Linux A little help with my build
Hello,

I have XBMCbuntu installed on an USB stick.
I'm ordering my first build for attaching XBMCbuntu on my TV through HDMI..
Can anyone confirm that this setup will work please?

Case
SilverStone Milo ML03B

Fan
Scythe Shuriken Rev. B

Motherboard
MSI 760GM-E51 (FX) - ATI Radeon HD3000 onboard

Processor

AMD Athlon II X4 640

Power supply
Antec EA-380 GREEN

Memory
Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1600

Thank you!
It will work but you can have better. Stay away from amd graphics when using Linux, their drivers are horrible, and that GPU needs to use the legacy driver so no new features. Nvidia is best followed by Intel (Intel seems to be catching up though).

CPU seems over powered and xbmc doesn't support multi core cpu decoding (not yet anyway). My dual core amd x265 can play 1080p on CPU with no problems, although I've never tested with deinterlacing or 3d. Personally I'd look at something similar (probably Intel though) to keep heat/noise levels down.

Have you looked at getting a ssd? USB drives are very slow and if you do choose to use a USB drive take a look at OpenELEC - its a lot lighter than xbmcbuntu and is designed to be run off a USB drive.
(2013-02-11, 06:35)teeedubb Wrote: It will work but you can have better. Stay away from amd graphics when using Linux, their drivers are horrible, and that GPU needs to use the legacy driver so no new features. Nvidia is best followed by Intel (Intel seems to be catching up though).

CPU seems over powered and xbmc doesn't support multi core cpu decoding (not yet anyway). My dual core amd x265 can play 1080p on CPU with no problems, although I've never tested with deinterlacing or 3d. Personally I'd look at something similar (probably Intel though) to keep heat/noise levels down.

Have you looked at getting a ssd? USB drives are very slow and if you do choose to use a USB drive take a look at OpenELEC - its a lot lighter than xbmcbuntu and is designed to be run off a USB drive.

I bought this with an extra SSD:

Samsung MZ-7TD120BW

Hope all will work... Keep u posted!
Whats this build for?

is this a server or just for watching media on the TV?

if its just for your tv i would say a quad core is massively overkill.

Intel has the best graphics support on linux hands down and if your not playing games integrated graphics are fine.

something like this:intelARK
(2013-02-21, 12:16)TBallS Wrote: Whats this build for?

is this a server or just for watching media on the TV?

if its just for your tv i would say a quad core is massively overkill.

Intel has the best graphics support on linux hands down and if your not playing games integrated graphics are fine.

something like this:intelARK

+1. And a couple of generations old one at that with even older GPU built into the motherboard. Unless it was free, really not worth it with Llano/Trinity or SandyBridge/IvyBridge available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A little help with my build0