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ffmpeg conversion0