Mediaportal ffmpeg glitches and crashes
Hi there,

I have been using Mediaportal for some time on Windows 7 + XBMC PVR now without any troubles. It's a great way of watching live TV on XBMC!

Yesterday I have installed Openelec 2.0 on my HTPC because Windows 7 + XBMC gave me too much problems when booting etc.

Now I have a problem with Openelec 2.0 and Mediaportal which I can't seem to solve: Some channels have massive glitches and when I leave the channel on, after a few minutes my complete XBMC crashes and I have to reboot it. The strange thing is that some channels do not have this problem. Also the radio channels do not have this problem. And also the channel switching is very, very slow!

When I was on Windows 7 I could choose tsreader, which always worked fine. But now that I'm on Openelec I can only choose ffmpeg, which has almost no settings to play with.

Some more info:
-My HTPC is connected to my home network with 1Gbps
-My Server is connected to my home network with 1Gbps
-My Server is a Windows Home Server 2011 with Mediaportal 1.2.3.0 installed

Can anyone help me? This is getting pretty annoying..

Thanks!
When I switch the video render method to automatic and hardware vdpau off the glitches become less but the channel switching is still very slow.

On my openelec htpc i cannot browse the SMB shares of my home server rightaway, i have to manually type in smb:\\mediaserver\ instead. I read somewhere that the mediaportal pvr client uses SMB to open te timeshifting files. Maybe this is causing problems?
The ffmpeg version of the MediaPortal pvr addon is known for its glitches. I can't do much about it, because it has to do with the ffmpeg rtsp implementation and I have no idea why it behaves so problematic. These glitches were the main reason for me to start with the tsreader version.
ffmpeg version = RTSP streaming using ffmpeg. The addon only provides XBMC with the stream url and XBMC handles the playback completely.
tsreader = direct access to the timeshift buffer fille/recording file either local or using SMB.

OpenElec is based on Eden-pvr (opdenkamp), so it does not include the tsreader version (only in my repository). Your version of the MediaPortal pvr addon only supports RTSP streaming using ffmpeg.
The Frodo version of the addon uses the tsreader by default but this addon is not backward compatible with Eden-pvr.

The only option for OpenElec Eden + MediaPortal tsreader is to compile the addon yourself for OpenElec based on the sources in the Eden-pvr branch of my github repository.
https://github.com/margro/xbmc/tree/Eden...ediaPortal
But beware that this introduces a dependency on libsmbclient and I don't know if it is included in OpenElec.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Thanks a lot margro, that explains it all Smile What is the best way to go then when I have Openelec and a Windows server backend? Any other recommendations? If there aren't any other options, do you know if it might be possible to virtualize a Linux backend on my Windows server and still make use of my TV card?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mediaportal ffmpeg glitches and crashes0