Android NFS shares
Tried to post this in the Android specific area but the forum told me I didn't have permission, so please move it there if needed.

Anyway, I've tried a lot of the unofficial builds of XBMC Android leading up to the Beta 2 release; but since those weren't official I kept my mouth shut until now about this issue even though I've never gotten it to work right.

I have all my other XBMC instances accessing media via NFS shares from a NAS. When using XBMC on Android I cannot get the NFS protocol to work. Is this a limitation of Android or am I doing something wrong? NFS does not show up at all when using "add media", and if I type the share manually using nfs://...... I get a "share not found" error message when trying to open it.

I'd like to use NFS since all my other hosts are setup that way, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker. In the Android FAQ I see it says to try NFS as an option if experiencing choppy playback with SMB so I feel like I'm just missing something on my android device (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...choppiness)

For those interested I'm using a Motorola RAZR with the Ice Cream Sandwich update as the OS. All other functions in XBMC work great, playback via SMB does work as well as I've tried that just to get things working. I can post a debug log if needed.
Idk anything about android..

However NFS shares need to be exported properly ( the insecure flag has to be set) for XBMC to see them and I see no reason why android should be any different.

see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS for how to.

For instance a server that is not setting the insecure flag, shares would be seen in XBMC but you never get to navigate to content.

You can get around this by mounting the NFS shares in fstab. Howver if network is not up before fstab is read you will need to issue the mount command or find a way to send the command after boot process is complete and before xbmc is ready.

uNi

uNi
Thanks for the reply but I know the NFS shares are exported properly. They are being setup through a ReadyNAS device and I have multiple XBMC instances (Linux, Windows, and Rpi) in the house that can all see them with no issues. The Android system is the only one that cannot see these shares. In addition to that my MythTV server mounts one of them on startup to read/write data and it has never had any issues.

The fact that NFS isn't even a browseable option when looking for shares on the network is what is concerning me. If NFS support is even available on Android is kind of what I'm wondering.
It could be a android specific regression or bug or problem, would need a developer or expert to comment further on android.

I was only guessing anywho as I clearly stated I dont know XBMC android anything.

However you will certainly be needing a xbmc debug log pastebined somewhere with your problem.

uNi
Nfs is not supported on android yet.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thank you Memphis I will remember that for the future.

I know youd be the guy too clear this up. Smile

be well Image

uNi
I suspected that might be the answer. Smb will do for now. Thanks!
ah no biggie just a + here and there +
Ohh just fyi. NFS support is sorted for android already. Its just not included into android yet because we need a different libnfs version then we use on all other platforms. Not sure what TheUni will decide for frodo - its up to him and davilla i guess.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Been watching commits since Beta 1 was announced to get an idea of changes. Saw this go through:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/ab12...ae8e318e96

I think that might be the NFS support I'm looking for?
Yep - should be in beta3 already.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android NFS shares0