• 7(current)
Solved Update FFMPEG To Support ATSC Closed Captions
Here is a recorded sample with 4 DVB teletext subtitles. Assuming this is of interest and something you are looking at.

How is it with ATSC CC, can they also include multiple subtitle tracks and how do you select correct subtitle track? Based on subtitle selection per video or general kodi language preference.

Sample: http://tinyurl.com/npjf6a4/sample.ts

mediainfo from sample:
Code:
Text #1
ID                                       : 7941 (0x1F05)-691
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : Teletext Subtitle
Language                                 : Swedish

Text #2
ID                                       : 7941 (0x1F05)-692
Language                                 : Norwegian

Text #3
ID                                       : 7941 (0x1F05)-693
Language                                 : Danish

Text #4
ID                                       : 7941 (0x1F05)-694
Language                                 : Finnish

Teletext subtitles can be viewed in kodi today but user have to select correct teletext page nr. but the teletext font is not very nice and there is problem with delays.
(2014-12-30, 09:27)FernetMenta Wrote: Yes, please provide those samples.
I have added three more files to https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...sp=sharing

All have both CEA-708 and CEA-608 streams, either one of each or two of each. The enhancement seems to have trouble with this.
  • 1021_20150103051932 - MacOS: captions can not be enabled; OpenELEC on RPi: The captions can be enabled but the Spanish and English stream are both displayed, writing over each other.
  • 1492_20141225023500 - captions can not be enabled on either MacOS of OpenELEC.
  • 1291_20141109070000 - MacOS: captions can not be enabled; OpenELEC on RPi: The captions can be enabled and display.

Thanks again.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6105

- 1021_* fixed -> allows selection of both languages
- 1492_ can be selected

OSX seems to be a general problem Unfortunately I have no Mac yet so I can't test/fix on this platform. What are the specs of your Mac?
Mhhh i can enable it in system->video->subtitles without issues on osx here - also i can see that cc subs are displayed in the audio osd. I have only one odd thing which might even be a generic issue and not connected to cc subs. As soon as i switch subs (from cc1 to cc2 for example) there are no subs shown anymore. I need to stop and start playback (pause is not enought) for getting the subs rendered again).

Beside that i see no issue for osx tbh...

edit: i added 2 external subtitles to one of the test files. I see the CC sub when it is the active subtitle on movie start. I can then switch to the externals - but as soon as i hit the cc one again it will not be shown. I can switch to the externals and between the externals how i like - but the CC sub only shows when it is active from the start of the movie.

edit2: there seems also a bad interfering with external subs. I have 2 externals and 1 cc sub.
1. I play the movie and watch the german external sub.
2. Now i switch to CC (nothing shown)
3. Stop playback
4. Start playback
5. now i see the CC sub and the German external sub at the same time.

edit3: On some tests i even got it that way:
1. play a movie with 1 cc - CC is shown ...
2. download a subtitle with subtitle addon (just some random tbbt episode)
3. Now i see the external sub from tbbt
4. Stop playback
5. Start playback
6. Now i only have the external sub as selection. The CC sub can't be select / is not member of the subtitle list anymore.
7. removing the external srt file and restarting the movie - and the CC sub is back....
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-01-04, 00:07)FernetMenta Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6105

- 1021_* fixed -> allows selection of both languages
- 1492_ can be selected

OSX seems to be a general problem Unfortunately I have no Mac yet so I can't test/fix on this platform. What are the specs of your Mac?
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB, running Yomenite (10.10.1). I usually don't use the mac for Kodi, but it was faster to test multiple channels and recordings on the mac than on the Pi. I will test the new PR on the mac when it makes it into the nightly, and let you know whether it fixed the mac issue.

Also, I wonder if the Pi is the odd man out in this case, rather than the mac. OpenELEC on the Pi a range of differences from the mainstream version of Kodi, and I am also using the bleeding edge build with the Popcornmix "newclock4" PRs.

Thanks again.
(2015-01-04, 00:54)Memphiz Wrote: As soon as i switch subs (from cc1 to cc2 for example) there are no subs shown anymore. I need to stop and start playback (pause is not enought) for getting the subs rendered again).

This should be fixed with the new pr
Nope - see my edits - i have your pr Applied - i can now switch between Both languages but need to restart the Movie for having them visible
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2015-01-04, 01:20)Memphiz Wrote: Nope - see my edits - i have your pr Applied - i can now switch between Both languages but need to restart the Movie for having them visible

Did you wait long enough? It may take up to 8 sec until the new language appears. Do you remember my pr on seeking when switching subs?
Never heard of that pr - i might not have waited 8 secs - but switching to external worked instant - but i guess this is normal because we have a big bunch of the external stream already parsed ... Not the same like with the cc data i guess
(2015-01-04, 12:26)Memphiz Wrote: Never heard of that pr - i might not have waited 8 secs - but switching to external worked instant - but i guess this is normal because we have a big bunch of the external stream already parsed ... Not the same like with the cc data i guess

External subs are different because it can load packets with timestamp earlier than playing pts. When loading from demuxer and you switch subs, the fist subtitle you get from demuxer is approx 8 secs in the future. When we change audio language, we seek back to pts on screen. I wanted to the same with subs but there was protest. For reference: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5312
Regarding the language issue, could it be configured to favour a language? i.e., if you set Spanish as your preferred language, it will initially display the Spanish captions instead of English. That would alleviate this issue.

Also, generally speaking, if you turn captions on once, should they not just stay on until they are expressly tuned off? It appears that, currently, they are toggled off every time you return to the interface.
(2015-01-04, 14:26)allan87 Wrote: Regarding the language issue, could it be configured to favour a language? i.e., if you set Spanish as your preferred language, it will initially display the Spanish captions instead of English. That would alleviate this issue.

Also, generally speaking, if you turn captions on once, should they not just stay on until they are expressly tuned off? It appears that, currently, they are toggled off every time you return to the interface.

Setting the language is not really feasible because this is coded in PSI which we don't get. Closed Captions even have their own abbreviation (cc) in language codes and are often just referred to as CC1, CC2, ...

They stay on my system once I have turned them on.
One example. If I am flipping channels, cc stays on as long as reception is good. If I hit a weak channel, and the addon can't tune it in, it exits to the channel list. When I select a new channel and video resumes, cc is off.

Maybe this is an addon issue?
this is a pvr issue. I think I have seen some pr for this already.
HI first thanks for adding this new feature, I don't use it myself but I though it is something the NextPVR have asked for so I thought I'd give it a test some ATSC live tv and offer some comments. Anything needed for helping let me know

- 608 subtitles don't work.
- 708 subtitles always show at the bottom of the screen
- scrolling subtitles seem ok, it's jerky compared to what I am used to (I think it feeds one character at a time)
- multiline (but not scrolling) subtitles only display the last line
- subtitles just give 1/1 when there are more than one (usually these are 608 though)

It might be ascii only ie.
- italics don't show display
- musical notes don't display.
- french characters are stripped

Martin
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update FFMPEG To Support ATSC Closed Captions2