ZOTAC ZBOX nano AD12 AMD E2-1800
(2013-01-23, 18:20)RamHawk Wrote: Here's what I have in the box:

8GB single SO-DIMM - Patriot Signature. I think I paid $32 (amazing price)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820220618

Zotac has a "tested memory list" on their web site in the support / downloads section.

128 GB SSD SATA III Drive - ADATA. I think I paid $100. You can go with a smaller (GB) drive but the cost wasn't too much cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820211596

Any hard drive you put in needs to be the thinner 2.5" hard drive style.

Cool thank you! Now I just need to wait for Newegg to stock the barebone model or find it for sale somewhere else.
Just placed my order, I opted for the SSD that was on sale today: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820147192

If I have a 1TB usb hard drive, can I stream 1080p mkv from that or does it need to be on the SSD or network?

Also, I know these are really low power but does it allow WOL/Wake On LAN?
Nice, curious about your experience....
Just ordered one from Newegg after reading through this thread. I have a spare Micron C400 256GB SSD and an 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM so I'm going to split the the drive into two partitions and load Windows 7 on one and Ubuntu on the other just to see how it runs in each OS.

Cheers,
Kermee
(2013-01-25, 22:36)Freefallmerc Wrote: If I have a 1TB usb hard drive, can I stream 1080p mkv from that or does it need to be on the SSD or network?

USB 2.0 external drive should be fast enough for 1080P MKV in most cases.

(2013-01-25, 22:36)Freefallmerc Wrote: Also, I know these are really low power but does it allow WOL/Wake On LAN?

I'll be looking into this also when I receive my unit, but reliability of WOL has improved greatly over the past few years so I would highly doubt it wouldn't work correctly out of the box.

Cheers,
Kermee
(2013-01-08, 00:44)GreenOnyx Wrote: Appreciate all of the info as well, I did notice the ID42 this morning and might go that route once I look into it more, USB doesn't matter to me.

My main concern is still psysfaction mentioning that HD audio wasn't working properly with the AD12. Bitstreaming is a must for me, my entire collection is blu-ray. With the card that's in the AD12 I'm not sure why it would be a problem, but it's always possible it's something specific to the AD12 I guess. I know it's not bitstreaming as a whole because I do that perfectly with my PC right now.

One thing I really wish is that zotac would figure out their model naming, it's terrible and not intuitive at all.

I've been using now 3 different boxes with ups and downs...
I'm using Openelec on them and they are all running with ssd and 4 gb ram.
I have no problem playing 1080p mkv rips but HD audio won't work on Linux yet. This is not a problem of the Zotac box but rather a general problem with AMD hardware and Linux. So it's quite possible that someone will update the drivers for linux and then the AD12 would also be able to do bitstreaming.
I guess that it can do HD-Audio if you install windows 7 and use XBMC from there.

looking forward to the stable release of Frodo to see if ti fixes some of my smaller issus I was having.
I actually picked the AD12 up a couple weeks back, I've just been too busy (and sick) to post back my results.

So far I love it. It's a little less powered than I want for my main room, but I expected this, and it's actually plenty of power to get the job done. I doubt I'll demote it to the bedroom for a while.

Off the top of my head my suggestions to people that get this and use windows for HD are:

1. Install the zotac page's video/chipset driver package, then you can upgrade the ATI graphics drivers. There are chipset/usb drivers that aren't in the normal package.

2. The LAN driver link was broken for me (it's fixed now), if it goes down the NIC is a Realtek R8169C if I recall.

3. I had problems with the device waking up too often, I think it was the "Wake on pattern match" set to true in the NIC adapter settings.

4. I use a harmony one remote, downloading and customizing the MCE Keyboard device from harmony gave me much better functionality than the MCE Remote.

I just got what I think are the last few quirks worked out and am loving it so far. If anyone has setup/configuration issues I'd suggest posting here as I'm sure we've all hit little things and can help you save some time.
(2013-01-28, 20:41)GreenOnyx Wrote: I actually picked the AD12 up a couple weeks back, I've just been too busy (and sick) to post back my results.

So far I love it. It's a little less powered than I want for my main room, but I expected this, and it's actually plenty of power to get the job done. I doubt I'll demote it to the bedroom for a while.

Off the top of my head my suggestions to people that get this and use windows for HD are:

1. Install the zotac page's video/chipset driver package, then you can upgrade the ATI graphics drivers. There are chipset/usb drivers that aren't in the normal package.

2. The LAN driver link was broken for me (it's fixed now), if it goes down the NIC is a Realtek R8169C if I recall.

3. I had problems with the device waking up too often, I think it was the "Wake on pattern match" set to true in the NIC adapter settings.

4. I use a harmony one remote, downloading and customizing the MCE Keyboard device from harmony gave me much better functionality than the MCE Remote.

I just got what I think are the last few quirks worked out and am loving it so far. If anyone has setup/configuration issues I'd suggest posting here as I'm sure we've all hit little things and can help you save some time.

What hard drive did you use? mechanical or ssd?
SSD from amazon: Crucial m4 64GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2

RAM from newegg: G.SKILL 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-1333C9S-8GSA

I have an old laptop hdd here that I'll try when I buy my next unit, but I haven't had the time to test it yet. I'm interested to see any playback difference.

I didn't know this before, but the AD12 requires a 9.5 mm hard drive (I had no clue there were differences). Evidently the one I got I got is 9.5, but it was a TIGHT fit screw hole wise for the bracket. I was concerned getting it put together. I'm not sure if this is just this drive or it's something with the bracket. Either way, definitely pay attention and don't accidentally grab a larger drive, it'd definitely be a problem fitting in the unit.
Finally had a chance to play with it a little bit. Didn't realize how small these things are!

Decided to test with a spare Intel X-25M 80GB (Kingston Branded) for now. Probably put in a Crucial m4 256GB down the road.

Cheers,
Kermee
So will I have to use XBMC for playing media or can I also use something like KMPlayer or VLC? I think I read that hardware decoding is required?
You'll want hardware decoding because of the lack of processor speed.

You can use anything you'd be able to on a normal computer if you can work out the remote control and other things. It's really just a normal PC, just without the processing power and ability to upgrade.

Kermee: Definitely agree on the size, I knew it'd be small but laughed when I took it out of the box and looked at it.
What's the noise like on this unit?
I haven't noticed it at all, but I'm not as picky as some other people I know and have a lot of other devices in this room. I've put my ear down to it and I don't notice anything that should ever be audible during a movie or show.
(2013-01-30, 22:12)djon Wrote: What's the noise like on this unit?

Right now it's sitting in my office at work and with the ambient noise levels here, even though by office standards it's pretty quiet, I cannot hear the fan in the unit once I'm about 2 feet away from it. -- As for the 'bedroom-dead-silence-so-I-can-sleep-test', I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it has to be easily much quieter than my ASRock ION 330 that it would be replacing.

Cheers,
Kermee

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ZOTAC ZBOX nano AD12 AMD E2-18001