AtvCloner + AppleTV1 + CHD + XBMC + Linux
Hey just a heads up to those with an AppleTV 1 that might want another option to setup their AppleTV1 for xbmc linux without too much hassle. You can use AtvCloner and a modified recovery.img and premade xbmc linux image to set everything up once its all downloaded (sorry at this time mac only as atvcloner is a mac only app).

Details (as far as they are) are here http://dynaflashtech.net/2011/02/16/atvc...x-capable/

AtvCloner is an app on your mac, you have to remove your AppleTV hard drive and hook it up to your mac via a usb adapter (pretty common and cheap). Once that's done fire up AtvCloner and pick your images and let it rip. Once it's done unmount your atv drive, stick it back in your atv and plug it in. Done.

I will add more documentation as I can. But for now figured I'd offer it out here. Special thanks to berylium and BradleyS from the HandBrake project and most of all davilla from xbmc for helping me suss out the intricacies of getting xbmc linux to work reliably on the AppleTV 1 . Smile

For what its worth running smoothly on three different AppleTV 1's here and on four other test AppleTVs.
Hi, try to comment on your site but never received the confirmation email.

One question.

After the new Linux partition is installed does the ATV boot only with that OS ? Or will instead become a dual boot system ? Any chance to revert back to normal if needed ?

Thanks
What versions of XBMC and Linux are the images at that site running?

I'm looking to get on a later version of XBMC than Dharma official and a later version of Linux than the ancient Crystalbuntu build.
I've just tried this method twice now on two different drives but having a slight issue.

First time on boot, everything is fine. Work's like a charm. But if for some reason I shutdown, or the appletv crashes and I have to reboot, the drive is mounted using a read-only mode.

During boot up I get "contains a file system with errors. check forced"
Then I get Unexpected Inconsistency: Run fsck manually.
The root filesystem is currently mounted in read only mode.

Then ask's me to restart. This is on my second drive like I mentioned

I'm not jumping the gun and blaming this way, but if someone could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks
dynaflash Wrote:Hey just a heads up to those with an AppleTV 1 that might want another option to setup their AppleTV1 for xbmc linux without too much hassle. You can use AtvCloner and a modified recovery.img and premade xbmc linux image to set everything up once its all downloaded (sorry at this time mac only as atvcloner is a mac only app).

[ ]

For what its worth running smoothly on three different AppleTV 1's here and on four other test AppleTVs.

Would it be possible to use this to set up an external usb drive which would then booth the ATV, while keeping the internal ATV drive in place? I have already removed the internal and replaced it by a larger drive. I still have the original internal drive. The idea would be to use a powered usb hard drive. I guess the problem might be that the process for booting from usb is different than from ide?

philip
Nice work dynaflash, been waiting for an easy way to install linux/XBMC on the HDD and this sounds good.

pmcd you could always just use a USB flash drive, you can get a version of Sam.Nazarko's ATV linux image for USB here. Use USB Image tool for Windows or some other similar tool to write the image to a flash drive. Just plug it in and it auto updates itself and runs XBMC, unplugged it boots to OSX ATV.

dynaflash any chance of a linux/ubuntu version of ATVcloner, at least then others without Mac's could make use of this.
Starstream Wrote:Nice work dynaflash, been waiting for an easy way to install linux/XBMC on the HDD and this sounds good.

pmcd you could always just use a USB flash drive, you can get a version of Sam.Nazarko's ATV linux image for USB here. Use USB Image tool for Windows or some other similar tool to write the image to a flash drive. Just plug it in and it auto updates itself and runs XBMC, unplugged it boots to OSX ATV.

dynaflash any chance of a linux/ubuntu version of ATVcloner, at least then others without Mac's could make use of this.

Thanks. I have been using Sam's older image and the openelec image in this fashion. I just have this extra hard drive sitting around and thought it might be an interesting alternative. Do you think it would work?

I guess the question is whether a USB hard drive would actually boot the ATV using atvcloner or whether the ATV would get confused having two similar boot drives.

If a flash drive can boot the ATV then surely a USB hard drive can.

Ultimately I am after some kind of Chameleon (?) type boot manager which would allow you to select what to boot without having to unplug things.

philip
Where can I download this or is it not available anymore? I have a Apple TV 1 with a bad hard drive and would like to try this. Anyone know? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian
For those looking to add hardware (USB) to ATV1 or just want an image that is easier to manage, try this one based on Linux Mint 10 (Ubuntu 10.10).

It comes with Dharma but updates easily by the Linux Mint GUI or apt.

http://teknogeekz.com/blog/?page_id=276
(2012-08-07, 03:24)kastawaykid Wrote: Where can I download this or is it not available anymore? I have a Apple TV 1 with a bad hard drive and would like to try this. Anyone know? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

Had some site issues, its back up dynaflashtech.net.
Can anyone upload the latest ATVCloner Tool? Unfortunately the website is still down Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AtvCloner + AppleTV1 + CHD + XBMC + Linux0