• 16(current)
Integrated Video Game Emulators
(2013-02-17, 18:23)Eldorado Wrote: xceph, are you on windows? I use a gui front end for git called msysgit - http://msysgit.github.com/

Setup an account on github, fork garbears repository to your account

Make your changes in your repo (pushing changes to your repo via msysgit is easy) and then do a pull request to garbear, this pushes your updates back to him

@garbear, I may have missed this, but is button mapping per emu possible?

I use githubs own client, works like a charm and is VERY easy to setup Wink http://windows.github.com/
updated to lastest head commit, finally able to try and put up my pull request... Such a dumb mistake on my part took so long Smile
Garbear I just used the exact commands posted earlier to setup my Git Pull and had no idea what I was doing but the name seems appropriate! I am compiling now and will update shortly as to how it's going. The box I'm compiling on now has no controller hooked to it yet but I've got a 360 and somewhere have the PC adapter for it which I assume is what folks are using? I don't have BT working on it or I'd try a wii controller maybe but the 360 seems a better unit to use.

Anyway, I followed the pull instructions posted earlier to mod my mainline repo here and am compiling - fingers crossed it completes :-)

Update: Success! Took forever as I was compiling single threaded but it's now installed. I have to run out but IF I can manage to get MAME ROMs running I'll be doing a Snoopy Dance for sure!

Doh! No MAME! I'm crushed. I'll have to see what other ROMs I have kicking around but MAME is by far my main source of interest - I grew up playing arcade games :-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
@xceph does xbmc still crash if you change mistakenly change joystick.xml? thanks for the pr btw

@Jaeensson i jacked my friend's wii controller, linux gamepad support coming soon

@Eldorado no button mapping per emu yet. what do you have in mind?
(2013-02-18, 04:19)garbear Wrote: @xceph does xbmc still crash if you change mistakenly change joystick.xml? thanks for the pr btw

Nope, can't reproduce it... I'm guessing it was a bad install/update
Linux support for gamepads is in. multiplayer is coming kudos to xceph. no axes yet

If compiling for linux, make sure you configure with --enable-joystick, for example ./configure --enable-joystick --enable-debug --disable-optimizations
(2013-02-18, 04:19)garbear Wrote: @Eldorado no button mapping per emu yet. what do you have in mind?

More wondering if it's a possibility in the libretro framework, just to the variation of buttons in each system you may not like how the defaults are mapped... one setup may work good for NES, but not so great for Genesis, so you would obviously want to have custom maps saved for each... and then there's arcade games where I'm hoping FBA still allows a per game button mapping - haven't tried this emu yet

I was thinking eventually there would be a screen where you see a list of emulators you have installed, and either can edit settings per each emu depending if the cores expose options that can be configured to the front end.. or rather completely new section in xbmc system settings specifically for libretro, and you set your options there at a more high level

To extend even further, does libretro allow you to do any other customizations per emu (screen res, audio, turning game hacks on/off)? Or in this case is most of that stuff up to handling within the XBMC interface?
(2013-02-18, 10:46)garbear Wrote: Linux support for gamepads is in. multiplayer is coming kudos to xceph. no axes yet

If compiling for linux, make sure you configure with --enable-joystick, for example ./configure --enable-joystick --enable-debug --disable-optimizations

Ah, good to know - I'll add joystick to my compilation for sure! It looks like Libretro has the ability to play MAME ROM, what will it take to support that in the XBMC implementation?
From the looks of it MAME is a bit of an issue and has some performance problems, 64bit may also be an issue. I will have to play aorund with other platforms for now it seems, heck just getting a joystick running will be cool.

Gotta' say, again, this is a truly awesome project and will add tons to XBMC's appeal. Much appreciated!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Code compiled, installed, emulator for SNES installed, XBMC exited and restarted, goto file browser, choose an SMC file from within a zip, hit enter - nada. Pull file from the zip and try again from the OS (NAS share via SMB) and again nothing.

What have I missed? Something stupid I'm thinking Sad
same here BLKMGK. I also tried compiling my own emus, still nothing. Log shows nothing either.
(2013-02-18, 16:58)Eldorado Wrote:
(2013-02-18, 04:19)garbear Wrote: @Eldorado no button mapping per emu yet. what do you have in mind?

More wondering if it's a possibility in the libretro framework, just to the variation of buttons in each system you may not like how the defaults are mapped... one setup may work good for NES, but not so great for Genesis, so you would obviously want to have custom maps saved for each... and then there's arcade games where I'm hoping FBA still allows a per game button mapping - haven't tried this emu yet

I was thinking eventually there would be a screen where you see a list of emulators you have installed, and either can edit settings per each emu depending if the cores expose options that can be configured to the front end.. or rather completely new section in xbmc system settings specifically for libretro, and you set your options there at a more high level

To extend even further, does libretro allow you to do any other customizations per emu (screen res, audio, turning game hacks on/off)? Or in this case is most of that stuff up to handling within the XBMC interface?

In Retroarch this is solved by keeping different configuration files per core. For example I have a SNES/NES/Sega config, a SNES without save state support, one for PSX and one for MAME. This XBMC integration needs something similar.
@BLKMGK, N3MIS15, I fixed the game launching issue

@BLKMGK, I'll get MAME working soon. XBMC only runs on 32-bit windows, so only 32-bit cores can be loaded

@Eldorado, Libretro dictates the screen resolution (per game). What audio config should there be? Hacks (both ROM and save-state modifications) are a possibility, and will probably be extended to python scripts.

Gamepad re-configuration probably makes the most sense per-platform instead of per-emulator IMO, except for arcade per-game configurations. The tricky part is the GUI and/or xml files. XBMC is a mediacenter, so usability is an extremely high priority. When I get to gamepad re-configuration I'll need usability impressions from multiple testers.

The most frictious part of RetroPlayer's eventual merge is the interfaces - the GUI and, to a lesser extent, the APIs. So it's important that we nail the usability aspect. To that extent, insights on usability (mostly design, also feedback) are highly appreciated.
mwaterbu: I think that this is a very intelligent and intuitive method of tackling per-platform gamepad configuration.

Mame provides some challenges as configuration needs to be handled per-game.

The controls.dat project may be of assistance as they have been documenting each individual game to assist with frontend configurations. It may be something that the dev's want to investigate.

http://controls.arcadecontrols.com/contr...ntrols.php
MAME don't need a per-game config, a per arcade platform should be enough (e.g. NeoGeo, CPS-1, CPS-2) and would provide a intuitive way to set the controlls.
Of course, not all NeoGeo titles are using all buttons, but it would be the most user friendly way imho.
(2013-02-19, 14:27)garbear Wrote: @Eldorado, Libretro dictates the screen resolution (per game). What audio config should there be? Hacks (both ROM and save-state modifications) are a possibility, and will probably be extended to python scripts.

Gamepad re-configuration probably makes the most sense per-platform instead of per-emulator IMO, except for arcade per-game configurations. The tricky part is the GUI and/or xml files. XBMC is a mediacenter, so usability is an extremely high priority. When I get to gamepad re-configuration I'll need usability impressions from multiple testers.

I agree on the game pad config! My thinking was a bit narrow as I only use 1 emu per system rather than a variety Smile

As for extra options like sound, video etc. most emus have their own set of config options that you can tweak on your own, some have certain options while others don't, and depending on your hardware and the system being emulated these options can affect your performance, and in some cases the emu's are able to produce better than what the original systems were capable of - though not everyone likes to take advantage of these 'upgrade options'

For example... I use fceux currently on windows, I set the screen res to I believe 800x600 and have it stretched to fill my widescreen.. the purists would likely say this is blasphemy and want the original aspect ratio kept, but I like the ability to do this and fceux does a good job as things still look rather proportional

I'm probably thinking of this backwards, and since you say libretro itself dictates the screen res.. so maybe these type of options can be done at a system level as well?
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Integrated Video Game Emulators22