• 28(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
(2013-06-28, 23:10)TeKo Wrote: I put the link in my sig, its always the same Link, and I try to compile every bigger change.

Its uploading right now, so in probably 15mins the download should be rdy.
Hi TeKo,
I just tried your XBMC-3D build (from your signature).
The version is Gotham Alpha 5 running on Acer Revo RL100 with Win 7.

I have Samsung 3D TV (46D6530).

Here's some feedback:
1. I tried playing a SBS 3D movie. It played in 2D but using the GUI, I managed to change the setting to 3D SBS but the TV does not switch automatically to 3D. So StereoScopic setting of AUTO did not switch the TV to 3D automatically. Once set to SBS, the player buttons appear and there's a 3D icon next to the subtiltle icon. It would be nice to see the 3D icon there all the time. So for SBS video, my TV does not switch to 3D (but I have to press the 3D button on the remote) and so behaves exactly the same as Frodo today without 3D.

2. I tried playing a MVC-3D movie (not SBS or TAB) but screen goes blank. I was expecting it to play at least in 2D and at the best in 3D but not a black screen.

3. When I exited XBMC and back into windows, and later started XBMC again, and tried to play the same SBS video sample, I got a black screen and the whole user system was laggy and unresponsive till I managed to stop the video (which was not playing on the screen).

Ideally, I'd rather not convert my MVC-3D collection to SBS but play them as they are.
Am I right in assuming the native MVC-3D is NOT supported in Gotham ?
Or is it work-in-progress ?
1. Automatic switching of TV to 3D mode is not supported yet. The 'StereoScopic setting of AUTO' is for automatically switching the GUI to SBS or OU depending on the movie.

2. MVC-3D is not supported.

3. This is some kind of bug not related to 3D. I have seen this in my system. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=167298
@baijuxavior thx for the quick reply.
So the stereocopic setting is for displaying the GUI correctly and nothing to do with 3D play back.
As a suggestion, I would rename the that menu item to "StereoScopic GUI"

Shame MVC-3D will not be supported as this is now an industry standard common format for all 3D going forward.

Ah well, I'll just have to find another solution other than XBMC.
This mede8er looks very interesting !
At present stereoscopic setting is for switching the gui to correct mode only. It also supports anaglyph 3d and interlaced in linux. Interlaced mode is useful if you have passive 3d tv. For automatic switching, frame packed 3d conversion is needed. Let us hope the developers will come with a solution.

AFAIK, not many players support mvc-3d. I tried tmt5, windvd and stereoscopic player. But none of them worked in my system. WinDVD can automatically convert sbs movies to 3d frame packed.

Before going for another hd player check if your tv can detect the movie as 3d. My SonyTV automatically detects 3d sbs movies, but it does not play mkv files.
To be honest, I am not too concerned about the TV not switching automatically. For me and all Samsung TV's, it a one simple button press.
I can live with that one button press, as long as the player plays the MVC-3D coded video.
PowerDVD plays MVC-3D fine - the TV even auto detects and switches to 3D.
So it can be done.

I am about to try out TMT and I am sure it will work too.

Hopefully, one day ffmpeg developers will see the value in decoding MVC-3D and outputting frame-packed.
It has already been a long wait so not holding my breadth. Shame.
(2013-07-04, 19:40)macnb Wrote: I can live with that one button press, as long as the player plays the MVC-3D coded video.

Please don't overreact and don't say "shame". First, I'm pretty sure that most 3d movies watched by people are 3d mkvs, not mvc-3d (ok, maybe not your case, but anyway - it's true). Second - most important feature is to correctly display gui, subtitles and handle zoom correctly in 3d mode. This is what normal xbmc version can't do, so watching 3d movies is a pain. Youe should not expect xbmc to have all features, that not every commercial and paid application have.

You can convert 3d->2d, 3d->anaglyph, 3d->interlaced and you can comfortably watch most popuplar 3d movie formats. I don't think "shame" is good definition here. If you mean that no mvc-3d support makes all things useless, I disagree.
guys, one step after another. Let's first get proper GUI handling in and then see what we can do about frame packed format etc. But as you already noticed, we depend on ffmpeg to support stuff first.
(2013-07-04, 22:03)giaur Wrote:
(2013-07-04, 19:40)macnb Wrote: I can live with that one button press, as long as the player plays the MVC-3D coded video.

Please don't overreact and don't say "shame". First, I'm pretty sure that most 3d movies watched by people are 3d mkvs, not mvc-3d (ok, maybe not your case, but anyway - it's true). Second - most important feature is to correctly display gui, subtitles and handle zoom correctly in 3d mode. This is what normal xbmc version can't do, so watching 3d movies is a pain. Youe should not expect xbmc to have all features, that not every commercial and paid application have.

You can convert 3d->2d, 3d->anaglyph, 3d->interlaced and you can comfortably watch most popuplar 3d movie formats. I don't think "shame" is good definition here. If you mean that no mvc-3d support makes all things useless, I disagree.
Sorry "Shame" on it's own is wrong. I did not mean to disrespect or shame the developers - far from it. What I meant was that it's a shame that other players (TMT, Powerdvd, Bino, etc,) are capable of playing full 3D but not yet ffmpeg.
No I am not saying XBMC is useless without it but would complete the feature-set of a modern media centre.

Ability to play MVC-3D in XBMC would be a game changer.

Regarding MKV's, there would be no need for anyone to convert MVC-3D to SBS, or TAB or interface or any other 3D format if ffmpeg decoded and frame packed the video. Besides, one needs commercial software to do a descent encode of MVC-3D to SBS or TAB H.264 and a descent system and a lot of time to do the convert (with reduced quality as an end result). This is what most people are doing to get around the issue and not necessarily by choice.
BTW, there's no need to convert MVC-3D to 2D as the current ffmpeg already decodes & plays the MVC-3D in 2D (just the left eye).

OK, so in the mean time, I agree that the GUI needs to be prepared first for 3D. And then hopefully ffmpeg developers listen and prioritise 3D playback.
Was also really hoping for 3d MVC as I am assuming any other option involve quality loss?

But I am just happy to see work in this area, and you guys are right getting the gui and everything working first.

TMT also worked fine for me without issue really for 3d bluray 1:1 rip, but i gave up using external players, was such a pain, thats why this work is very exciting.
(2013-07-05, 02:08)Ghostdivision Wrote: Was also really hoping for 3d MVC as I am assuming any other option involve quality loss?

But I am just happy to see work in this area, and you guys are right getting the gui and everything working first.

TMT also worked fine for me without issue really for 3d bluray 1:1 rip, but i gave up using external players, was such a pain, thats why this work is very exciting.

Just rip to over/under in high bitrate and the quality should be ok.
Any ripping to O/U or SBS will involve quality loss, like any other transcoding quality is lost every time.

Also the resolution will be decreased, more quality loss.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-07-05, 02:37)TeKo Wrote:
(2013-07-05, 02:08)Ghostdivision Wrote: Was also really hoping for 3d MVC as I am assuming any other option involve quality loss?

Just rip to over/under in high bitrate and the quality should be ok.

Yea over under, SBS is no go for me, I have been avoiding it for some time and just playing the actual blu ray physical copies in a ps3.

For those with larger tv's or projectors who care about quality, loosing resolution is a non starter. I suppose I can just continue playing the physical copies in the ps3 then.
(2013-07-05, 07:19)nickr Wrote: Also the resolution will be decreased, more quality loss.

No resolution loss for passive tvs and half over under. Note that passive display has 1920x540 resolution in 3d mode (540 even/odd lines) , so higher movie resolution will not make any difference. If your tv is passive 3d, half over under with high bitrate should look like the same as bluray 3d or with only small quality loss (because of re-encoding, not resolution).
Re-encoding is not ideal for me anyway. Half over under still has reduced vertical resolution as far as I know. I would much prefer frame packing like some, but we wont get into it here.

I am also unsure of many passive 3d tv's other then vizio and LG, i seem to recall alot of the big tv manufacturers use active 3d.
(2013-07-05, 16:47)Ghostdivision Wrote: Re-encoding is not ideal for me anyway.
Sure, it's not ideal - takes a long time etc..

(2013-07-05, 16:47)Ghostdivision Wrote: Half over under still has reduced vertical resolution as far as I know.
It's true, but you will see that only on active tv - passive tvs have reduced vertical resolution, the same as over under movie.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11