Support for HD audio in Eden?
I've been enjoying a lot of music from www.hdtracks.com lately on my headphone rig, typically encoded at 24 bits and 96kHz versus CD's 16 bits and 48kHz, properly recorded and mastered you can get some truly stunning results.

I was thinking about using Eden as a front end to my stereo, does it support playing back these tracks without downsampling or otherwise altering the audio in any way?
Use Frodo
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks. I gave Frodo a try but I got the same result, namely no audio output and a pegged CPU. Should I post a few tracks to demonstrate what I'm talking about?
If possible one is enough so we can try
try this File Link to free Sample
it won´t play without stuttering (it take more than a minute) with frodo.(neither via HDMI nor SDPDIF)

Speakers are set to 5.1, no 5.1 Stereo output, no downmix, no Volume adjust.

See debug log here: link
Works fine with non pass through audio device. No audio through spdif here

Create a ticket on trac.xbmc.org and explain problem include the Debug Log (without all the pvr errors preferred), file link and this thread.
Add DDDamian as CC
thanks for your response.
i will check again without a pass trough device an try to create a debug log with pvr disabled (but it willt ake some time)
Hi,

24/192 Audio File works fine with pvr Frontaned disabled (i had the Volume set to very low, so i can´t hear eventually ocouring popps or cracks, but there where no gaps during playback).
i think the peaks in CPU load during the PVR Database upgrade on startup (Channels, EPG) will lead to the gaps in playback.
i´l do some more tests to verify that.

But the HDCD Problem remains (e.g. Brothers In Arms (20th Anniversary Edition - SACD)/01. So Far Away.flac)

i can´t playback HDCD coded Files (ripped to Flac) via HDMI or SPDif to my Receiver (wich has a builtin HDCD Decoder), the Receiver switches permanently between HDCD and 2Ch Stereo with a 1 second gap during switching.
if i understand the debug log right, AE transcodes the 16Bit/44.1khz Stream to Fload to handle the Volume Control wich happen in this line:
PHP Code:
CSoftAEStream Converting from AE_FMT_S16NE to AE_FMT_FLOAT 

i guess that the transcoding sometimes kills the HDCD Flag.

Here´s a full debug log:link

Should i create a ticket on trac.xbmc.org for that issue?

Cheers

rat666
HTPC (AMD X4 620, Geforce GT 520, Tevii 470, Antec Fusion Case with Imon LCD) with Openelec Gotham Nightlies
Raspberry Pi with Openelec Nightlies for Testing

i´ve done some more tests with the actual nightly
Flac 24/192 won´t play without some little gaps.
HDCD coded Flac won´t play on a HDCD capable receiver.

Here´s a debug log: debug log

i´ll create a ticket tomorrow

HTPC (AMD X4 620, Geforce GT 520, Tevii 470, Antec Fusion Case with Imon LCD) with Openelec Gotham Nightlies

After some more tests i am almost shure why the HDCD Flag gets lost.

My Testfile has a ReplayGain Value of 88.5db, but XBMC can only be set to 88 or 89db.
so the Gain has to be raised or lowered by 0.5db. During the round up or round down process the rounding error causes that the lowest bit is wrong and the Flag gets lost.

so for a perfect HDCD Ploaybck the Gain has to be set up in 0.1db Steps. Each File has a different Gain level, so XBMC would need a Funktion like "Play the File with original Gain Level" which reads the Replaygain Level from the Metadata of the File and sets this Gain Level for Playback

Cheers

rat666

There has been a new audio core under development for Gotham that recently got merged, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170338

Try with the newest nightly build to see if there's any difference, if there's still a problem then supply a debug log and sample in that thread and it may get sorted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for HD audio in Eden?0