1st HTPC - Critique My Build / Tell me about cases and PSUs
Hello everyone! Been reading the forums for the past month or so and finally registered. I'm getting close to buying the components for my first HTPC and would love some critique.

I'm looking for something with a small form factor. I might be moving the machine between rooms until I get a 2nd unit down the road, so something small and easy to carry around is what I'm looking for. The parts I'm currently looking at are at the bottom of this post. Primarily I'd like the box to be able to stream 1080p video, maybe some light emulation gaming... but mostly just video. I was planning to use it with OpenELEC, but might be open to other options (still pretty new to this, but OpenELEC seemed like the best option for quick boot times and a pretty no frills XBMC experience). This is a bit of a pet project for me and I've never used a linux system before so I might tinker around with different distributions just to see what the limits of my little HTPC might be.

Media for now will be served off of an external HD either attached directly to the HTPC, or connected to another PC on the network (but would be streaming wirelessly... mostly 720p content). I plan to build an unraid server down the line but until then I'm likely going to get a simple NAS enclosure and hardwire it into my router.

My main question revolves around cases/psu's. I'd like to use one of the Antec ISK-300's but I've heard a lot of fuss being made about the PSUs. I really like the look of the Realan E-I7 case and was wondering if the included PSU with that case is adequate. I will probably go with the Realan E-I7 if you guys think that case is legit. Also, does anyone have experience with the Inwin BQS656.DD120BL? Is the PSU on that adequate? It says 120w so unless they're lying I'm assuming it will be enough.

Can somebody also tell me if the specs of this machine will provide a fluid UI experience with XBMC using some of the more flashy skins? Anyways, looking forward to whatever advice I might be able to get!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-ITX Mini ITX FM2 Motherboard ($101.00 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial V4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.00 @ B&H)
Case: Inwin BQS656.DD120BL Mini ITX Desktop Case w/120W Power Supply ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $402.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-28 13:42 EST-0500)
Everything looks great.
The case dimensions: 8.90" x 3.00" x 7.60"
The Shuriken is 58 mm or 2.28 Inches

This looks like plenty of room, so you should be okay with clearance.
sweet. I just saw that the 120W PSU is now standard for the I-E7 case so I think that should be fine, and that case has a little more clearance as well.

Pretty excited to get this thing going finally!
Realan E-i7 is definitely legit Smile. The Big Shuriken will fit if you forego the optical drive.
Why not buy A8-5500 instead of AMD A6-5400K?
You have the same consommation 65W for 4 Cores and a better GPU.
(2012-11-29, 10:43)Mescribe Wrote: Why not buy A8-5500 instead of AMD A6-5400K?
You have the same consommation 65W for 4 Cores and a better GPU.
Why stop there....and why not A10-5700?

I'm almost sure the reason for not going w/ A8 is price. A6 is $30+ cheaper than A8, and A10 is nearly $60 higher than A6.....for HTPC, A6 should do everything that A8 and A10 can....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
A10 (and possibly A8) also draws too much power with the ASRock board for a 120W power supply. You can turn off turbo and move the frequency down to 2.5GHz and you'll be more like 70W and still have a killer HTPC APU with the best GPU but I am not sure how much that gains you over the A6-5400K.

sweet, thanks for the reassurances Dougie and Bluray. It seems like you have to eventually decide when the spec sheet says enough is enough. I think that this build should suit my needs perfectly for awhile.

Will post a write up once I have the machine completed in a few weeks
(2012-11-29, 19:23)rip_king Wrote: I think that this build should suit my needs perfectly for awhile.
The price and spec of A6-5400K are perfect for low cost HTPC, and it should serve you well.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st HTPC - Critique My Build / Tell me about cases and PSUs0