Req Sync media for offline use
I think it's all .net/mono stuff, so it would be too hard to reuse their code in Kodi and vice versa. One or the other would require a lot of rewriting for the two to merge as far as application goes. However, we're always open to improving communicating between Kodi and Emby in a client/server model. I think some stuff has even been done in the past to that end.
(2015-08-18, 14:07)bry- Wrote: @Pete_Repeat - this can be done with emby and their sync feature: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Sync

Thanks.

And looks like Emby can be integrated into Kodi... Hmm. So maybe tags can be used in Kodi for its smart playlists. I best see how integrated it is, as in to a level where I can use Kodi for everything but Emby does it stuff in the background.

Best do some reading and see how it all works together then.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

So it appears now I have the Emby addon installed, in order to record the watched status in emby I need to navigate to the amby addon and select the video from there? Or can I watch the video through Kodi's usual navigation and the emby database also stores the watched status from that method as well?

On my Android device I have installed Emby, and I guess I should watch the video through that, to have a record I have watched it when on the tablet. Will this then sync the watched status when the tablet it back on the local network of my Emby server? It won't always have internet access so hope it syncs once able to connect to the emby server.

Might not be the best place to ask, so if not then I will start another topic. Figured it's Kodi related as much as Emby but can ask this on their forums if suggested.
@Pete_Repeat - it will sync through all kodi devices that have emby installed and used as the source of the media. I had to wipe my db and start from scratch because I could not get the kodi library to import to emby (probably my fault). but now all my devices are working happily.

LAN
  • Mac Mini running win with 15.1
  • gigabyte brix running win8 with 15.1
  • firetv running 15.1

External
  • Nexus Player
  • Samsung galaxy s5
  • win8.1 running kodi
  • droid turbo
Thanks for the comments.

Seems I had to wipe my library as well as I had two of everything. And when I watched one of the video files in Kodi, the emby database wasn't updated. Then when I watched the other copy, the database was updated.

Quite happy with it.

Improvements;

- Sync doesn't seem to always start. Often sits there saying "ready to transfer"
- No syncing of smart playlists, although it has an unwatched option and limit the amount of files so it's a start.
- Offline sync seems to work, but accessing the Emby app seems to need internet, but will access local synced data first. Not so ideal but I hope that changes. Well initial observations seem to show this but maybe I am wrong.

Yeh I know these comments are more about Emby but the integration into Kodi seems pretty good so I am happy in that aspect.
(2015-08-18, 19:42)Ned Scott Wrote: I think it's all .net/mono stuff, so it would be too hard to reuse their code in Kodi and vice versa. One or the other would require a lot of rewriting for the two to merge as far as application goes. However, we're always open to improving communicating between Kodi and Emby in a client/server model. I think some stuff has even been done in the past to that end.

From a user perspective Emby has all the missing links that most users are keen on:
- Transcoding (including PVR)
- Offline viewing (Emby Sync)
- Beautiful web interface (Yes we have Chorus, but still Emby is on another level)
- Web player (watch content in your browser, any device with or without transcoding)
- Server only (I am aware big efforts are being made in Kodi to have a headless version, Emby has it already and it supports Kodi as a client)
- User friendly: setting up Emby and using Kodi as the player only is a lot more easy for Kodi beginners to setup than doing everything in Kodi itself
- Guest access (share your library with friends/family)

The most common platforms (Win, Unix, many NAS's) have the ability today to use Emby in combination with Kodi. (This doesn't require to merge code bases, but merely adapt so the two integrate better.) If there was a tighter integration and collaboration there wouldn't be a need for the above features to be developed in Kodi anymore.
The answer we always get here is "yes great features, yes there is a lot of demand, but no nobody cares to implement it"...

Maybe Team-Kodi could reach out to Team-Emby and really become the best media center solution (again). Nod
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
I hear you.

Mediamonkey sync was great (found it better than Emby for flexibility in the playlists).

WMC did TV and PVR really well.

Kodi, well great potential and enjoying it.... but a few key features are stopping it being the one stop I initially thought it would be. I'm sticking around and respect the work that has been done. Especially something that is free.

Happy to find Emby though as that semi fills one hole I found in Kodi.
Maybe we can benefit in a way that some of those power users who are missing those features are just moving over to it. We don't need to keep repeating that we are not interested and users are happy with the other project Big Grin

(also it still stands that the contributions from the community in regard to feature implementations are rare - so at least its not only the team which has no interest - its also the non-team developers who are not interested in giving things a shot...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Any time there's been discussion between the two groups it seems to go well, so there's already some collaboration. Any tighter integration would depend on things like the media import work that is already being worked on. The media import project doesn't just help UPnP sources, but allows anything to be a media provider, including Emby, allowing it to hook into Kodi's native library.
Well it looked like the void was filled for now... Until I realised to use the Emby app on my tablet that it still had to be connected to the internet to open the app. If a video was chosen that was local then it didn't stream, but played local version.

Hmm so not quite there. I figured offline sync would allow to use emby without the internet. But if I use another app to play the video files instead then there is no record of watched status.

Damn. Just when I think I'm almost there.
(2015-08-21, 14:46)Pete_Repeat Wrote: Well it looked like the void was filled for now... Until I realised to use the Emby app on my tablet that it still had to be connected to the internet to open the app. If a video was chosen that was local then it didn't stream, but played local version.

Hmm so not quite there. I figured offline sync would allow to use emby without the internet. But if I use another app to play the video files instead then there is no record of watched status.

Damn. Just when I think I'm almost there.

I believe on offline mode is still coming. I know there are posts on their forums for this issue at least, so hopefully will be resolved soon.
(2015-08-20, 13:15)tripkip Wrote:
(2015-08-18, 19:42)Ned Scott Wrote: I think it's all .net/mono stuff, so it would be too hard to reuse their code in Kodi and vice versa. One or the other would require a lot of rewriting for the two to merge as far as application goes. However, we're always open to improving communicating between Kodi and Emby in a client/server model. I think some stuff has even been done in the past to that end.

From a user perspective Emby has all the missing links that most users are keen on:
- Transcoding (including PVR)
- Offline viewing (Emby Sync)
- Beautiful web interface (Yes we have Chorus, but still Emby is on another level)
- Web player (watch content in your browser, any device with or without transcoding)
- Server only (I am aware big efforts are being made in Kodi to have a headless version, Emby has it already and it supports Kodi as a client)
- User friendly: setting up Emby and using Kodi as the player only is a lot more easy for Kodi beginners to setup than doing everything in Kodi itself
- Guest access (share your library with friends/family)

The most common platforms (Win, Unix, many NAS's) have the ability today to use Emby in combination with Kodi. (This doesn't require to merge code bases, but merely adapt so the two integrate better.) If there was a tighter integration and collaboration there wouldn't be a need for the above features to be developed in Kodi anymore.
The answer we always get here is "yes great features, yes there is a lot of demand, but no nobody cares to implement it"...

Maybe Team-Kodi could reach out to Team-Emby and really become the best media center solution (again). Nod

Are there any news regarding sync media on mobile for offline use in kodi, yet.
Or how do you do it?
Do you use emby as a second addon for doing so?
Any suggestions?
I forgot I asked for this feature seven years ago. Smile

In the last couple of years I used Yatse (https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...free&hl=de).
It is one of the best Android Apps of all time in my opinion.

You can select movies, episodes, ... to store them offline on your mobile device.
And it syncs the watched status including current position if you did not finished the video.
(2019-04-25, 12:28)GodzillaXP Wrote: I forgot I asked for this feature seven years ago. Smile

In the last couple of years I used Yatse (https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...free&hl=de).
It is one of the best Android Apps of all time in my opinion.

You can select movies, episodes, ... to store them offline on your mobile device.
And it syncs the watched status including current position if you did not finished the video.

I will check it out, thx.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sync media for offline use1