• 7(current)
Auto-Update XBMC function - Automaticly download application/DLL/scraper updates?
I would be nice if you had the option to automatically pull the latest version of a scraper before you start a scan. So often I will run an automated scan and later find that a bunch of my titles are incomplete with missing thumbnails or cast and summary data because a used an out of date scraper.

It would be nice if when you are about to run a scan the scraper would be checked against one online somewhere and warn you

"Your scraper for IMDB is out of date, Would you like to update"

and then give the option of downloading a new one.

Could this be down with a python script?

Thanks
Shawn
yes it could be done with a Python script. No I do not think this is a very important / neccessary update. Your issue is that the auto-update isn't really 100% awesome yet.
Catchy Signature Here
Lightbulb 
Would it not be great to have XBMC on the home screen inform us when a new version has been released, and asking us if we would like to install it right now. Maybe even let the user have a look at the release notes so they can see if they want to bother with this release or simply stick what they have now and upgrade at a later point in time.

For a start maybe simply make XBMC check an little API on the website to see what the latest version is so a user can be informed that a new version is available.
As a next step adding the option to download the new version. As a follow up step an installer could be created that installs the software for the user as well.

I know there will always be people who react with a No or even a Angry to this kind of functionality so there should of course be an option to disable this behaviour and stop XBMC from contacting the outside world without explicit permision from the user.
Which OS?

We have this feature on Aptitude based linux distros and XBMC Live http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2009/03/03/upgrad...xbmc-live/

And there is an application for this for win32.

You are also possible to add new applications through XBMC via the Addon Installer / SVN Repo installer. It doesn't download and install firefox and such but plugins and skins for XBMC

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I created a bash script for ubuntu that will auto update xbmc and plugins daily based on SVN ... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49502
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto-Update XBMC function - Automaticly download application/DLL/scraper updates?0