[RELEASE] ISY Events and Browser for Insteon and X10 Home Automation Control
rmk1139
I'm moving my HA to my newly purchased ISY and glad to see XBMC integration - thank you for making this!

One issue, likely my setup... I can trigger Programs just fine with ISY Browser but it does not work with ISY Events? I only have 2 Programs - one for Start/Resume & one for Pause/Stop. I have the Programs disabled in the ISY since I only want them to run if your XBMC addon triggers them. What am I missing?

And as usual, the new guy has suggestions Smile

Being new to ISY the instructions for setup are confusing - a new ISYer may not know what a Node # is and the ISY Browser does not make it apparent that in order to see Node # you must open Context menu on the highlighted item - or look in Properties in the ISY GUI itself. I did not know any of this until I went looking. Might want to update/clarify setup for new users either on the first post and/or wiki

To simplify things, and IMO make things more easier in several ways, is to have XBMC only report to ISY a status... ISY will store the status in a Variable (or similar) and thus, ISY can act upon a variable change.

There are several advantages to do this IMO...
1) XBMC becomes a 'dumb' node. No settings are stored, or lost, if XBMC changes/dies/etc.
2) Setting up every different event in XBMC is tedious - in ISY it is very quick and simple
3) Settings stored in XBMC are not portable - change to a new or updated ISY and everything could need to be redone in XBMC
4) Simply setting variables in ISY allows a host of new ways to use ISY Programs
5) Home Automation is really meant to have the triggers/programming/logic/etc in a central hub, not the end-nodes... so it will be conforming to defacto design standards

I hope you will consider adding this.

thanks.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RELEASE] ISY Events and Browser for Insteon and X10 Home Automation Control - by Livin - 2013-12-13, 05:53
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] ISY Events and Browser for Insteon and X10 Home Automation Control1