ZOTAC ZBOX nano AD12 AMD E2-1800
Guys,

Currently looking at something for my lounge to watch 1080p bluray iso rips and 3D bluray iso's (around 40GB) . Currently looking at the ZOTAC ZBOX nano AD12 anyone had experience with this box i've talked to a few guys here and they are thinking it will be to slow or that it won't be able to have a snappy response with the menus etc and be a bit sluggish....

Specs are here http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.....Thinking windows 7 with SSD and 4 GB RAM.

If it's all good responses will end up grabbing 3 to replace boxee boxes (didn't we all get shafted with that one).

I just bought this little box myself. Keep in mind that I'm coming from an AppleTV so I'm used to a more under-powered machine, but I've been very happy with the nano.

I put in 4 GB of ram and a 64 GB SSD, and loaded OpenElec Fusion in less than ten minutes. Boots up in less than 10 seconds and the Aeon Nox skin couldn't be snappier. You can also use a class 10 SD card, but the boot time will suffer a bit.

I recommend reading through http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...-xbmc.html which is a terrific guide for setting up sound and changing the UMA frame buffer to 1 GB in the BIOS. You won't get smooth 1080 video with the default 256 MB.

I've only had one problem and that is that the internal IR receiver doesn't work (yet) in OpenElec. The external USB IR works but is pretty crappy in my option. It seems to have a really narrow range of field.

The only trouble you have is with the ISO's. I don't have anything that large, but I did test it with the killa.sampla video which is a 40 Mbps, 16 reframes video. Works fine.
Hey mate thanks for that would you be able to try and play a 3D bluray iso for me see how it goes?

Would be interesting how it will work with the media library to.....

So the menus etc are smooth? umm am gonna try and work out to get this or the ID82 but this box does look awesomel
I don't have any full bluray rips; the largest one I have is a 20 GB .mkv of Avatar with 3D SBS. That one plays without dropping any frames. Actually, it does drop a few frames while the video is starting (or after jumping forward or back) but it's solid after that.

I'm using Aeon Nox for my skin; and as I understand it, its one of the heaviest skins there is. I know it left my poor Apple TV crying in the corner.

I made this video demonstrating the skin, Avatar, and the killa.sampla movies. Sorry in advance for the quality, it was taking with my phone.

AD12 Running Sample

I'd hate to steer you wrong, though. Others here are far more knowledgeable than me. If they say you'll run into problems with what you want to do, I'd be inclined to listen to them over me.

(2012-11-23, 06:15)400lb Gorilla Wrote: I just bought this little box myself. Keep in mind that I'm coming from an AppleTV so I'm used to a more under-powered machine, but I've been very happy with the nano.

I put in 4 GB of ram and a 64 GB SSD, and loaded OpenElec Fusion in less than ten minutes. Boots up in less than 10 seconds and the Aeon Nox skin couldn't be snappier. You can also use a class 10 SD card, but the boot time will suffer a bit.

I recommend reading through http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...-xbmc.html which is a terrific guide for setting up sound and changing the UMA frame buffer to 1 GB in the BIOS. You won't get smooth 1080 video with the default 256 MB.

I've only had one problem and that is that the internal IR receiver doesn't work (yet) in OpenElec. The external USB IR works but is pretty crappy in my option. It seems to have a really narrow range of field.

The only trouble you have is with the ISO's. I don't have anything that large, but I did test it with the killa.sampla video which is a 40 Mbps, 16 reframes video. Works fine.

You're posts are really helpful - thanks for that.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the AD12. You still happy with it? Anything else to report?
(2012-11-23, 07:47)teros Wrote: Hey mate thanks for that would you be able to try and play a 3D bluray iso for me see how it goes?

Would be interesting how it will work with the media library to.....

So the menus etc are smooth? umm am gonna try and work out to get this or the ID82 but this box does look awesomel

Teros - did you opt for the AD12 or the ID82? Any feedback? Thanks...
I'm also thinking of buying two zbox nano A12 for me and my brother...
I'm just not 100 % sure yet since all Zboxes I used before where always ION machines so the nano would be my first AMD machine.
I guess I'll order just one and then see how it's holding up :-)
I picked up an AD12 about 2 weeks ago and put XBMCbuntu on it. So far I have no complains. With an SSD (500+ read/write), it spends more time at the GRUB prompt than it does booting. Menus and playback are as good as on my laptop.
I just got my Zotac AD12 today, I'm waiting now for the memory and SSD.
I went for the 8gb memory since I read that it supports it, but know I'm confused, since the box it self says up to 8gb but the manual inside says up to 4gb.

Any one tried 8gb on it?

I'm wondering if this box would support windows 8, anyone tried?

Still not sure about what OS to install, any suggestion would be much appreciated.

@c4xuxo Go with OpenElec (Fusion Build) - http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

@400lb Gorilla - Thanks for all of the info so far, awesome work. What's the fan noise like? Some forums have said the fan is very noisy, other reviews have said they can't hear it at all. Would love some unbiased input Smile
(2012-12-30, 01:14)c4xuxo Wrote: I just got my Zotac AD12 today, I'm waiting now for the memory and SSD.
I went for the 8gb memory since I read that it supports it, but know I'm confused, since the box it self says up to 8gb but the manual inside says up to 4gb.

Any one tried 8gb on it?

I'm wondering if this box would support windows 8, anyone tried?

Still not sure about what OS to install, any suggestion would be much appreciated.

I have 12 GB in my AD12 and windows 7 can see all of them. I'm running the 30 day trial with home premium so far.
(2012-12-30, 03:21)harvey21 Wrote: I have 12 GB in my AD12 and windows 7 can see all of them. I'm running the 30 day trial with home premium so far.

There is only one slot for memory, do you have 12gb memory?
Sorry, I meant 8 GB... 1 stick
I bought 2 AD12 and they work great with the latest beat of Openelec. The only thing that I noticed was that the wifi isn't to fast with the current Openelec Beta but it still works to stream most of my HD contend over Wifi...

The remote also works very good right out of the box. The only problem is that HD-Audio of the new Audio engine does not work yet on the AMD platform.
Was just thinking of picking one of these up but I want it for full BD playback and HD audio. The bitstreaming isn't working with the latest XBMC Frodo release? Is this an issue on the XBMC side or the hardware/driver side of this zotac?

Has anyone streamed full BDMV with it using Windows? I was curious as to if there were any playback/performance issues running windows with full BD and bistreaming.
(2013-01-02, 02:34)GreenOnyx Wrote: Was just thinking of picking one of these up but I want it for full BD playback and HD audio. The bitstreaming isn't working with the latest XBMC Frodo release? Is this an issue on the XBMC side or the hardware/driver side of this zotac?

Has anyone streamed full BDMV with it using Windows? I was curious as to if there were any playback/performance issues running windows with full BD and bistreaming.

Same thoughts here. Just wanted to order one today. But I will wait some time then. As I want HD audio to work ofcourse.

If some has more info..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ZOTAC ZBOX nano AD12 AMD E2-18001