Sharing Remotely
I have XBMC set up at my house and everything works great. I want to access files from my office as that's where all my movies are. I have them all on external hard drives and want to add them to my XBMC at home. I dont want to keep transporting them back and forth so is there an easy way to stream them from my office? I have an extra computer laying around there that I have played around with. I have Openmediavault installed and SMB working there but cant figure out a way to be able to access it at home? Or is that even the best option to access it from there?

I would like something fairly easy with a GUI as my command line skills are limited.

Any Ideas? I can start over on the server or home computer with a different OS or Server OS.
I know there are some NAS boxes like Synology that have web access and a web page to access everything from other locations. I think windows home server even allows the same. Of course after setting up your network to allow this ..

By the looks Synology requires me to purchase new equipment and hard drives. I already have hard drives and would like to keep the cost down. I know Windows server does allow it as well just was looking for a free version or something similar.
The big question is ... do you control the office network? Basically you'll create a VPN into the office network from home then have access to the SMB shares or create a web server within OpenMediaVault and stream over htttp.
Yes I control the office network. I just want to make sure its secure with user names and passwords.

I will have to look into VPN as well as creating a web server.
Plexmedia server + plexbmc addon?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
bry- have you tried Plexmedia server? How is it? How secure is it?

Also with VPN is there any way to set up a VPN server that can handle all OS's? The client VPN's would be a mac and windows. But also Linux at some point. I know its asking alot and thanks for all the reply's.
Yes. Check the site for more info
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2012-11-10, 03:57)mcjknell Wrote: Also with VPN is there any way to set up a VPN server that can handle all OS's? The client VPN's would be a mac and windows. But also Linux at some point. I know its asking alot and thanks for all the reply's.

Yes, if you use OpenVPN e.g. there are clients for Windows, OS X and Linux. Setting it up may be a problem though, since it isn't a matter of a simple program installation, I am afraid. I don't know what kind of firewalls you use, but firewall solutions like IPFire make it very easy to bridge 2 networks with a net to net VPN.
Im pretty sure we are using just basic firewall that came with the system and router. I might try OpenVPN if I can figure it out.

I did look up Plex and that looks like a great option but from the looks of some youtube videos it doesnt look like it adds the videos into XBMC more like its just a plugin that runs like Plex? I like the layout of XBMC better than Plex. Am I wrong on this? Can you add the drive as if it was a local hard drive? Let me know.

Any other options? What about just using Windows Home Server does it have the ability to be accessed Remotely easily?Or what about a free version that I can use? What about FTP? is that safe? sorry just really want to get my system set up.

Thanks again for all your replies...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing Remotely0