• 42(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
@TRaSH:

Yep Connected as:

HTPC -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> TV

CEC disabled. No Realtek drivers. Completely uninstalled and deleted. Registry checked, realtek is completely gone.

HTPC is running Win 7 x64. 8 Gig of Ram, 6870 video card, 256 GB SSD. The machine is brand new, I put it together about 3 weeks ago.

I'd post screenshots, but I'm traveling for new years and am not home. Hoping to try a solution when I get back!
I see several people having trouble with DTS audio. My problem is with Dolby TrueHD. On the latest Gotham release, any TrueHD file has horrendous stuttering video and the audio just makes a rapid fire staccato ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta sound, until I exit XBMC. All other audio formats work fine. Windows 8.1, Gotham alpha... wait a sec. Just saw a new alpha, uploaded today. I'll try that first.

BTW, everything was fine on 12.2 Frodo, not sure if I've watched any TrueHD since upgrading software, but none of my hardware has changed. Onkyo 515, Panasonic 3D plasma, AMD HTPC.

Will post back after new update

edit: ok, the latest build does the same thing. I might roll back to Frodo, see if that helps. Surely it can't be hardware, since nothing has changed. But I'd hate to roll back to Frodo and still have the problem!
(2014-01-01, 01:43)alphaace Wrote: @TRaSH:

Yep Connected as:

HTPC -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> TV

CEC disabled. No Realtek drivers. Completely uninstalled and deleted. Registry checked, realtek is completely gone.

HTPC is running Win 7 x64. 8 Gig of Ram, 6870 video card, 256 GB SSD. The machine is brand new, I put it together about 3 weeks ago.

I'd post screenshots, but I'm traveling for new years and am not home. Hoping to try a solution when I get back!

Are you using drivers downloaded direct from AMD?

Many AVR's include an HDMI audio out option for passthrough audio through to the TV, this will break the ability of the AVR to decode audio and result in the capabilities of the TV being reported, look under HDMI settings and there will likely be an option like HDMI Audio with possible settings something like: Amp, Amp + TV, TV, Off

Set to Amp or Off.

If that is set correctly then it could be an EDID issue as AMD GPU's are well reknowned for this, refer to Section 3.ii. of 1st post.
(2014-01-01, 17:56)goresnet Wrote: I see several people having trouble with DTS audio. My problem is with Dolby TrueHD. On the latest Gotham release, any TrueHD file has horrendous stuttering video and the audio just makes a rapid fire staccato ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta sound, until I exit XBMC. All other audio formats work fine. Windows 8.1, Gotham alpha... wait a sec. Just saw a new alpha, uploaded today. I'll try that first.

BTW, everything was fine on 12.2 Frodo, not sure if I've watched any TrueHD since upgrading software, but none of my hardware has changed. Onkyo 515, Panasonic 3D plasma, AMD HTPC.

edit: ok, the latest build does the same thing. I might roll back to Frodo, see if that helps. Surely it can't be hardware, since nothing has changed. But I'd hate to roll back to Frodo and still have the problem!

Will need to see a debug log and a screenshot of your XBMC audio settings in order to help.
(2014-01-02, 13:21)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2014-01-01, 17:56)goresnet Wrote: I see several people having trouble with DTS audio. My problem is with Dolby TrueHD. On the latest Gotham release, any TrueHD file has horrendous stuttering video and the audio just makes a rapid fire staccato ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta sound, until I exit XBMC. All other audio formats work fine. Windows 8.1, Gotham alpha... wait a sec. Just saw a new alpha, uploaded today. I'll try that first.

Will need to see a debug log and a screenshot of your XBMC audio settings in order to help.

http://pastebin.com/zEakKNxZ

Not sure how to get a screenshot yet, or how to upload one from my phone (image link wants a url, not a local picture) but I'm on Wasapi (default) though the same thing happens on Wasapi HDMI TX-NR515 (my receiver),5.1, optimized, no output stereo all, yes normalize levels, meduim resample quality, keep audio alive 1 min, play gui only when stopped, no passthrough. Pretty much all default.
(2014-01-02, 18:42)goresnet Wrote: http://pastebin.com/zEakKNxZ

Not sure how to get a screenshot yet, or how to upload one from my phone (image link wants a url, not a local picture) but I'm on Wasapi (default) though the same thing happens on Wasapi HDMI TX-NR515 (my receiver),5.1, optimized, no output stereo all, yes normalize levels, meduim resample quality, keep audio alive 1 min, play gui only when stopped, no passthrough. Pretty much all default.
Curious as to why you don't have passthrough enabled since the log reports your equipment supports it? have you tested with passthrough enabled?

For screenshots just do a Print Scrn and paste to a site such as http://snag.gy/
I thought passthrough would send audio to the tv. I'll enable it, try it that way. Thanks

edit: OK, passthrough it was! Thanks again! Sometimes I feel so dumb!
I'm hoping for some advice on a problem I have. Currently I have 2 discrete audio sources from my PC. Both are HDMI, one via onboard graphics and the other via a seperate graphics card.

The first source runs from the PC to an Onkyo HTX-22HDX AV Receiver. For this source all Dolby / DTS formats are displayed in the control panel but as it only lists 6 as the number of channels then TrueHD and DTS-HD do not work. Which is fine, I live in an apartment and there's no point in disturbing the neighbours.

When I want to listen (loudly) to a movie I then use the other HDMI source. This is from the PC to the Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless headphones which is a marvellous bit of kit. Again all Dolby & DTS formats are displayed in the control panel, it also lists the number of channels as 8 so TrueHD and DTS-HD work in this mode.

The problem I have, when I want to use the headphones I switch off the Onkyo Receiver so the default device in the Control Panel changes to SONYAVAMP (the listing for the MDR-DS7500 headphones). All formats that were listed disappear, number of channels changes from 8 to 0 and no sounds will play. I have to restart the PC to get the settings back, I then also have to go into the properties and reconfigure the speaker layout to 7.1 as it always defaults to stereo.

I've tried the cascading as a single source solution, PC to the Sony MDR-DS7500 Control unit then output to the Onkyo HTX-22HDX AV Receiver. The problem is I then need to send the video to two sources and I cannot get a splitter to work properly, if the TV works the projector wont and vice versa.

I realise this is most probably down to AMD and their dreadful drivers. I'm wondering if anybody has two GPU's from different vendors in their PC and if they have do these work without conflicts as I was thinking about swapping out the AMD HD6570 for a Nvidia Card that supports HD audio and see if that'll work.
Just curious.
Why not plug your headphones in your reciever.
Then you don't need to mess with your settings.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2014-01-03, 08:18)TRaSH Wrote: Just curious.
Why not plug your headphones in your reciever.
Then you don't need to mess with your settings.
The headphones are wireless and have their own dedicated receiver. They are the only ones on the market to offer HDMI Loseless 7.1 Surround and they play all formats including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio. My Onkyo receiver doesn't even do this as it only shows 6 channels in Sound Properties and not 8.
(2014-01-03, 01:28)mookieman Wrote: The first source runs from the PC to an Onkyo HTX-22HDX AV Receiver. For this source all Dolby / DTS formats are displayed in the control panel but as it only lists 6 as the number of channels then TrueHD and DTS-HD do not work. Which is fine, I live in an apartment and there's no point in disturbing the neighbours.
What type of GPU is the integrated graphics? The Onkyo certainly seems capable of TrueHD/DTS-HD MA.

What version of XBMC are you using? Do you use add-on's? I ask as you might have better luck with a Gotham alpha build which allows you to select the output device as the Windows Default device, however it's likely a lot of add-ons won't be updated for Gotham yet so you'd need to check anything you rely on is compatible.
(2014-01-03, 13:16)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2014-01-03, 01:28)mookieman Wrote: The first source runs from the PC to an Onkyo HTX-22HDX AV Receiver. For this source all Dolby / DTS formats are displayed in the control panel but as it only lists 6 as the number of channels then TrueHD and DTS-HD do not work. Which is fine, I live in an apartment and there's no point in disturbing the neighbours.
What type of GPU is the integrated graphics? The Onkyo certainly seems capable of TrueHD/DTS-HD MA.

What version of XBMC are you using? Do you use add-on's? I ask as you might have better luck with a Gotham alpha build which allows you to select the output device as the Windows Default device, however it's likely a lot of add-ons won't be updated for Gotham yet so you'd need to check anything you rely on is compatible.
The onboard is Radeon HD 7660D and the discrete is Radeon HD 6570. Both work for HD Audio.
I'm not too worried about getting Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA via the Onkyo, as detailed in the third post of the thread for these formats to work the number of channels must be listed as 8 and my Sound Properties only lists 6. It would need an EDID Override to work correctly. I did test some of the ones listed at AVS Forums and got one to sort of work but if audio was not used for some time I had to turn the AV Receiver off and on for it to pick up again properly.

When I want to watch a BluRay movie with a HD Audio soundtrack I much prefer to use the Sony Headphones. These do work for HD Audio they play TrueHD and DTS-HD MA flawlessly. And I can have it loud without annoying neighbours. I use a different profile for this and have all the relevant formats enabled via Passthrough WASAPI.
I'm currently on Frodo 12.2 and it's a DSPlayer build.

As mentioned in the first post I'm just trying to find a seamless way to get the Sony to work without having to restart the PC. This is totally not an XBMC issue, it's AMD's flaky HDAudio drivers that are at fault so please do not waste time trying to troubleshoot from that end. But if anybody has a mix and match audio solution on their PC (like Nvidia integrated and AMD discrete for example) I'd be interested in finding out how this works for them.
What I was thinking is that if a Gotham build is used using the Default device then it would follow the switching of devices, but I've not experimented with it but at worst I would have thought closing and starting XBMC again would be necessary to pick up the change in device, and that can be automated by a script and mapped to a remote via one of the many hotscript programs.
(2014-01-03, 13:54)jjd-uk Wrote: What I was thinking is that if a Gotham build is used using the Default device then it would follow the switching of devices, but I've not experimented with it but at worst I would have thought closing and starting XBMC again would be necessary to pick up the change in device, and that can be automated by a script and mapped to a remote via one of the many hotscript programs.
I'd prefer not to disturb the current Frodo 12.2 build as I have a number of add-ons that will probably not work correctly with a Gotham build.
I'm debating on buying a HDMI 4 in 2 out matrix but I have some more things to try first. Including some batch enable/disable files which could maybe work. Had this working a few years ago on a different audio setup. Now all I have to do is try and find the old files and adapt accordingly.
Hello All,

First just want to say love XBMC, have used it for years...but this time I cant seem to get past this audio issue.

Basically what happens, is when I am playing one of my movies the audio will just cut in and out, the movie itself is fine, it doesnt skip, but the audio will. However, when I exit the movie back to the main menu, but the movie is still playing in the background, the audio fixes itself. But if I click back on the movie to watch, it starts to stutter again. When I did the log, I played the movie, then exited out to main, and then went back to movie, so you'd be able to see if something changed when I went to the main menu. I have a Yamaha AVR, and already double checked to make sure HDMI control was off, and audio is set to AMP.

Currently the PC is plugged into the AVR, and then the AVR has an HDMI cable going to my Epson projector in the theater.

Here is the required info.

and here is the link for the log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=105407

I appreciate your help in getting this taken care of.

Thanks
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10