• 2(current)
Auto-Update XBMC function - Automaticly download application/DLL/scraper updates?
true the developers do not distribute binaries of xbmc but its is still possible to get them, right?

eg via bit torrent or ftp etc etc

i am not asking for the team to distribute but why not allow for semi auto update?

eg a current recommended build, the user could define where to get it from(ftp, torrent)

***ability to (auto) update xbmc from web site for latest "recommended" (by http://www.xboxmediacenter.de) cvs build (eg via ftp/torrent+using python script?)
that was the point of me suggesting it the way that i did.. an update manager, yes, that has been suggested. my difference, was that the user is responsible for specifying the url. all i was really asking for, was for the mechanism to be put in place, even if for a later date when an open xdk is created.. for now.. some people who choose to take the law into their own hands, could compile it, and share with their friends... there are "usually" places where people put a compiled version, and having your xbox download it, is not necessarily different from using flash fxp to do it. i guess my suggestion was just to make the experience easier and more enjoyable. i don't "require" an update manager, i just thought that a feature request forum would serve two purposes. first is so the users get to point out what they would like to see, and second, the developers get the benefit of added creativity... not that this particular suggestion is all that creative.. but i just thought that having the user specify where the files come from, might be enough to get us around this little obstical. if its been suggested before, apparantly people want it..

thanks for your time...
just qustion are the codec's also have to go tru the compiler ore would it work for them to update them whit a auto update
avalaunch does this and it's sweet no more searching online no more constant reconfiguring.this would be the ultimate feature.
seconded. the avalaunch "auto update" feature is nice, and if xbmc had it, all the better. Smile
long story short...don't get your hopes up probably never happen but then again never say never.
i too would very much like to see this feature implemented into a future build :kickass:
Exclamation 
i suppose it would be legal to create an auto-update / live-update feature for mplayer.dll and other non-xdk-binary compilations.
(but the main xbmc program/application is a xdk compiled xbe and i'm not sure how/if we could workaround that legal issue Huh )
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
why not just create a python script that checks the version tag of the current running xbmc. if there is another version (sniped from a rss/xml info source) out there it tells you...

the script doesn’t need to be part of the official xbmc release...

someone could maintain a site with diffs as suggested or complete bins.. since there a people already doing that *wink, wink*.. and then sharing it with xbmc via some of the protocols supported.... a server with a firewalled anonymous samba could work..

another idea is to send commands via raw telnet to an irc server, get 'x clearance' and connect via simple ftp. but then someone needs to get raw telnet and ftp working.. or a program/script following some of the ftp/telnet rfc's that suits our purposes...

i know you guys at xbmc cant really approve of this, but what do all you other people think?  :joker:

there could even be a completely separate program doing all of this, compiled like the rest of the 'stuff out there' and put out for public download...
since you guys are always updating the xbmc can u just do function where by users can download straight to the xbox? since we got rss feeds and so forth is it not possible to use this same method to make some download to xbox feature?
the ability to download scripts from dwl would be nice to Wink
i don't know about all of this auto-update with bins stuff, but for those of you who can compile source, i am thinking about making myself a nice little auto-update from source and compile and deploy thing, that gets me the latest cvs every night and uploads it directly after building. if anyone else is interested in this let me know.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
@gglaze this discussion is probably offtopic,
but i recently made an ftp upload script, which transfers all but the xboxmediacenter.xml file. i'm currently looking into using minitrue & regex to update the .xml before uploading it also
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Blush sorry... dumb question removed.
Information 
i have seen numerous threads on various related sites about a demand for automatic updates. i'm new to this forum and i'm sure that this has already been brought up multiple times but updating my build every day is getting crazy i don't know what goes where and i keep on loosing things.

don't get me wrong i love xbmc we use it for parties all the time! people love it! i even use it as my dashboard.

so anyways i would defininity donate to support the cause if automatic updating could be a possiblity for the future. other than that keep up the good work!
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto-Update XBMC function - Automaticly download application/DLL/scraper updates?0