XBMC Fails to Start in Windows XP Mode: "CApplication::CreateGUI() failed"
Hello Guys,

I have Win7 Pro and I've installed Virtual Machine (Windows XP Mode). I've installed XBMC (Frodo12 beta 1), but as soon as I try to start it, I get the following error: "CApplication::CreateGUI() failed - check log for display errors". Any idea what could be causing this problem? I've found several posts about a generic "CApplication::Create" error, BUT none of the suggestions/workarounds seemed to work!

Here is the log file: http://pastebin.com/3q3Hc2j3

Thank You In Advance!
Make sure you enable HW accelerated drivers. I don't know if Virtual Machine will support this or not.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-11-18, 06:13)jmarshall Wrote: Make sure you enable HW accelerated drivers. I don't know if Virtual Machine will support this or not.

Thanks, but how and where and why is it relevant? I have xbmc running on my laptop w/o HW acc!!!

No you don't. XBMC does not run without hardware accelerated graphics.

Note that hardware accelerated graphics != hardware accelerated video decoding.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, and how do I verify that my VM has such thing? Windows 7 has what appears to be some sort of dedicated display adapter called Virtual PC Integration Components S3 Trio32/64 (Driver v 14.1.7600.16403) ...THX

Edit: I have found this in wikipedia: "For 64-bit editions of Windows 7, XP Mode may be used to run 16-bit applications; it includes NTVDM although it might be impossible to run 16-bit applications that require hardware acceleration, as Windows Virtual PC does not have hardware acceleration."
Hey Everyone,

It really does pay off to "SEARCH" for your issue before posting a new thread!

It took me awhile but I found the exact issue and error message I was getting right here on this thread. Smile

I was having this exact same issue on my Acer Aspire 5610 except I wasn't running in a virtual machine.

After reading the previous posts I did the following and BINGO now it works! Cool

Right click on the desktop, go to Properties, then the Settings tab and click the Advanced button. Head to the Troubleshooting tab, and turn the hardware acceleration slider up to full.

Hope this helps someone else!

Have A Great Day

Samantha
Thanks for sharing!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Fails to Start in Windows XP Mode: "CApplication::CreateGUI() failed"0