Sharing Configurations, Library Across Systems
Hi All,

I'm finally getting around to sharing my xbmc across multiple machines (Raspberry Pi in living room, laptop in bedroom). What I've tried is to sshfs my .xbmc from my pi into my home folder on laptop. What seems to work:

1. The actual folders that I added on the pi appear on the laptop when I go to Video -> Files

What doesn't:

1. Library doesn't show up (I have to rescan the material and set content of folders for the laptop)

2. Position (if I stop a movie on the pi and then start it on the computer, it doesn't ask if I want to continue from that point).

I thought all of these settings were in .xbmc folder....suggestions greatly appreciated
Don't share the xbmc folder. You'll end up corrupting your database files and messing up the GUI settings. Instead use this: MySQL (wiki) or UPnP/Share (wiki).
Thanks! I have set it up and it looks good but when I try to play a movie on my laptop, it either is lagging terribly (2+ minutes and hasn't started) or it's just not working.

Any suggestions? I'm using UPnP method

Edit: Looks like it's working just really slow to start and laggy as hell. What can I add to the server side and client side to make this better? Sharing through samba works like a charm so I don't know why this lags
Well, when UPnP is used it can sometimes cause network congestion if the host XBMC computer is accessing the videos over the network and not locally. The file itself goes through the host twice, and also goes through the router twice. If either one of those has something like a 100meg ethernet connection, or worse, wireless, then it can really take a hit there. Depending on the size of the movie, of course. Normally when you access a file it's just going through once.

However, 2+ minutes might indicate something else is wrong.

Is the host XBMC UPnP server running a pre-Frodo (one of the v12 alpha) version? That might also help, as a ton of improvements have been made to the UPnP code in v12.
Seems like I've fixed that issue, thanks for the suggestions Smile

Now what I'm seeing is it doesn't actually share position, play count, etc...So if I start a movie in living room I can't just boot it up in the bedroom and start from same point. Would the Sql method do this?
yes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing Configurations, Library Across Systems0