• 40(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
(2013-11-14, 05:13)mdyasser2001 Wrote:
(2013-11-13, 13:16)jjd-uk Wrote: To default everything for now you have to remove the guisettings.xml file in your userdata folder.

With XBMC closed in the Start menu select Run and type %appdata% and navigate to XBMC/userdata folder, then I'd rename guisettings.xml to something like old-guisettings.xml (thus keeping original file), then start XBMC.

As for what went wrong, not sure and I'd need more information on how things are connected together to take a guess.

How is PC connected to TV?
How is PC connected to 5.1 Home Theatre box?

If using HDMI how is XBMC turned off & on? and from what state? for example do you put the PC to Sleep while XBMC is active or do you close XBMC first then what do you do if anything when returning to XBMC from Sleep.

Thanks jjd-uk for the help.
I will do as you mentioned regarding the guisettings.xml and report back.

For your questions,
How is PC connected to TV? PC --> HDMI --> Yamaha AVR RX-V373 --> HDMI --> Panasonic LED
How is PC connected to 5.1 Home Theatre box? Connected thro' HDMI to AVR.

I'm running XBMC over windows 7. I usually switch on TV --> AVR --> PC --> XBMC. I normally close XBMC first before putting the PC to sleep or shutdown.

I hope these answers your questions and hopefully find a solution. Meanwhile i will keep playing around and check various settings as well and report back if there are any improvements. Thanks.

Hi, i defaulted the guisettings.xml. Observed the .dts files and all other video files with HD audio played well.
All of them played fine even when i changed the settings to 5.1 with AC3 enabled. The AVR reported .dts files as Dolby Digital.
The problem occurred once i changed to DTS capable receiver. The DTS audio files wouldn't play, while all the other video files with HD audio plays fine.
I assume there is some issue with xbmc and DTS audio files. As these same files i was able to play in Foobar with Wasapi enabled.

Hoping there is a solution available for this. Thanks
I used to have these two problems.

1: Random audio/video stutter when watching a Blu-ray ISO, accompanied by a loud noise (bzzz-bzz-bzzz) that lasted 2-3 seconds and recurred frequently. How frequently, depends on the computers energy saving settings.

I solved it by turning of the timer that saves energy by stopping the hard drives from spinning. Apparently the stutter came from some type of electricity surge when the hard drives began to spin again. This probably happened after XBMC came to the end of the stored data in the RAM and needed to retrieve more data from the hard drive(?).

If you have Windows you should go to Start menu => Control panel => Hardware and Sound => Power Options => click on "Change plan settings" => click on "Change advanced power settings" => click on "Hard disk" => click on "Turn of hard disk after" => set it to "Never" => click "OK" at the bottom.

2: Buffering issues when watching a Blu-ray ISO from two of my hard drives, but not from my other hard drives. Eventually I realized that the buffering was due to the fact that these two hard drives where connected to a 4x PCI-E card (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/U3S6 that had two SATA 3 ports.

This card was supposed to speed things up, instead it did the opposite. I don't know why, but it was the cause of the buffering problem. I connected the hard drives to SATA 2.0 ports on the main motherboard and the buffering problem stopped.

This won't solve everyone's problems, but could be helpful in specific circumstances. I have reposted in different threads incase it could be useful to someone.

(W7, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Xonar Essence ST, Onkyo receiver, Sony projector, Eden and Transparency! 4.x)
(2013-11-15, 04:07)mdyasser2001 Wrote: Hi, i defaulted the guisettings.xml. Observed the .dts files and all other video files with HD audio played well.
All of them played fine even when i changed the settings to 5.1 with AC3 enabled. The AVR reported .dts files as Dolby Digital.
The problem occurred once i changed to DTS capable receiver. The DTS audio files wouldn't play, while all the other video files with HD audio plays fine.
I assume there is some issue with xbmc and DTS audio files. As these same files i was able to play in Foobar with Wasapi enabled.

You could try out the last monthly alpha build as there been a lot of work done on audio since Frodo in preparation for Gotham.
Can anyone recommend a stable version of Gotham 13? I've fixed my video stutter issue but the latest night build I got seems to be a bit buggy.
(2013-11-22, 14:44)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-11-15, 04:07)mdyasser2001 Wrote: Hi, i defaulted the guisettings.xml. Observed the .dts files and all other video files with HD audio played well.

You could try out the last monthly alpha build as there been a lot of work done on audio since Frodo in preparation for Gotham.

Thanks jjd-uk, will try the latest alpha build and report back.
Hi.

I've tried pretty much everything stated here... in all possible combinations. But I still get a lot of jerky/stuttering videos.

To explain my problem, I thought it best to show you what i'm facing. So... here's a video.

Hope you'll can help.
The only thing I noticed except that you are running the XBMC in Windowed mode instead of True Fullscreen is that then you played files in LPCM the playback of FPS had a hard time to stabilized around 23.98 and then you played some files in HD Master audio the FPS was stabilized at 23.98 and the video played fluently.
I have the same problem if my audio output is set wrong, can you try another audio output without WASAPI and see what happens.

How does it look then you are playing files with LPCM in True Fullscreen?
And bee sure you only have one monitor on then you start the computer so that it can be locket to just one output.

I don't know if any of this will help or if you already tried it, otherwise it could be worth a try.
Good luck.
(2013-12-08, 13:05)sarvajanik Wrote: Hi.

I've tried pretty much everything stated here... in all possible combinations. But I still get a lot of jerky/stuttering videos.

To explain my problem, I thought it best to show you what i'm facing. So... here's a video.

Hope you'll can help.

The immediate difference I can see between the working & not working is the not working LPCM movies are mono audio.

Please upload a debug log_file (wiki) of you playing a problematic file.

You also don't mention what version of XBMC you are testing with?

Perhaps also try setting Speaker Configuration to 1.0 before playing these movies to see if that makes any difference.
Thanks for replying guys.

HD Life... I tried true full screen and also changing my output to non-WASAPI... but no luck. Same results. Also, I believe I need to be on WASAPI if I wish to get DTS-HD and TrueHD for my other films right? So changing the audio output everytme would not be an ideal solution. [I did try it though - just to rule it out.]

jjd-uk... Here's the log file [http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=98089]. I'm on 12.1 Frodo. Running bootcamped on a late 2012 Mac Mini. And this machine does absolutely nothing but XBMC, Netflix & Hulu.

As for my speaker configuration... the lowest I can go is 2.0. [1.0 doesn't seem to be an option.]

The strangest part is... If I play the file using VLC... all the problematic files play flawlessly. Confused
Ok I can see there's a definite problem in that log however I'm not one of the developers so I can't tell what the cause is in this case. Since Frodo has been released the audio system has been significantly re-worked so I don't think I'll be able to get one of the dev's to take a look as the Frodo audio code is being depreciated, but what I can suggest is that you test again if you can with the latest nightly build from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

If you still have a problem with a nightly then I can flag it up to one of the dev's to take a look.

It can be install as a standalone test build so it doesn't impact your existing XBMC install:

1. Install to a different folder from the Frodo install, for example: C:/Program Files/XBMC-Gotham
2. Create a shortcut to XBMC.exe
3. Edit properties of the shortcut and add -p to the end of the Target to make XBMC open in Portable Mode, for example Target: "C:\Program Files\XBMC-Gotham\XBMC.exe" -p
4. Open XBMC and if you look at file system a new portable_data folder should be created which will be used to contain all userdata & libraries.

Btw, how do you create these files? are these mono tracks taken straight from the dvd/blu-ray? is there anyway you could perhaps create a mkv with a fake 2 channel track by muxing the mono track into both left & right channels?
Thanks again jjd-uk.

Did the above mentioned, step by step. Still the same. I think the picture is a bit more jerky now, with it taking a second or 2 to actually get hold of the colour-space as well. [Well, it starts off bright green and pixellates its way to black - not something that was happening with my previous install.]

Here's the new .log dump. http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=98115

I backup all my discs using MakeMKV. Straight off, no (further) compression, in their 'as-is-on-disc' formats. Video, Audio and Subs alike.

Just FYI, I'm facing this issue (not with the nightly, but with 12.1) in OS X as well. So it's not just a XBMC for Windows thingie. The only reason I'm actually bootcamped is to enjoy the HD Audio codecs

Appreciate your help.
I've just had a quick chat with one of our audio dev's and he's asked if you could you repost the issue over on this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170338&page=65 as that thread is being used by the audio dev's to track issues.

Mono tracks should be working with the new code but it appears something may have become broken with some recent channel mapping changes.

Please include the above Youtube video showing the problem together with a description and your latest log from the Gotham v13 nightly.
Thanks jjd-uk. Have done so with all details HERE.
Hey.

I have tried now for many weeks to get audio working with both HDMI and SPDIF.
My setup:
5.1 Speakers setup

HTPC:
AMD Radeon HD 5870 2GB (6 MDP ports) used for HDMI
Creative Soundblaster XFI 5.1 USB soundcard used for SPDIF
Asus P5Q-SE2 motherboard
4gb RAM
Intel SSD
6 TB of storage
Windows 7 64-bit

Benq W1000+ DLP projector
Onkyo tx-nr509 receiver (capable of HD audio)

Connected like this:
AVR --> HTPC via HDMI (MDP -> HDMI adapter on GPU) (HDMI)
AVR --> Creative soundcard via optical --> USB to HTPC (SPDIF)

I have been trough this troubleshooting guide, and WASAPI plays fine on all channels, when I have disabled all DTS/DD settings when I use SPDIF. When I enable the setting, video starts to stutter and there is no sound, on both directsound and wasapi. Please help!

When I try HDMI, in windows 7 it says "AMD HDMI Audio not plugged in" so there is no sound at all. The receiver says "no signal". I have reinstalled all the drivers and everything, tried override as well. I got it to work 1 time, but when I turned of the receiver windows said unplugged and receiver said "no signal".

I dont know what other things there is to do, please help! I will do everything to get it to work. I prefer HDMI so I hope to get a permanent solution for that. I can also live with SPDIF as backup, so it would be nice to get a solution on both.

Thank you for your replays! Smile
Evening gentlemen! So I finally got around to upgrading xbmc to the latest release last night (I was still on Eden!), and I've encountered an issue playing back files with PCM audio. All files containing PCM give me stuttered audio with a lot of loud popping from all channels. Here's my log file... http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101303

I should also note that I'm using WASAPI when I get these results. When I try Directsound, I get nothing but static. Didn't have any problems with these files on Eden!

I'm running Windows 7, 64bit. NVIDIA GT 610 video card > HDMI to Denon AVR-889 with 5.1 speaker setup. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10