• 13(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
Oh my bad! I read 'you' instead of 'your'. LOL.

(2013-05-19, 18:37)da-anda Wrote: I didn't say you said it's skin specific - I say it could be skin specific as I noticed the same issue once and it was gone in Confluence IIRC

I have added a few more features like always start xbmc in 2d mode, use preferred 3d format like sbs or ou. This suits all my needs. A screen shot of the settings window:

mind creating PRs for this on elupus's branch (each setting a PR)?

A few comments on your settings:
The "Stereoscopic 3D Mode" setting should be dropped IMO, doesn't make sense to always show the GUI in 3D mode - it's flat anyways.
XBMC should always switch back to 2D on playback stop for now, which should make "Always start XBMC in 2D mode" obsolete, doesn't it?
Personally I'd like to see a setting "Preferred playback mode of 3D movies" with the options [Ask / 2D / 3D]. In case "Ask" is selected, we should display a dialog "This movie is available in 3D, would you like to watch it in 3D?" or something like that. In case of 2D, we convert it to 2D and in case of 3D, the "preferred 3D mode" is used.
I too felt 'Stereoscopic 3D Mode' setting is not essential for the same reasons as you mentioned. Will be removed.

If user closes xbmc in 3d mode, then next time it will start in the last used 3d mode. That is why I added 'Always start XBMC in 2D mode' so that user can select which option is needed. Will be removed so that xbmc will always start in 2d mode. Anyway who wants to see xbmc in a split window at startup?

'Preferred playback mode of 3D movies' - Options 2D and 3D can be added. For option 'Ask', how about displaying a selection message with the title '3D movie detected' and options 'Play in 3D' and 'Play in 2D' just like 'Resume from Stopped Position' and 'Start from beginning'.

I added another setting 'Automatically Switch to 3D mode' which I think can be replaced with 'Preferred playback mode of 3D movies'

There isa bug with subtitles in OU mode. The upper subtitle is positioned somewhat in the middle of the upper frame and so the two subtitles are never merged. I found this in FullHD TV resolution. In my 720p laptop it works correctly.

I am yet to familiarize with github. Pull request will be made after I making these changes.

Thanks for the suggestions.
(2013-05-20, 18:21)baijuxavior Wrote: I too felt 'Stereoscopic 3D Mode' setting is not essential for the same reasons as you mentioned. Will be removed.

If user closes xbmc in 3d mode, then next time it will start in the last used 3d mode. That is why I added 'Always start XBMC in 2D mode' so that user can select which option is needed. Will be removed so that xbmc will always start in 2d mode. Anyway who wants to see xbmc in a split window at startup?
exactly. If this should be configurable at all it could be moved to advancedSettings, but I really don't see a need for this atm. 2D on startup is a good default for now, and autoswitch/detection of 3D playback makes the 'Stereoscopic 3D mode' gui setting obsolete.

(2013-05-20, 18:21)baijuxavior Wrote: 'Preferred playback mode of 3D movies' - Options 2D and 3D can be added. For option 'Ask', how about displaying a selection message with the title '3D movie detected' and options 'Play in 3D' and 'Play in 2D' just like 'Resume from Stopped Position' and 'Start from beginning'.
fine with me, but I'd make the dialog message a bit more descriptive to be of better value for non-geeks.

(2013-05-20, 18:21)baijuxavior Wrote: I added another setting 'Automatically Switch to 3D mode' which I think can be replaced with 'Preferred playback mode of 3D movies'
yes

(2013-05-20, 18:21)baijuxavior Wrote: There isa bug with subtitles in OU mode. The upper subtitle is positioned somewhat in the middle of the upper frame and so the two subtitles are never merged. I found this in FullHD TV resolution. In my 720p laptop it works correctly.
Didn't have issues so far IIRC. What kind of subtitles was it? SRT?

I have some more ideas to make the 3D experience better, but let's first get the technical requirements in before tweaking the UI/skins Smile
Maybe it is also an idea to autodetect 3d through ffmpeg?
See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10409...ovie-is-3d

Regards,
Fred
Silverstone Grandia GD02-MT | AMD A8-3850 | Breakaway Audio Enhancer, HK AVR-365 | HKTS 30, Philips 50PFL7956H/12 21:9 3D
(2013-05-21, 09:36)da-anda Wrote:
(2013-05-20, 18:21)baijuxavior Wrote: [quote='baijuxavior' pid='1425489' dateline='1369066913']There isa bug with subtitles in OU mode. The upper subtitle is positioned somewhat in the middle of the upper frame and so the two subtitles are never merged. I found this in FullHD TV resolution. In my 720p laptop it works correctly.

It is SRT subtitle. I need to check if the bug is in the subtitle depth code. Will run the original elupus code to see if that also has this problem.

(2013-05-21, 09:48)Skixbmc Wrote: Maybe it is also an idea to autodetect 3d through ffmpeg?
See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10409...ovie-is-3d

Regards,
Fred

Isn't it for frame packed 3D? I'm not sure if that will work for SBS or OU movies. Advanced coders may look into it.
(2013-05-20, 18:21)baijuxavior Wrote: I too felt 'Stereoscopic 3D Mode' setting is not essential for the same reasons as you mentioned. Will be removed.

'Preferred playback mode of 3D movies' - Options 2D and 3D can be added. For option 'Ask', how about displaying a selection message with the title '3D movie detected' and options 'Play in 3D' and 'Play in 2D' just like 'Resume from Stopped Position' and 'Start from beginning'.

I added another setting 'Automatically Switch to 3D mode' which I think can be replaced with 'Preferred playback mode of 3D movies'

There isa bug with subtitles in OU mode. The upper subtitle is positioned somewhat in the middle of the upper frame and so the two subtitles are never merged. I found this in FullHD TV resolution. In my 720p laptop it works correctly.

I am yet to familiarize with github. Pull request will be made after I making these changes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe I don't understand well what dou you mean, but are you sure this is good idea to remove it? What if xbmc is unable to detect that playing movie is 3D? In this case, user should be able to set gui split manually to over under or side by side (anaglyph doesn't make any sense, since gui is always flat). User will need to switch tv do 3d mode manually and switch xbmc gui split to 3d manually as well. Removing this don't seem to me to be good idea.

Also, please remember that not all users have 3D tv with CEC support connected. I have 3D computer monitor connected to my pc via hdmi. But there is no way to automatically detect this monitor has 3D support, also there is no way to automatically switch this monitor into 3D mode (this work only for 3D tvs). So, if there are some functions dependent from automatically detected 3D support and not available if 3D support is not detected, it's not good idea. Manual switch should always exist.
Manual switch is not removed. It can be called by assigning a shortcut key like <y>3dmode</y>. 'Stereoscopic 3D Mode' option is removed (actually hidden) from settings page only (see the image). Would you go to settings page to change the 3d mode or rather use a shortcut?
Quote:Would you go to settings page to change the 3d mode or rather use a shortcut?
For me personally.... it depends. Main problem with shortcut - keyboard is needed. All the rest of things that are needed to be done, can be done with mouse (I use wireless mouse). Even if I have keyboard connected, I still need to stand up and press 'y'. So this option in settings menu may be useful in some cases.Good example is Raspberry PI as media center. I usually don't want keyboard connected to it, wireless mouse is enough. The same if I have pc hidden behind my tv, configured to start xbmc automatically. There is no place and need to connect keyboard.

At the end... I don't think this option is unusable itself. But maybe you should place it somehwere in video settings available during playback? Next to aspect ratio and other video settings. Instead of main xbmc settings. 3D mode selected this way sholud be stored for each movie separately (if user choose settings as default for this movie) and stop playback = switch to 2D mode again (or, probably last used mode selected globally). When user starts the same movie next time, all video settings are loaded again (it works this way already) + selected previously 3D mode.
All of this would be custom settings to override auto detected 3d mode. Note that 3d auto detect functionality can detect 3d mode incorrectly in some cases, or even not detect as 3d at all (wrong file name, no 3d tag or wrong 3d tag inside mkv etc). So possibility to override it and store settings for each movie is not bad idea.

Of course, 'y' switch will be enough in most cases anyway (I thought you are going to remove manual switch completly). But I think my idea will be useful for people who want to use mouse only to control xbmc remotely. And for movies that can't be detected as 3D correctly. This option in xbmc settings is not very useful, because I need to stop playback, go to settings, set 3d mode and start playback again (or mimize playback). And it's still global setting, not for each movie.
(2013-05-21, 13:45)giaur Wrote:
Quote:Would you go to settings page to change the 3d mode or rather use a shortcut?
For me personally.... it depends. Main problem with shortcut - keyboard is needed. All the rest of things that are needed to be done, can be done with mouse (I use wireless mouse). Even if I have keyboard connected, I still need to stand up and press 'y'. So this option in settings menu may be useful in some cases.Good example is Raspberry PI as media center. I usually don't want keyboard connected to it, wireless mouse is enough. The same if I have pc hidden behind my tv, configured to start xbmc automatically. There is no place and need to connect keyboard.

The option is not removed, but hidden and can be viewed in Standard level and above.

Quote:At the end... I don't think this option is unusable itself. But maybe you should place it somehwere in video settings available during playback? Next to aspect ratio and other video settings. Instead of main xbmc settings. 3D mode selected this way sholud be stored for each movie separately (if user choose settings as default for this movie) and stop playback = switch to 2D mode again (or, probably last used mode selected globally). When user starts the same movie next time, all video settings are loaded again (it works this way already) + selected previously 3D mode.
All of this would be custom settings to override auto detected 3d mode. Note that 3d auto detect functionality can detect 3d mode incorrectly in some cases, or even not detect as 3d at all (wrong file name, no 3d tag or wrong 3d tag inside mkv etc). So possibility to override it and store settings for each movie is not bad idea.

Good suggestion, but needs more time to code. I have only just started to analyze these codes. The xbmc source code is just overwhelming.

(2013-05-21, 10:58)baijuxavior Wrote:
(2013-05-21, 09:36)da-anda Wrote:
(2013-05-20, 18:21)baijuxavior Wrote: [quote='baijuxavior' pid='1425489' dateline='1369066913']There isa bug with subtitles in OU mode. The upper subtitle is positioned somewhat in the middle of the upper frame and so the two subtitles are never merged. I found this in FullHD TV resolution. In my 720p laptop it works correctly.

It is SRT subtitle. I need to check if the bug is in the subtitle depth code. Will run the original elupus code to see if that also has this problem.

Tested the elupus version and subtitles function correctly in OU mode. This is a problem with subtitle depth. Setting depth to '0' solved the problem but is a not a permanent solution.
(2013-05-21, 13:45)giaur Wrote:

At the end... I don't think this option is unusable itself. But maybe you should place it somehwere in video settings available during playback? Next to aspect ratio and other video settings. Instead of main xbmc settings. 3D mode selected this way sholud be stored for each movie separately (if user choose settings as default for this movie) and stop playback = switch to 2D mode again (or, probably last used mode selected globally). When user starts the same movie next time, all video settings are loaded again (it works this way already) + selected previously 3D mode.

Of course, 'y' switch will be enough in most cases anyway (I thought you are going to remove manual switch completly). But I think my idea will be useful for people who want to use mouse only to control xbmc remotely. And for movies that can't be detected as 3D correctly. This option in xbmc settings is not very useful, because I need to stop playback, go to settings, set 3d mode and start playback again (or mimize playback). And it's still global setting, not for each movie.
my plan was to add the 3D toggle and cycle functions to the full screen OSD in the same way as it recently has been done for subtitles in Confluence. They simply don't make sense at current position.

@3D detection via ffmpeg
ffmpeg is already used
Quote:my plan was to add the 3D toggle and cycle functions to the full screen OSD in the same way as it recently has been done for subtitles in Confluence.
It's better solution than xbmc settings menu.

But it will be skin specific so it's really not nice. And still global setting, so when I play the same movie again, I need to adjust the same again. There is good functionality to remember some settings for each movie separately, why not to add 3D settings there? Even if this will cause more work to do, it can be done once, it will be universal and skin independent.
we can do this once the audio/video settings dialogs have been refactored to match the new settings system.
(2013-05-21, 23:16)da-anda Wrote: [quote='giaur' pid='1426122' dateline='1369136704']

my plan was to add the 3D toggle and cycle functions to the full screen OSD in the same way as it recently has been done for subtitles in Confluence. They simply don't make sense at current position.

@3D detection via ffmpeg
ffmpeg is already used

I replaced the 3d toggle function with a menu which is much easier to use.

The 3d settings page:

User prompt to select the mode of playback if the option 'preferred playback mode for 3d' is set to 'show choice':

3D Mode - GUI switches to 3d view, 2D Mode - GUI switched to 2D and movie converted to 2D, Normal mode - 2D GUI and movie is untouched.

3d detection strings for SBS movies - A simple "SBS" will do the trick but also added "3DSBS", "HSBS", H-SBS, "3D.SBS", " SBS ".

3d detection strings for OU movies - "3DTAB", "HTAB", "3DOU", "3D.OU", " OU ", "H-OU". Strings OU and TAB are not used as they can result in false detection.

I personally use MovieName.3D.SBS.Blu-Ray format as it can show 3D blu-ray cover in Aeon Nox skin.

Two bugs to fix - 3d subtitle depth is not working in OU mode. Conversion from 3d to 2d is not working if the gui is already in 3d mode.
nice work so far. Please make sure that the 3D detection by filename is synced with the OMX player (ideally make it a util function or something and move the string/regex to advanced settings). Also I hope the 3D detection is making use of the ffmpeg stream flags (or how this stuff is called).
Please note that this is just my personal view on those things - nothing official from the Team. So our devs might have different preferences on where to put things.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11