Best Deinterlacing
Why doesn't DXVA Best work on Intel platforms? Is it a matter of if, or when this will be fixed?
It requires someone who has an appropriate HW and wants it to be fixed. I am not sure if this can be fixed at all. Windows players probably do deinterlacing via the renderer (EVR) and not directly using DXVA2 processors. So it might be that Intel is not supporting its better deinterlacer via DXVA2 processors.
So, I don't know why, but if I force set NumBackwardRefSamples set to 0 for DXVA2_VideoProcIntelEdgeDevice into the xbmc sources then Best DXVA deinterlacing... works on intel platforms!
(2013-06-28, 16:34)afedchin Wrote: So, I don't know why, but if I force set NumBackwardRefSamples set to 0 for DXVA2_VideoProcIntelEdgeDevice into the xbmc sources then Best DXVA deinterlacing... works on intel platforms!

Not a coder. so would appreciate more detail on what you've done if not too much trouble. Tnx
If you are not a coder, I am afraid, you will not understand my explanation. In two words: I created a hack into xbmc code which just override value of NumBackwardRefSamples if the xbmc is going to use DXVA2_VideoProcIntelEdgeDevice for deinterlacing.
(2013-06-28, 19:06)afedchin Wrote: If you are not a coder, I am afraid, you will not understand my explanation. In two words: I created a hack into xbmc code which just override value of NumBackwardRefSamples if the xbmc is going to use DXVA2_VideoProcIntelEdgeDevice for deinterlacing.

Understood, thanks anyway. Any chance of passing this on to the dev team as a possible inclusion for fixing this problem?
I will try.
Thanks for looking in to this. I would love to se this fixed.
Hi,

thank you so much for doing this. :-) I would be so happy to see this. And again an offer to the developpers. If you need any HW for testing please let me know.

Regards,

Alex
@afedchin - if you have code to contribute that fixes an issue, the best thing to do is open up a pull request on Github.
On a side note I find it weird that the device capabilities are incorrectly reported and that you need to override the backward refs value.
This could be huge for a lot of people if it fixes it. I might be able to finally take out my AMD card that is only in there for the deinterlacing.
I have created the PR on GitHub https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2916
How does Intels deinterlacing compare with AMDs vector adaptive? Similar?
Hi,

I just downloaded a nighly build to see if it works and yes it does. Switching to DXVA Best does not freeze the picture any longer :-) That's the good news. The bad one is that the quality is even worse than in Soft Mode. No idea if that comes form the new Haswell or if that is the result you get with Intel. Very disappointing :-(

I double checked this with MPC and the Lav Decoder and it works much better there so I guess it only has to be optimized a bit :-)

Thanks anyway for all the work.

Regards,

B
Hi all,

does anybody get the same bad results as me?

Thanks and Regards,

Alex

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Deinterlacing 3