• 41(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
I'm away for Xmas at the moment, the earliest I'll be able to look at any issues is Saturday, that's if no one else has been able to help in the meantime.
I need some help please:

System: Intel NUC D54250WYK
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Display and audio: Samsung F6500 TV
Connections: NUC to TV via mini HDMI to HDMI cable
XBMC: Frodo 12.3 (same problem in 12.2 though)

Problem: DTS audio doesnt work and causes severe video stuttering in XBMC. If I set to analog, all works fine

Other stuff:

1) I updated all drivers and bios
2) I tried to solve the problem via the wiki "Windows Settings for Audio engine" and noticed that in step 5 my "Encoded Formats" list is empty. However as far as I can tell, DTS audio works fine in VLC without XBMC

Any ideas please? I`d love not to be limited to analog audio.......

Thanks!
does your TV support DTS ?
if not disable it.

your limitation are the audio formats your TV supports.
did you read the first page of this topic and followed the steps 1 by 1 ?
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Yes, it supports the following:

Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby Pulse
DTS Studio Sound
DTS Premium Audio 5.1
3D Sound available
Down Firing + Full Range Speaker Type

I read through page 1 as well as the wiki and tried the various steps. I have a debug log if it may help http://pastebin.com/nwqeKz6C

Thanks
(2013-12-25, 20:29)jjd-uk Wrote: I'm away for Xmas at the moment, the earliest I'll be able to look at any issues is Saturday, that's if no one else has been able to help in the meantime.

Much appreciated. I figured it was a bad time to post my issue Tongue
(2013-12-23, 23:36)evilnightmare Wrote: I dont know what other things there is to do, please help! I will do everything to get it to work. I prefer HDMI so I hope to get a permanent solution for that. I can also live with SPDIF as backup, so it would be nice to get a solution on both.

Thank you for your replays! Smile

First thing, can you confirm whether everything is connected up and switched on before you switch on the PC and start XBMC?

It could be that your USB soundcard does not support encoded format passthrough of DTS & DD.

What I need from you:

1. Debug log file, see log_file (wiki) for how to get this

2. Screenshots of the following Windows from your PC

For any HDMI driver listed in Sound, video and game controllers

(2013-12-24, 02:59)GFunkAllstar Wrote: Evening gentlemen! So I finally got around to upgrading xbmc to the latest release last night (I was still on Eden!), and I've encountered an issue playing back files with PCM audio. All files containing PCM give me stuttered audio with a lot of loud popping from all channels. Here's my log file... http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101303

I should also note that I'm using WASAPI when I get these results. When I try Directsound, I get nothing but static. Didn't have any problems with these files on Eden!

I'm running Windows 7, 64bit. NVIDIA GT 610 video card > HDMI to Denon AVR-889 with 5.1 speaker setup. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately there's nothing obvious that sticks out as being the cause, however there are a number of video related errors so first can you eliminate any issues being caused by the video processing, to do this turn off:

1. DXVA2 hardware acceleration
2. Match refresh rate
3. Sync to display

If no change then go ahead and set back to what they were.

On the audio side could you try with Speaker Configuration set to 7.1 and also 2.0.

I notice also "Boost volume on downmix" is enable, please try with this disabled.

Do you have "Multichannel LPCM capable receiver" enabled? if so try also with this disabled.
(2013-12-26, 12:25)Acrobat76 Wrote: I need some help please:

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Problem: DTS audio doesnt work and causes severe video stuttering in XBMC. If I set to analog, all works fine

Other stuff:

2) I tried to solve the problem via the wiki "Windows Settings for Audio engine" and noticed that in step 5 my "Encoded Formats" list is empty. However as far as I can tell, DTS audio works fine in VLC without XBMC

Thanks!

(2013-12-26, 14:18)Acrobat76 Wrote: Yes, it supports the following:

DTS Studio Sound
DTS Premium Audio 5.1
3D Sound available

I read through page 1 as well as the wiki and tried the various steps. I have a debug log if it may help http://pastebin.com/nwqeKz6C

Thanks

Despite what you think, that debug log shows that the HDMI only supports 2 channel LPCM support, that is why Windows shows the encoded formats box as empty.

This is not unusual, very few TV's support encoded formats via their HDMI In, formats like DTS are normally restricted to being decoded from either a received digital broadcast signal via the aerial or to the DLNA & USB media playback function.

If you have an AVR then you'll need to connect the NUC directly to that in order to get 5.1 surround sound, if you haven't then 2 channel audio is the best you can get anyway so set:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
(2013-12-28, 15:18)jjd-uk Wrote: Unfortunately there's nothing obvious that sticks out as being the cause, however there are a number of video related errors so first can you eliminate any issues being caused by the video processing, to do this turn off:

2. Match refresh rate
3. Sync to display

On the audio side could you try with Speaker Configuration set to 7.1 and also 2.0.

I notice also "Boost volume on downmix" is enable, please try with this disabled.

Do you have "Multichannel LPCM capable receiver" enabled? if so try also with this disabled.

Gave this all a try. Unfortunately no positive results. I'm beginning to wonder if there's an issue with my receiver. It's a Denon AVR-889 and is supposedly capable of Multichannel LPCM. What really stumps me though is that these problems didn't exist with Eden. hmmmm

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated!
(2013-12-28, 16:23)GFunkAllstar Wrote:
(2013-12-28, 15:18)jjd-uk Wrote: Unfortunately there's nothing obvious that sticks out as being the cause, however there are a number of video related errors so first can you eliminate any issues being caused by the video processing, to do this turn off:

2. Match refresh rate
3. Sync to display

Gave this all a try. Unfortunately no positive results. I'm beginning to wonder if there's an issue with my receiver. It's a Denon AVR-889 and is supposedly capable of Multichannel LPCM. What really stumps me though is that these problems didn't exist with Eden. hmmmm

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated!

Would it be possible for you to try a Gotham nightly development build? The nightly builds include an improved audio engine and all bug fixing and development is focused on this, meaning I can only ping the dev's for help if the issue has been replicated on a build based on the current master code.

If you don't want to interfere with your existing stable Frodo set-up, then the Gotham build can be installed along side Frodo in Portable Mode so it run's completely independently with it's own settings & storage of metadata. If interested in trying this and running Gotham in Portable Mode then I can provide instruction if you don't know what to do.
(2013-12-28, 17:35)jjd-uk Wrote: Would it be possible for you to try a Gotham nightly development build? The nightly builds include an improved audio engine and all bug fixing and development is focused on this, meaning I can only ping the dev's for help if the issue has been replicated on a build based on the current master code.

If you don't want to interfere with your existing stable Frodo set-up, then the Gotham build can be installed along side Frodo in Portable Mode so it run's completely independently with it's own settings & storage of metadata. If interested in trying this and running Gotham in Portable Mode then I can provide instruction if you don't know what to do.

The Frodo install is still fresh so I have nothing to lose. Would gladly give your suggestion a try... with your guidance of course Wink
(2013-12-28, 15:37)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-12-26, 12:25)Acrobat76 Wrote: I need some help please:

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Other stuff:

Thanks!

(2013-12-26, 14:18)Acrobat76 Wrote: Yes, it supports the following:

DTS Studio Sound
DTS Premium Audio 5.1
3D Sound available

Thanks

Despite what you think, that debug log shows that the HDMI only supports 2 channel LPCM support, that is why Windows shows the encoded formats box as empty.

This is not unusual, very few TV's support encoded formats via their HDMI In, formats like DTS are normally restricted to being decoded from either a received digital broadcast signal via the aerial or to the DLNA & USB media playback function.

If you have an AVR then you'll need to connect the NUC directly to that in order to get 5.1 surround sound, if you haven't then 2 channel audio is the best you can get anyway so set:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0

Thanks, understood now Smile
Hi,

I'm running XBMC frodo. I have an Onkyo HT-R380 receiver hooked up to my HTPC. The HTPC has an AMD Radeon HD 6870 hooked up. Unfortunately, the HDMI audio tells me my max number of channels is 6. I'm not quite sure how to fix it. I've made sure to reinstall the latest drivers from AMD directly, and still the same.

This is preventing me from DTS-HD, although DTS seems to work fine.

Any help on how to fix this would be much appreciated!
Just to make sure.
Connected as.
HTPC - hdmi - receiver - hdmi - tv.
Which OS ?
If Windows only installed the amd drives or did you also have the realtek drivers installed as first ?
Did your setup Windows correctly for the audio ?
Perhaps some screenshots.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Just for this thread but

I couldnt get DTS (no I havent tried HD yet) using WMC and Shark007 codec pack no matter what I did. I got Dolby Digital but no DTS (which I had working a few months ago and for whatever reason it stopped - maybe I updated something without checking). I asked the Shark himself and we tried heaps of settings (which I already knew) without result. I was stuck with PCM whenever I played non Dolby D media.

What I did notice is that my supported formats in AMD High Def Audio was only Dolby D and DTS Audio (I once had all of them listed). I tried a new AMD driver, Realteks AMD equivalent which is available!! I had no luck improving the supported formats.

So I tried XBMC for the first time on this HTPC machine and guess what - I had DTS back in all its glory with clean crisp sound.

I have a HD5450 - Yamaha 3063 - Sony Bravia .

Im doing an upgrade to a A6 6400k with new mobo obviously and will let all know of the outcome and what supported formats I end up with because Ill be stuck with the realtek chip and will have to rely on their drivers.

One thing that bothers me is that out of 3 movies with DTS audio, half way ish through 2 of them my screen on the TV went crazy with green lines all through it. It took a hard reboot to get it back and even then I had a screwed screen on boot screen which suggests my Vid card might be on the way out......this has only ever happened since XBMC and started a few days ago.
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10