Zotac ZBOX-AD04: Windows 7, Openelec, or XBMCBuntu?
Thinking about asking Santa for a Zotac ZBOX-AD04 to replace my old AppleTV 1. Trying to decide if I want to run XBMC via Windows 7, Openelec, or XBMCBuntu. I'd like to hear others' opinions on which option would be:

- Require the least tweaking to get working
- Most stable
- Have the best performance
- The most set it and forget it solution
- Most likely to work best with future XBMC updates
- The easiest to update when new versions of XBMC are released
- Work well with a Harmony remote

In short, which would provide the most trouble-free operation?

Thanks!

OpenELEC

Install and forget Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Does your Apple TV 1 have a Broadcom Crystal HD (wiki) card and a linux install? Those mods give new life to the unit. I use one like that as my main HTPC.
(2012-11-12, 03:52)Ned Scott Wrote: Does your Apple TV 1 have a Broadcom Crystal HD (wiki) card and a linux install? Those mods give new life to the unit. I use one like that as my main HTPC.

It does, but the ATV is having other issues and needs to be replaced.
(2012-11-11, 16:58)Martijn Wrote: OpenELEC

Install and forget Smile

Is the install that simple? Reading the OpenELEC wiki and forums, it appears that the install can be a bit more complicated than "one-click, done."
If you are having trouble i think the guys at #openelec on freenode will gladly help. And yes, it IS quite easy, but depending on your hardware, some things might not work OOTB (They did for me though). Mostly sound over HDMI, but that is an "easy" fix. OE is just really nice because it is just the bare minimum.
I would go with Openelec and order a Flirc

Is there anything that OpenELEC cant do that XBMC installed on Window can?

For instance, can it run all the plugins / skins etc or are any of these platform specific?
The only issue I had installing OpenELEC on my Nvidia ION-based jetway HTPC is setting the audio to work properly. Fortunately, the OpenELEC forums are a good resource, but were not quite "100% accurate" for my situation. I'm not a Linux expert, but after clicking around for 20 minutes, I was able to get the sound working. Since then, it is working pretty flawlessly. Now, I just need OpenELEC to get updated with Frodo and I'll be all set!

One thing I live about this setup over my Windows 7 install is the super-fast boot up time. While I rarely rebooted my Windows 7 box, every now and then, XBMC would quit responding (because of Windows, I'm certain) and I would need to reboot. This would inevitably happen when we would have friends over to watch a movie. With OpenELEC, I haven't had as many issues with the system becoming unresponsive. One thing I don't like, though, about OpenELEC is the lag between an "official" XBMC release and the corresponding OpenELEC release. Maybe that will improve with Frodo, I don't know. I do anticipate that I will go back to Windows 7 so I can take advantage of the AudioEngine until it is available on OpenELEC.

Good luck in your decision!
I love it on Windows 7.
I use both XBMC, but also Firefox as browser for all sorts of other stuff.
I have one running with 4GB of RAM and a 60GB OCZ SSD. It runs beautifully on Win 7 64 bit - for me, the main advantage being that I can put my own builds on it very easily.
I did replace the 'original' remote sensor with a Windows MCE (RC6) compatible one (OVU4110), because many "keys" were missing.
Then I use EventGhost so that I can automate start up etc. but also remap some of the remote keys more intelligently (e.g. MCE "subtitle" key -> emulate "l"). I'm using a Harmony One remote.

Furthermore, with Windows, you can run whatever other media software like PowerDVD for commercial (protected) Blurays (with an external USB Bluray player o.c.) for a more complete media experience.

I recently got a Zotac AD10 (adding 4gb & 80gb SSD) and went the Openelec route having had no prior experience in XBMC and/or linux. Here have been my experiences so far...

The Zotac boxes seems to be pretty well made, but you will have to look around on the internet if you want help after purchase. The same as almost any hardware (with exception of ATV & Raspberry Pi), you probably won't find solutions to any Openelec questions that are tailored EXACTLY for your device, but you will get something similar that you can generally use. I've also used the forums on here as a resource to help with setting things up.

- Openelec is indeed easy to set up. Now that V2.0 is out, it is very simple to install, just make sure to click the right executable (.bat file), rather than the .exe file in the install package and then follow the instructions on the openelc wiki. The one difficulty I have found is that almost all guides on the internet will relate to the Windows version of xbmc (i am assuming in part because it's easier to capture the actions on the screen using windows software).

- One aspect that I have found very frustrating so far is that since i'm using an external HDD (though I put in my order of some more HDDs today to set up a UnRAID server!), if I disconnect the HDD to add more media, when i've reconnected, it has not recognized the library, and I have to try and re-mount the HDD etc. I am actually pretty poor at doing this stuff so far, I got it working once, and then recently, I disconnected/reconnected the HDD once and since, haven't managed to get the library set up again properly (it just shows files & Add-ons under Videos). So... with that said, my advice would be if you're not connecting to a server primarily, use a USB stick to transfer files over once you have your main library set up. ...Even locating the HDD through the root file system structure of Openelec was a bit difficult initially, I can imagine how this could be much easier in Windows, as the drives are in a more familiar format.

- Make sure to have a spare keyboard & mouse at the ready. I've never used the mouse with it (out of stubbornness), but it certainly helps when getting things setup initially. My remote (Harmony 700) actually recognizes the Zotac box as a device in its library, so that was incredibly easy to get setup to work with the system. My AD10 came with a remote, but the harmony is much nicer and works better.

Only had this for about a month, but still have a few things to work through.

The three areas I have not yet fathomed (and I'm planning to fix this weekend) are:
- Wireless Connectivity to my network
- Bluetooth Keyboard. Allegedly, Bluetooth works with the AD10, but looking online, it seems rather complex to get BT pairing set up, and requires some unusual add-ons and tweaking. The keyboard I have is a HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard
- Re-establishing library + HDD sync.

As for the hardware, I have no complaints whatsoever, it's whisper quiet & boots fast.

Best of luck with your purchase!
I have slightly different hardware, but had no difficulty setting up OpenELEC on a ZBOX ID41U. I fiddled with the sound and video settings to tweak them to my liking, but they did work out of the box. Install took about 5 minutes and it boots crazy fast (I do have a SSD in there).

Actually, I've had less issues with the OpenELEC builds than the XBMCbuntu build on my main machine. While the emulator support from XBMCbuntu is nice, I've thought of switching to a dual-boot of OpenELEC alongside some other lightweight Linux distro for a desktop environment.

Just a note: OpenELEC seemed to handle FTP sources better than SMB. My XBMCbuntu machine is the other way around. I never dug into why.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
I know Win8 is not on your list but, I have a Zotac AD04 running Win8/Frodo/Harmony and I am very pleased with it. Problem free install, boots fast , sleeps/wakes fast, and I don't need the XBMCFlicks plugin for Netflix because the Netflix Win8 app works fine for the most part.
Santa brought me my ZBox, and, thanks to everyone to who responded, getting it set up was a breeze.

- I hooked it up to a spare monitor and keyboard to install and configure it before I hooked it up to my TV.

- I followed the instructions on the OpenELEC Wiki (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...g_OpenELEC). Creating the install stick and installing on the ZBox was a snap.

- I got the expected "audio device could not be configured" when I first played a video, but I followed the instructions here (http://youresuchageek.blogspot.com/2012/...-xbmc.html) to configure XBMC to output audio via HDMI.

- Configured my Harmony 550 remote to control the ZBox. My ZBox model (AD04-PLUS-U) was not in the Harmony database, so I used ZBox Nano AD10 for the device model. That got me 95% there.

- There was no default keymap on the Harmony ZBox Nano AD10 profile for showing the OSD in XBMC, so I created a keymap.xml file (following instructions here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_harmony) to add that and a couple of other functions. I've enclosed it below.

- I copied my userdata folder from my old Apple TV to the ZBox. Worked flawlessly.

Honestly, I'm surprised at how easy and trouble free it was to set up. Thanks again to everyone who responded and offered suggestions.

Code:
<keymap>

<home>
     <remote>
       <one>XBMC.UpdateLibrary(video)</one>
       <two>XBMC.CleanLibrary(video)</two>
      </remote>
</home>

<FullscreenVideo>
    <remote>
      <one>ShowSubtitles</one>
       <two>OSD</two>
    </remote>
</FullscreenVideo>

</keymap>
I am running an Zotac Zbox ID82 on a 120GB Vertex 3 SSD and 8GB Corsair memory (not on the compatible list) with Windows 7 64bit installed. When i first bought this Zotac i readed alot about the drivers. I wanted to run Ubuntu, but there are some issues with the Intel graphic drivers and not all emulators which i own before, are running on Ubuntu.

I am running my Zbox now for like 3 weeks 24/7 and it have never crashed yet in Windows 7. Its running XBMC verry smoothly (ID82 one of the heaviest zboxes) and running 3D B-rays perfectly.

Be sure to upgrade your bios, because alot Zbox have problems with the Hibernating (ACPI) function. Updating the bios fixed the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ZBOX-AD04: Windows 7, Openelec, or XBMCBuntu?0